Glenn Whelan

Jareth

3 hours ago, BigAl said:

I never said Bruce was the only one to like this type of player.I agree with you he will be popular with fans .

Sorry for misconstruing your comments then.

• Like 1

A decent player for this level, doesn't score goals but can add a bit of steel to the centre of the park. We really are desperate for some goals from midfield though so hopefully his presence will allow Hourihane and Lansbury to go further forward.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PaulC said:

So that's three signings with a combined age of over 100. Guess the money isn't available this summer so we have to cut our cloth accordingly. 

With all the outgoings there's definitely money available. 

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Through our history it seems like we've often had quite influential and important Irish players. Fingers crossed Glenn can be that player for us this season.

He's made mention of previous Irish players at villa and he has big shoes to fill.

liked that from him! 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 3

Just now, theboyangel said:

He's made mention of previous Irish players at villa and he has big shoes to fill.

liked that from him! 

He has very big shoes to fill there, but I'm sure he'll help us out this year.

• Like 1

Just now, alreadyexists said:

He has very big shoes to fill there, but I'm sure he'll help us out this year.

I do hope so. 

Should be a good signing, definitely an experienced head in midfield, which we need.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Through our history it seems like we've often had quite influential and important Irish players. Fingers crossed Glenn can be that player for us this season.

My old fella who was from Dublin and followed Villa for years after landing here.....always maintained that statement.....perhaps influenced by watching Con Martin & Danny Blanchflower.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

So that's three signings with a combined age of over 100. Guess the money isn't available this summer so we have to cut our cloth accordingly. 

Dude we could sign 5 younger players with a combined age of over 100 and they could be shit.  I think we have done well.

Good signing even he is turns out  just as back up for a year. A million is nothing nowadays and we are getting a player with nearly 10 years of top flight experience and over 80 caps for Ireland. He also has played at least 30 games for 14 years in a row so hopefully gets few injuries. Put it this way he has cost 20% the value of Tishbola. 

What i do like most about this signing is that he was almost a significant part of the narrative  "But could they do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke? ".

Hopefully he brings a new toughness to our side and the pundits will now say  "But could they do it on a cold rainy night at Villa? ".

• Like 1

Â