Glenn Whelan

Jareth

Even without my newly found love for graft, I must say he looked like a really solid midfielder. I loved the way he regularly tracked back and followed his man, all too often in the last years our midfielders have just stood still watching the opponents midfielders run through, but Glenny seemed to have the instinct to directly run with his man. His passing was good as well, often a forward pass that found the player insted of the "ticking over" sideways pass. Looks like a complete, solid midfielder.

With him and Lansbury it was the first time since I don't know when that I've seen us have two proper CM:s. First match together and they clicked directly, both covering for each other defensively and linked up well with the passes. Not the anxious meaningsless tapping to the nearest player, but actually trying to solve the situations and driving the team forward. Very promising! 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Even without my newly found love of graft, I must say he looked like a really solid midfielder. I loved the way he regularly tracked back and followed his man, all too often in the last years our midfielders have just stood still watching the opponents midfielders run through, but Gleeny seemed to have the instinct to directly run with his man. His passing was good as well, often a forward pass that found the player insted of the "ticking over" sideways pass. Looks like a complete, solid midfielder.

With him and Lansbury it was the first time since I don't know when that I've seen us have two proper CM:s. First match together and they clicked directly, both covering for each other defensively and linked up well with the passes. Not the anxious meaningsless tapping to the nearest player, but actually trying to solve the situations and driving the team forward. Very promising! 

Summed up perfectly. Looks a player. 

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Excellent today. Plays further forward than Jedinak and showed plenty for the ball. Good start.

didn't see the game, but Its what i was suspecting.

Edited by TRO

29 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Prefer him to jedinak (but then ive always been fairly critical of jedinak)

both DM's but I think Glenn Whelan  is more mobile......however MJ has had a groin injury so that could have been restricting him for some time.

10 hours ago, TRO said:

both DM's but I think Glenn Whelan  is more mobile......however MJ has had a groin injury so that could have been restricting him for some time.

Whelan is also a better passer of the ball than jedinak - I wouldn't be surprised to see Jedi depart for qpr as Holloway thinks he's the bees knees.

• Like 4

Wow very impressed with Wheelan. He actually passed forward and rarely lost possession. 

To be fair.. against the better teams.. i can see Wheelan and Jedinak working in a 4231. One has the aerial ability.. Jedinak.. wins it.. gives it to Wheelan and he can get the ball to the attacking 3-4. 

Against weaker sides.. i would prefer Hourihane or Lansbury.. although not too impressed with Lansbury this pre season. 

14 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Prefer him to jedinak (but then ive always been fairly critical of jedinak)

Jedinak was absolutely key to us performing well last season.

Much like Whelan, he's unappreciated by many.

However, I do think Whelan is a much better passer than Jedinak, who does the defending well but can't pass for shit.

Ultimately, I imagine the Whelan signing is to help ensure we have a player of that sort in the team at all times (or as close as possible), because when jedinak was injured last seaosn we looked considerably poorer.

• Like 2

Jedinak was one of the root causes of our scoring problems, for me.  Just no ability to play effective passes in the middle of the park and a large contributor to "hoofball" (not himself, but because of this).  However, he was so solid (crew) defensively that we couldn't leave him out of the side.

If Whelan can be the defensive side of Jedinak as well as an actual footballer who can pass, then we're on to a winner.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Jedinak was one of the root causes of our scoring problems, for me.  Just no ability to play effective passes in the middle of the park and a large contributor to "hoofball" (not himself, but because of this).  However, he was so solid (crew) defensively that we couldn't leave him out of the side.

I kind of agree.

But I also think we should be able to set up to take that burden off him.

Jedinak should be winning the ball, giving it to Lansbury or Hourihane and letting them be the creative ones.

But yes, Whelan should help that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Even without my newly found love for graft, I must say he looked like a really solid midfielder. I loved the way he regularly tracked back and followed his man, all too often in the last years our midfielders have just stood still watching the opponents midfielders run through, but Glenny seemed to have the instinct to directly run with his man. His passing was good as well, often a forward pass that found the player insted of the "ticking over" sideways pass. Looks like a complete, solid midfielder.

Nope

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Wow very impressed with Wheelan. He actually passed forward and rarely lost possession. 

To be fair.. against the better teams.. i can see Wheelan and Jedinak working in a 4231. One has the aerial ability.. Jedinak.. wins it.. gives it to Wheelan and he can get the ball to the attacking 3-4. 

Against weaker sides.. i would prefer Hourihane or Lansbury.. although not too impressed with Lansbury this pre season. 

Nope

:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If Whelan can be the defensive side of Jedinak as well as an actual footballer who can pass, then we're on to a winner.

Jedinak averaged 47 passes per game and 3 long balls per game last season. It wasn't his job to create scoring opportunities and I don't think he held us back whatsoever in that respect.

To move back to Whelan though (since I don't want to upset certain people by going sort of off topic), I think he'll offer something very similar to Jedinak, only less aerially/physically dominant but a slightly better passer. 

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

I don't think there's any team in this division that warrants the need to play both Jedi and whelan in front of the back 4 - let them worry about us , last season we gave too much respect to opposition - play on the front foot and take the game to them .

cup games ;)

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Magnificent signing, he's everything Ashley Westwood purported to be, but isn't. 

Has anyone called him the Irish Xavi yet? If not I'm staking a claim as the originator. 

Sorry fella some chap named 'Aido' has already claimed it

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/the-irish-xavi-aston-villa-13361110

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I worry that both our defensive mids will be in their mid 30s this season. 

What's your worry?

Mile Jedinak is 32 and Whelan 33. As a 33 year old man I take umbrage with you labeling that as 'mid 30's' :D

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Â