18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We need to try and finishing as high as possible which is 4th.

Do not rest players and risk losing momentum. We need to keep this winning run going.

Tough one though isn't it?

We don't rest players, risk injuries, suspensions and losing key players for the monumental games of the season.

Catch 22.

To be fair, with the way we have been playing and the spirit we have developed, I genuinely think we can rotate players and still get results.

The whole squad seems to be running on adrenaline, confidence and team spirit.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We need to try and finishing as high as possible which is 4th.

Do not rest players and risk losing momentum. We need to keep this winning run going.

On the flip side there really is not much difference between finishing 4th or 5th, other than which team plays home leg first.. why take the risk of injuring key players?

These last 2 games are almost meaningless. I'd leave Abraham out of the next 2, along with Grealish & McGinn. Leave the rest as is. Those 3 are absolute key.

• Like 3

I would leave Abraham out for the next two games.

I would play McGinn and Grealish against Leeds and see where it gets us in terms of WBA. At the least a good performance and a win destroys even more confidence in Leeds.

Against Norwich we should be resting players, Grealish has no need to be playing, McGinn could do with a week off.

On 29/12/2018 at 12:09, Enda said:

We're not gonna win the league, but it's mad to suggest we couldn't get promoted. Season's only halfway done, and we're there or thereabouts in terms of points and quality. I say we'll finish about 5th.

Just gonna put it out there that I called 5th place a long time ago 😎

• Like 4

The Leeds game will be interesting - it's a good gauge of where both teams are going into the playoffs. If I were Bielsa, I'd consider resting players for the next two games so that his team get some of their energy back for the playoff games - they're a high intensity side and if they can get a rest they'll be a big danger.

On the last day of the regular season at Villa Park, I think if we beat Norwich, Sheffield United will be Champions and if not, it'll be Norwich - they'll have something to play for, even though the big prize is finishing in the top two.

A two legged tie against the Albion will not be easy and we'll need a bit of luck.

There's a way to go yet, I have no idea how many chickens I got and I've no intention of finding out just yet.

Bad news for Leeds is that it appears Alioski has been ruled out for the rest of the season.

Looking at their stats and (aside from Hernandez) he has been one of their main offensive weapons (played every game, 2nd for key passes per game and crosses per game).

He certainly caused us a lot of problems so glad we won't have to face him (assuming we play them!)

• Like 2

My team for leeds:

Steer

Hutton   axle         Jedi      Hause

Whelan

Connor      Lansbury

Adomah       kodija        green

My team for norwich:

Steer

Elmo    mings     Hause    Taylor

Connor

Mcginn     jack

Adomah         tammy        kodija

Sub off jack, sjm and tammy after an hour    

I'm of the mindset that we still need to play our best team and try to beat Leeds & Norwich going into the playoffs.  Position wise, we'll still end up playing WBA in the playoffs, regardless, but the effect beating one or both of Leeds/Norwich will resonate with the team's confidence more than trying to rest and save our players for the playoff games and losing them.  Take these games one at a time and try keep the winning streak going.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rubberman said:

What is our current ppg with Smith and Grealish?  Must be quite special.

We are now P18 W14 D2 L2 Pts 44 = 2.44... PPG under Dean Smith with Jack Grealish fit.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I'm of the mindset that we still need to play our best team and try to beat Leeds & Norwich going into the playoffs.  Position wise, we'll still end up playing WBA in the playoffs, regardless, but the effect beating one or both of Leeds/Norwich will resonate with the team's confidence more than trying to rest and save our players for the playoff games and losing them.  Take these games one at a time and try keep the winning streak going.  

Indeed, remember the hangover from the 3-0 loss to Swansea in the FA cup.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we win our next 2 and Albion lost to derby we finish 4th. Is first leg away worth going all out in the next 2 games? 

I’m not sure it is.

Last half hour, we need to score to win the tie, where would you rather be, Hawthorns, or kicking towards the Holte in a packed to the rafters Villa Park taking the roof off every time we attack?

That said, going all out in the last two carries big risks that could really compromise our chances of succeeding in the playoffs whoever we have to play.

Tough decisions and very fine lines coming up...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

On the flip side there really is not much difference between finishing 4th or 5th, other than which team plays home leg first.. why take the risk of injuring key players?

These last 2 games are almost meaningless. I'd leave Abraham out of the next 2, along with Grealish & McGinn. Leave the rest as is. Those 3 are absolute key.

I think playing at home in the second leg is an enormous advantage and we should do our utmost to make that happen. 

Let alone it keeps our sky high confidence up there and would damage the confidence of Olbeyun who were nailed on to finish above us for the last 2 months. 

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Tough one though isn't it?

We don't rest players, risk injuries, suspensions and losing key players for the monumental games of the season.

Catch 22.

That is a Major Major Major Major decision.  

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think playing at home in the second leg is an enormous advantage and we should do our utmost to make that happen. 

Let alone it keeps our sky high confidence up there and would damage the confidence of Olbeyun who were nailed on to finish above us for the last 2 months. 

Theres no away goals rule, so I don't think it matters as much as people make out in that scenario. Usually the away teams try to score one then sit back in the first leg. 

With no away goal rule, it levels it out. If youre playing home first it doesnt matter if you concede as long as you win taking a lead into the 2nd leg.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That is a Major Major Major Major decision.  

Yes its a massive decision.. One I'm glad I don't have to make. 

For me I wouldn't risk mings/jack/mcgin/Abraham. 

I get the continuity thing, but how would you be feeling if jack gets taken out vs Leeds to miss the rest of the season.. Gutted I imagine.. 

I think if its decided they are to be rested, at least for most of those 2 games, it won't harm confidence if it's already been sorted out. 

The players will be aware we are coasting through those games eyeing the playoffs. 

Sure I'd prefer to win both, play everyone and go into the playoffs with a fully fit team.. But the thought of playing those playoff games without jack (or one of the others) would really worry me.. I don't think it's worth the risk

10 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Yes its a massive decision.. One I'm glad I don't have to make. 

For me I wouldn't risk mings/jack/mcgin/Abraham. 

I get the continuity thing, but how would you be feeling if jack gets taken out vs Leeds to miss the rest of the season.. Gutted I imagine.. 

I think if its decided they are to be rested, at least for most of those 2 games, it won't harm confidence if it's already been sorted out. 

The players will be aware we are coasting through those games eyeing the playoffs. 

Sure I'd prefer to win both, play everyone and go into the playoffs with a fully fit team.. But the thought of playing those playoff games without jack (or one of the others) would really worry me.. I don't think it's worth the risk

This is exactly where I am. I don't particularly think the players need the rest but God forbid we lose Jack or McGinn for the play offs, through picking up an injury at Leeds/Norwich it would be devastating.

I think Leeds will be resting players if Sheffield Utd win on Saturday so I think we can still field a reasonably strong side and try keep the winning run going. Look at it another way, players who haven't played much will be chomping at the bit to stake a claim for a play-off place! 

I'd rest Whelan and play a second string.

Bielsa is a crafty git, i fully expect him to target our key players and instruct his players to go in heavy but "fair".

Edited by AshVilla