Glenn Whelan

Jareth

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Wow, there is a lot of judging on here based on a single performance. 

I'm not judging Whelan, more the assertion he was the missing piece and solution to our performance issues. More over that the criticism of the Watford performance was perhaps more justified than some argued at the time.

I think like a lot of our signings he's a solid player and will generally do a decent job for us. We are set up to be difficult to break down and he's a part of that. What Hull showed though is that if you get at us and get us turned a lot of our players look leggy and there will be opportunities there. I'm sure that is something a number of managers will have noted. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KSV said:

Starting to think he can play alongside Jedinak. Very different players. 4-2-3-1 formation with the two screening. 3 Midfielders across goal with a bit of freedom and a striker. 

I didn't think our tactics could get anymore negative, but check you out. Bruce would be proud. 

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'm not judging Whelan, more the assertion he was the missing piece and solution to our performance issues. More over that the criticism of the Watford performance was perhaps more justified than some argued at the time.

Yeah I think he hasnt been good the last two games to be honest. Hopefully he will get better in the next few games

12 hours ago, av1 said:

I didn't think our tactics could get anymore negative, but check you out. Bruce would be proud. 

But those were the tactics we employed on Saturday to good effect (in the first half).

The difference when jedi is back is that we'd have a competent midfielder playing alongside Whelan as opposed to the joke that is Bacuna.

• Like 1

I didn't think he had a particular good game. He wasn't terrible but quite sloppy in possession. For me looked like a version of Jedinak without the real physical presence. Sure he will definitely improve as he settles in. 

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But those were the tactics we employed on Saturday to good effect (in the first half).

The difference when jedi is back is that we'd have a competent midfielder playing alongside Whelan as opposed to the joke that is Bacuna.

spot on

So Jedinak isn't the key to allowing attacking players to flourish. And now Whelan isn't the key. The key is both together, which then results in losing an attacking player. 

And in another thread it's claimed it's all because we need a target man. 

It doesn't sound like Bruce has assembled a very good squad with these ideas put forward. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So Jedinak isn't the key to allowing attacking players to flourish. And now Whelan isn't the key. The key is both together, which then results in losing an attacking player. 

And in another thread it's claimed it's all because we need a target man. 

It doesn't sound like Bruce has assembled a very good squad with these ideas put forward. 

Imho we have the best squad in the league but we have a manager who has one of the worst set of tactics in the league.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Huh?

You said yourself in another thread how far forward Lansbury was able to play on Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Huh?

You said yourself in another thread how far forward Lansbury was able to play on Saturday.

Yes he was, first half especially. But we need more than that, IMO, as evidenced by our lamentable goal scoring record.

Last season the main argument I heard for playing Jedi as a DM was that maybe Bruce lacked faith in Baker, so felt we had to cover him. 

Now there's a suggestion we ADD another DM ?

We need to double our goal tally, how will that come from playing just 2 creative players. We need 3, or even 3 1/2 ( where the half is a box to boxer). In my view.

• Like 1

For me, he was pretty much to blame for the goal (along with hutton's poor clearance)

Whelan was caught out of position... he pressed Hulls defensive line when the ball wasn't ever going to be won and left a massive hole behind him. Bacuna being too thick to cover him allowed Campbell to pretty much carry the ball unopposed all the way to our box...

Like others have been saying, hopefully his performances improve by having someone competent next to him

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skills said:

For me, he was pretty much to blame for the goal (along with hutton's poor clearance)

Whelan was caught out of position... he pressed Hulls defensive line when the ball wasn't ever going to be won and left a massive hole behind him. Bacuna being too thick to cover him allowed Campbell to pretty much carry the ball unopposed all the way to our box...

Like others have been saying, hopefully his performances improve by having someone competent next to him

I watched the game on Saturday and I said to @Rob182 he was a huge reason for us conceding that goal - he got too far forward and didn't have the legs to get back and help out track back their guy who made one of our back line have to come out to cover.

It's early days yet, but I think that was the catalyst for that goal, he was out of position, everyone in the back 4 had to shift over to accommodate and pick up their players, which left their left winger with no one marking him. 

Just now, lapal_fan said:

I watched the game on Saturday and I said to @Rob182 he was a huge reason for us conceding that goal - he got too far forward and didn't have the legs to get back and help out track back their guy who made one of our back line have to come out to cover.

It's early days yet, but I think that was the catalyst for that goal, he was out of position, everyone in the back 4 had to shift over to accommodate and pick up their players, which left their left winger with no one marking him. 

Wasn't the only time either. he got massively caught out that time Terry got exposed for pace vs Frasier Campbell.

I found Whelan to be a mixture of good and bad on Saturday. Some things he did brilliantly. Some passes, dummies and tackles in the middle of the park where great.
He'd then follow it up with sloppy passing or downright carelessness.

Maybe it's some complacency on his part?
As you say it's early days. I have a feeling this will end up being a very good signing, just a slightly shakey start.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wasn't the only time either. he got massively caught out that time Terry got exposed for pace vs Frasier Campbell.

I found Whelan to be a mixture of good and bad on Saturday. Some things he did brilliantly. Some passes, dummies and tackles in the middle of the park where great.
He'd then follow it up with sloppy passing or downright carelessness.

Maybe it's some complacency on his part?
As you say it's early days. I have a feeling this will end up being a very good signing, just a slightly shakey start.

Yeah I agree with that.

From a pure pace point of view, he was definitely slower than their midfield, who, if they got the run on him then he struggled/couldn't get back.  That's why I can see why Bruce went with Bacuna - because he's got much more energy/pace (not that he utilises that very well at times).

As you say, I think there will be gritty games where he becomes really important to what we're trying to do.  I think against Sunderland for example, his experience will pay dividends.  I also thought he looked much better when Lansbury dropped back from CAM to CM when Bacuna went off.  In fact I think the both of them played better, particularly Lansbury who had completely gone into his shell after half time, but at the time I thought it was because Lansbury was pressing such a huge area, he was knackered.  He recovered from that though and had much more of the ball after about 75 mins. 

• Like 1

Â