Glenn Whelan

Jareth

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Played ok but I wouldn't want him and Jedi in the same team although I fear Bruce will go with both in away games .

I think he might put jedi in as a 4th centre back and go 6 at the back as part of his master plan of expansive football with Whelan playing the holding role to protect the back 6

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I think he might put jedi in as a 4th centre back and go 6 at the back as part of his master plan of expansive football with Whelan playing the holding role to protect the back 6

I think that's unlikely.

I said that this was a very uninspiring signing, but I'm glad I was wrong, very wrong. It is just wonderful to finally have a proper midfielder in the middle of the pitch. He seems to make the right desicions all the time, good passer, reliable in defence, covers for others etc. Stay injury free please and keep it up Glenny! 

I actually think Whelan and Jedinak could be a great partnership, they compliment each other quite well.

Jedinak as the enforcer and Whelan as the ball retainer, would bring a nice stable line to our midfield and sure up our centre backs.

would also allow hourhaine to pretty much roam where he pleases.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

I actually think Whelan and Jedinak could be a great partnership, they compliment each other quite well.

Jedinak as the enforcer and Whelan as the ball retainer, would bring a nice stable line to our midfield and sure up our centre backs.

Wouldnt work for me, far too defensive. Also would mean we'd have the slowest central midfield in the history of the game.. with slow centre backs too 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Junxs said:

Wouldnt work for me, far too defensive. Also would mean we'd have the slowest central midfield in the history of the game.. with slow centre backs too 

That's the logic behind my thinking though. It seems that with only one jedinak/whelan, when the play is switched quickly we are opened up in the centre of the park. Positioning wise it would decrease the stain, and bring a solid platform for both the defence and the attack. In my opinion, Jedinak is more of a tackler, and whelan more of a passer...so it could potentially work quite well. Plus, our build-up play under Bruce is slow anyway, so we may aswell play players that suit that system.

On 8/31/2017 at 13:33, carewjust4u said:

That's the most negative line up imaginable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That's the most negative line up imaginable. 

Well no, it isn't though is it...by placing whelan in (who looks to play the forward pass regularly), you allow hourhaine to play more positively. It also allows one of the centre midfielders to drop into the defensive line whilst in possession (jedinak?), which encourages the full-backs to push further forward...whilst  still having a balance in midfield.

There are plenty of teams that play with two defensive minded midfielders that are/have-been successful, Kante + Matic being a notable example.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

Well no, it isn't though is it...by placing whelan in (who looks to play the forward pass regularly), you allow hourhaine to play more positively. It also allows one of the centre midfielders to drop into the defensive line whilst in possession (jedinak?), which encourages the full-backs to push further forward...whilst  still having a balance in midfield.

There are plenty of teams that play with two defensive minded midfielders that are/have-been successful, Kante + Matic being a notable example.

True of course.

Sadly instead of Alonso & Moses on the flanks we have Taylor and Hutton who offers no threat at all going forward. 

Kanté is also pretty much like having 2 players in one. His mobility is amazing as opposed to Jedinak who has no mobility at all and Whelan who is decent at best when it comes to covering ground and is glazier slow.

We also have a very negative cautious manager where Chelsea have Conte who is one of the best managers in the world. This means that it will be 3 or at best 4 players committed to attacking when we have the ball as opposed to Chelsea who had 6-7.

It doesn't have to be negative, but it will be under Bruce.

Edit: The Chelsea of last season is actually a very good example of a good manager making adjustments during the season to correct things not working and by being detailed in tactics having an immediate impact.

Conte swapped to the 3-4-3 after a run of poor results in September and they never looked back. It didn't take him 40+ games for the his players to understand their roles. Yes they have better players, but even pretty mediocre players can follow directions if they are clear enough.

Our manager doesn't do tactics...

Edited by sne
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Absolutely dreadful for Ireland today against Georgia just in case anyone is interested. He's the type of player that gives you a 3/10 performance most of the time and the odd time a 6/10. 

It's very hard to judge the defensive mid when 90% of the time the ball was sailing over his head. Tactics tonight were very strange. 

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

It's very hard to judge the defensive mid when 90% of the time the ball was sailing over his head. Tactics tonight were very strange. 

They would be strange if was not something MON has done before. Except austria away and moldova we have given the opposition way too much respect in this group

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

It's very hard to judge the defensive mid when 90% of the time the ball was sailing over his head.

A defensive midfielder should be at his best when the opposition have the ball. They had 74% possession in the first half and he did bollock. He's supposed to be there to win the ball back. 

30 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I hope he plays even worse for Ireland so that he isn't picked anymore and can concentrate 100% on Villa. He has been brilliant for us so far and that's what matters to me.

Really?

He's been very average. In what way has he been brilliant?

• Like 2

Â