Glenn Whelan

Jareth

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

He was excellent and will look even better against some of the crap in the Championship. Another astute move by Bruce.

Agreed. If this is his standard on the pitch, he should absolutely boss the Championship. 

• Like 1

Played really well, calm, he battled, ran, played some lovely balls and bossed it. He's what we've been missing in the middle for a long while. Even better than Jedi (although different players I know)... but it was just one game and it wasn't even competitive. I think he'll do very well for us this year though.

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:43, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What's your worry?

Mile Jedinak is 32 and Whelan 33. As a 33 year old man I take umbrage with you labeling that as 'mid 30's' :D

yes mid 30s is 34/36

• Like 1

On 29/07/2017 at 19:06, PaulC said:

yes mid 30s is 34/36

Which is a big difference in football. Glenn Whelan hasn't shown any signs that his legs are going, even unlike Jedinak who has been fantastic for us regardless. 

Two very good options there, doing very different jobs. I suspect we will see more of Jedinak in the latter stages of games and in central defence because as much as I love Mile and still recognise what he gives us, Whelan is a much better footballer. 

On 29.7.2017 at 17:11, TRO said:

Eamonn Dunphy disagree's with just about everything.

If he agreed with me.....i would be questioning myself.

He provides good entertainment. There is never really any substance or reasoning to his opinion. He's been known to call Cristiano Ronaldo a spoofer, Arjen Robben a birdbrain and last season after one of the Champion's League games declared that Lionel Messi is finished. My personal favourite though was shen he reffered to Sergio Ramos as Paul McShane on steroids....

Back on Whelan though, he's played for Ireland for nearly ten years now an dwas meant to be replaced by the next generation many times just like was meant to happen at Stoke. If we had bought him around Lambert's tenure we would have been much better off as he was exactly what we were missing. He's not the most technically gifted but he will provide a lot of traits that have been missing from our midfield for years now apart from maybe last year with Jedinak. Leadership, ability to read the game, steel and bite and of course the all important pointing (see link below). I think that he'll become very important to us.

https://www.balls.ie/football/tribute-glenn-whelans-total-mastery-craft-midfield-pointing-336280

Like every successful team in a match of 5-a-sive, a good team needs a good pointer.

Someone who will stand in the middle and tell everyone where every pass should be played next, at the local 5-a-side it can get quite annoying when one lad essentially tries to become player-manager, but at the professional level it is an underrated leadership trait that keeps teams ticking over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

He provides good entertainment. There is never really any substance or reasoning to his opinion. He's been known to call Cristiano Ronaldo a spoofer, Arjen Robben a birdbrain and last season after one of the Champion's League games declared that Lionel Messi is finished. My personal favourite though was shen he reffered to Sergio Ramos as Paul McShane on steroids....

Back on Whelan though, he's played for Ireland for nearly ten years now an dwas meant to be replaced by the next generation many times just like was meant to happen at Stoke. If we had bought him around Lambert's tenure we would have been much better off as he was exactly what we were missing. He's not the most technically gifted but he will provide a lot of traits that have been missing from our midfield for years now apart from maybe last year with Jedinak. Leadership, ability to read the game, steel and bite and of course the all important pointing (see link below). I think that he'll become very important to us.

https://www.balls.ie/football/tribute-glenn-whelans-total-mastery-craft-midfield-pointing-336280

Like every successful team in a match of 5-a-sive, a good team needs a good pointer.

Someone who will stand in the middle and tell everyone where every pass should be played next, at the local 5-a-side it can get quite annoying when one lad essentially tries to become player-manager, but at the professional level it is an underrated leadership trait that keeps teams ticking over.

My wife could do that. She'd be brilliant. Does it all the time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

There was a bit in the Watford friendly where he went up to a player from the other team and actually took the ball from him. I was amazed.

Won't take long for us to beat that out of him

Thought he was decent, everything went through him in the first half but he tired massively in the 2nd.

He's a non-flash central midfielder. He'll inevitably get pelters on here for it.

• Like 1

Â