Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Yes i agree with Awol. I think Gerrard has come in . Assessed the yougsters and decided that they do have a bright future. Many people say only a couple of them will make it but when you try and be extremely tough and only write down the best of our academy the list is quite deep

KESLER 

FEENEY

IROEGBUNAM 

AARON RAMSEY

BOGARDE

CHUKWUEMEKA 

then you go below that and we have Archer  Bidace Barry and Caleb as forwards

Chrisene Raikhy Lindley as midfielders

Swinkels and Patterson defenders 

Sinisalo as goalie 

Its a really decent group that have a chance of being our golden generation . 16 names . If 6 make it then it totally changes our outlook even if the other 10 are sold ala Chelsea

• Like 2

I think what we're seeing is "new information". The plan was to focus on the 23-25yo signings. But we can see and Gerrard is certainly telling Purslow/Lange. This team is soft, it lacks grit, leaders and experienced heads. 

If we had Digne for example at Brentford we would have had a leader in the back 4 where we really missed Mings. We have Bailey and Buendia trying to adapt to the Premier League and get up to speed. We don't need to add any more players like that we need to add in a couple of proven Premier League performers. Digne and Bissouma for example.

• Like 3

On 02/01/2022 at 16:25, Delphinho123 said:

We’ve spent so much on players that simply aren’t good enough. 

Apart from a few squad fillers we needed to get upon promotion we brought pretty well. Luiz, Watkins, Martinez, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Konsa, Mings and Cash are certainly 'good enough'. Sanson and Traore could probably be added to that list as well. Whether they fit into Gerrard's system is another thing and only time will tell if they  go on to be successful here. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

The way I see it the Grealish deal has damaged Purslow ego hence the Ings panic signing and the now big name transfers. 

He then brought in a big name but unproven manager who has in fairness done OK so far. Then he signed the first 2 big names that came onto the market

For me I just see red flags at the moment hope I am wrong

Have to agree, the Ings signing does seem like a panic buy, i'm not entirely sure that Purslow was responsible for it, but Smith couldn't find a way to make room for Watkins and Ings, and Gerrard doesn't seem to be trying to. I have a feeling that Watkins could be sacrificed in the summer.

2 hours ago, dukes said:

Have to agree, the Ings signing does seem like a panic buy, i'm not entirely sure that Purslow was responsible for it, but Smith couldn't find a way to make room for Watkins and Ings, and Gerrard doesn't seem to be trying to. I have a feeling that Watkins could be sacrificed in the summer.

Watkins has missed games this season through injury and illness and Ings has played and scored in 3 of those games. Can't see why having an experienced goal scorer like Ings in our squad is some kind of bad panic buy. We had only one capable CF in Watkins and injury to him and it could have ruied our whole season, we saw what happened with Wesley. 

Signing Ings was very astute, when our captain was being sold you have added experience and leadership in Ings. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Watkins has missed games this season through injury and illness and Ings has played and scored in 3 of those games. Can't see why having an experienced goal scorer like Ings in our squad is some kind of bad panic buy. We had only one capable CF in Watkins and injury to him and it could have ruied our whole season, we saw what happened with Wesley. 

Signing Ings was very astute, when our captain was being sold you have added experience and leadership in Ings. 

IOur captain was a left sided winger, Ings doesn't help replace him.

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Interesting views from Christian in a video I saw on the sky sports app in regards to our two signings thus far. Also hinted that there may be one or two irons in the fire still. 

He's very good isn't he? Very media friendly. Interesting interview as well... all about getting experience and proven winners in. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

I really do not agree that our purchases have been bad. If you look at our players, I would say that we have spent less than what you should expect in some of our areas. Also, Purslow has not been responsible for whole time I have listed players from here. But I would like to emphasise that to progress, we have to move up from doing bargains in the 5-15 mill interval to doing good purchases in the 15-30 mill interval. And when you know that there will always be som misses among the hits, we should expect some 25 mill flops also when we try to progress up to the topp 8 teams. Anyhow, here is a list I made getting the numbers from Soccerbase and articles regarding transfers: 

Keepers:

Emiliano Martinez (29 years old) 17 mill (what a signing!!!)

We also had Nyland, Heaton (bought for 8 mill, gave him a free transfer) and Love Kalinic, which obviously did not work out great (though Heaton was good until the injury)

CBs:

Kortney Hause (26 years old) 3 mill

Ezri Konsa (24 years old) 12 mill

Tyrone Mings (28 years old) 20 mill

And we even managed to sell Engels for 300k less that we bought him for. A signing that did not work and we recouped most of the money.

We need another permanent CB (not just a loanee), but the three we now have, has cost us 35 mill. 

RB/WB:

Frederic Guilbert (27 years old) 4.3 mill (he obviously did not work out, but not a crazy figure)

Matt Target (26 years old) 15.6 mill (not a good first season, but I think he was very good last season - think he is a decent squad player and if we sell, we would probably recoup most of the money)

Matty Cash (24 years old) 16 mill (great signing)

Lucas Digne (28 years old) 25 mill (new signing, so impossible to know)

We can also use Ashley Young, who came as a free transfer.

PS. We released Ahmed Elmohamady. He was bough for 1 mill and de did the job. 

CMs

John Mc Ginn (27 years old) 3 mill (what a bargain!!!)

Douglas Luiz (23 years old) 15 mill (worth the money - will probably be sold for more if sold)

Marvellous Nakamba (27 years old) 11 mill (seems like he has been worth the money)

Morgan Samson (27 years old) 14 mill (has taken time, but did have a good second half against United today) 

Emiliano Buendia (25 years old) 33 mill (expensive, but getting better and better)

Leon Bailey (24 years old) 25 mill (not settled and injury prone)

Philippe Coutinho (29 years old) loan (Im excited)

Wingers

Anwar El Ghazi (26 years old) 8 mill (on loan to Everton now)

Trezeguet (27 years old) 8.75 mill (probably on his way out)

Bertrand Traore (26 years old) 17 mill (shows glimpses, but I have been a bit disappointed - not sure we will lose a lot if selling him now)

Ashley Young (36 years old) free transfer

Strikers

Wesley (25 years old) 22 mill (not a hit, injured - back at Club Brugge on loan)

Mbwana Samatta (29 years old) 10 mill (fiasco - sold for 5.5 mill to Fenerbache after first a loan)

Ollie Watkins (26 years old) 28 mill (great last season - a bit more dodgy this season - do not think the value has dropped too much)

Danny Ings (29 years old) 25 mill (has struggled a bit - only 4 goals in 13 starts - but I can see him getting some goals with our attacking midfield coming throug)

PS. I edited and put Traore in the wingers bracket. But I think he can play attacking CM and as a striker too.

Edited by DeepDish

14 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

I really do not agree that our purchases have been bad. If you look at our players, I would say that we have spent less than what you should expect in some of our areas. Also, Purslow has not been responsible for whole time I have listed players from here. But I would like to emphasise that to progress, we have to move up from doing bargains in the 5-15 mill interval to doing good purchases in the 15-30 mill interval. And when you know that there will always be som misses among the hits, we should expect some 25 mill flops also when we try to progress up to the topp 8 teams. Anyhow, here is a list I made getting the numbers from Soccerbase and articles regarding transfers: 

Keepers:

Emiliano Martinez (29 years old) 17 mill (what a signing!!!)

We also had Nyland, Heaton (bought for 8 mill, gave him a free transfer) and Love Kalinic, which obviously did not work out great (though Heaton was good until the injury)

CBs:

Kortney Hause (26 years old) 3 mill

Ezri Konsa (24 years old) 12 mill

Tyrone Mings (28 years old) 20 mill

And we even managed to sell Engels for 300k less that we bought him for. A signing that did not work and we recouped most of the money.

We need another permanent CB (not just a loanee), but the three we now have, has cost us 35 mill. 

RB/WB:

Frederic Guilbert (27 years old) 4.3 mill (he obviously did not work out, but not a crazy figure)

Matt Target (26 years old) 15.6 mill (not a good first season, but I think he was very good last season - think he is a decent squad player and if we sell, we would probably recoup most of the money)

Matty Cash (24 years old) 16 mill (great signing)

Lucas Digne (28 years old) 25 mill (new signing, so impossible to know)

We can also use Ashley Young, who came as a free transfer.

PS. We released Ahmed Elmohamady. He was bough for 1 mill and de did the job. 

CMs

John Mc Ginn (27 years old) 3 mill (what a bargain!!!)

Douglas Luiz (23 years old) 15 mill (worth the money - will probably be sold for more if sold)

Marvellous Nakamba (27 years old) 11 mill (seems like he has been worth the money)

Bertrand Traore (26 years old) 17 mill (shows glimpses, but I have been a bit disappointed - not sure we will lose a lot if selling him now)

Morgan Samson (27 years old) 14 mill (has taken time, but did have a good second half against United today) 

Emiliano Buendia (25 years old) 33 mill (expensive, but getting better and better)

Leon Bailey (24 years old) 25 mill (not settled and injury prone)

Philippe Coutinho (29 years old) loan (Im excited)

Wingers

Anwar El Ghazi (26 years old) 8 mill (on loan to Everton now)

Trezeguet (27 years old) 8.75 mill (probably on his way out)

Ashley Young (36 years old) free transfer

Strikers

Wesley (25 years old) 22 mill (not a hit, injured - back at Club Brugge on loan)

Mbwana Samatta (29 years old) 10 mill (fiasco - sold for 5.5 mill to Fenerbache after first a loan)

Ollie Watkins (26 years old) 28 mill (great last season - a bit more dodgy this season - do not think the value has dropped too much)

Danny Ings (29 years old) 25 mill (has struggled a bit - only 4 goals in 13 starts - but I can see him getting some goals with our attacking midfield coming throug)

Traore has been a success 7 goal 7 assists in his first season. Can’t see us losing Money on him tbh 

On 10/01/2022 at 13:13, CVByrne said:

Agree 100%. The issue we have is playing them both and that’s a coaching decision. We absolutely need two good PL strikers in the squad.

Â