Glenn Whelan

Jareth

Don't think he was that bad today. Faded a lot in the second half, as did everyone.

Much rather have him than Jedi in the team.

Definitely don't want the 2 of them playing together .

But i fear we will see that as soon as Jedi comes back.

Different view to some on here - I was surprised how rusty he looked. I thought his touch was a little off, and some stray passes led to panic a few times.

I'm hoping it's just an early season thing and he'll get better - no reason why he shouldn't prove to be a leader and calming presence there. I'm also reluctant to be too critical, as I remember fearing the worst with Jedi early last season, who then clearly proved himself once he had settled 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Nah. Can pass better but not the physical presence. 

I'd seen a couple of posts suggesting Whelan was an upgrade on Jedi. I don't think that's the case. 

Different kind of midfielder. Whelan is more mobile and his passing is marginally better, but Jedi remains vastly underrated by a section of fans. Far superior in the air and a better physical screen for the back four. I still say his passing isn't as bad a people say either, touch of an elephant sometimes, but he can hit a ping from time to time. My best XI would still have a fully fit Jedi behind Lansbury and Hourihane, ahead of Whelan.

Whelan will play a lot better than today though, looked a little nervous at times. 

Whelan has never been a 'good' player, his whole thing is being solid and working hard - the kind of guy who'll give you a 7 almost every time. 

Basically,  a decent option to have in the side and a reliable option,  which we need given the number of games. 

I thought he was a bit sloppy yesterday to be honest, but he also did a lot of good things. I'll put it down to rustiness and a debut. I think he'll be a good player for us.

• Like 3

Starting to think he can play alongside Jedinak. Very different players. 4-2-3-1 formation with the two screening. 3 Midfielders across goal with a bit of freedom and a striker. 

7 hours ago, KSV said:

Starting to think he can play alongside Jedinak. Very different players. 4-2-3-1 formation with the two screening. 3 Midfielders across goal with a bit of freedom and a striker. 

Sadly this is the likely outcome once the Jedi is back. We'll be lucky to get 20 % possession.

Â