18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 minute ago, maxjackle said:

Assuming we are 4th or 5th does that mean we play later on the Saturday and then on the Weds (The B fixture?)

Yes. First leg is Saturday (5 v 4) then the return midweek (4 v 5)

Just now, Nigel said:

Do we play a full strength team and allow them to learn from it?

Yes as almost any result is something to learn from. It also allows us to play with less fear if we go to their ground on Sunday and win. Play-offs can be tense because you don't know what to expect, but we're here with a dress rehearsal so lets make the most of it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Yes as almost any result is something to learn from. It also allows us to play with less fear if we go to their ground on Sunday and win. Play-offs can be tense because you don't know what to expect, but we're here with a dress rehearsal so lets make the most of it. 

Agree. Continue our run and kick them while they're down.

7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Do we play a full strength team and allow them to learn from it?

I think we will play a strong side but there will be a couple of people rested. Tammy is obviously injured, McGinn has to be taken out due to the bookings situation, and i think Whelan will be rested. I'd also be tempted to rest Jack and El Ghazi. I'd go with something like this:

Steer

Elmo   Axel   Mings   Taylor

Jedinak/BB

Lansbury      Hourihane

Adomah     Davis       Kodjia

Leeds are the first team who won’t go up automatically after being top at Christmas. Shows how competitive it’s been at the very top and an incredible effort from Sheffield United to keep chasing. We can do any of Leeds/Baggies/Derby etc they're spent.

Edited by MrSmirch
  • Like 1

Sheffield Utd - next match ?   - Ipswich at home - even hogan might score !!!!

If they win that gets them autos - unless leeds score about 14 without reply in there last 2 !!!

Edited by hippo

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

At a minimum we need to rest McGinn, he looked pretty flat our there today by his high standards, I think he needs a rest, I'd also be tempted to give Grealish a bit of a rest as well to ensure he's 100% for the playoffs.

hmmm... they did just play 2 games in the space of a few days. I think them now having a week to recover should be rest enough for McGinn. Wouldn't rest him unless he gets booked tbh.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

We could end autos for Leeds if Brentford keep this going 

TBH, I think it's all over bar the shouting for Leeds, they are condemned to the playoff lottery.

Sheffield are 3 points clear with an 11 goal difference advantage with Ipswich, who have been lamentable all season before they were officially relegated, at home next. I'd put that as a home win banker. They've got Stoke last game but I think that will be an irrelevance by then, they'll already be up by dint of comfortable turning over Ipswich.

Leeds might win their last two -they've got a trip to those points-donors, Ipswich, on the last day themselves, but I think it will still see them suffer the agony of shitting out on goal difference.

My Leeds supporting friend is bricking it now. Doesn’t want to play us at all. I’d back our 11 against theres should we both get to Wembley. 

Absolutely miraculous turnaround from us. We’re the ones to beat in the playoffs now. Unbelievable. 

Thank you Deano!!

No matter the outcome of the playoffs, Smith, his staff and the players deserve a huge amount of credit for putting this run together and earning a playoff place. 

The way it’s going right now I’d think Derby (or whoever finishes 6th) will fancy their chances against Leeds. 

We need to focus on our own game. No doubt if we perform we will win more than we lose. 

On 14/04/2019 at 11:29, Tony said:

I would be tempted to rest jack because I'm  anxious that Bielsa will pull a John Kreese and get one of his boys to put grealish "out of commission" for the playoffs.

But at the same time I think it would be sad to end this amazing run by playing a weakened team. Glad I'm not the manager 

• Like 1

Leeds are for the taking. Players were tired today but mainly because of 2 games in quick succession. 

I suspect Deano will play as strong as side as possible, given they will be on the verge of missing out autos they will be demoralised and the prospect of knocking them down further will make it easier for Derby/Middlesbrough/Bristol City. 

Also if we can knick 4th that would be even better as I am on holiday for the first leg! :bang:

With the form of Norwich as well I would fancy us to beat them as well. 

It’s so frustrating as without some injuries to key players (Grealish/Tuanzebe in particular) I think we would have been challenging the autos this year. Never mind, just keep winning the next game, that’s all we need to do! :D