Glenn Whelan

Jareth

Forget the mistake the biggest problem is he's simply not suited to a game where we have 70% possession 

Moved the ball too slow and usually safe sideways stuff, also dropped too deep at times, our CBs are fine on the ball we don't need someone there, substitution took too long to make 

Conversely on tuesday night when baggies have to play a bit more and with no out and out striker so you'd guess another attacking midfielder in the mix it plays more to his strengths, not sure if he'll start but think he could have a big game if he does 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Shit happens. 

Just like Derby last year eh? Sorry but I don't want him to start another game for us. The games are too massive now we cant risk any more stupid clangers from him. He wasn't even trying to run back he just gave up and left it for Mings and axel to try deal with. 

Better as a impact sub

31 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Pitchforks out for Whelo again it seems 

He got great support inside the ground.  Lots singing his name after the error. 

• Like 1

He has been immense recently and is a huge part of why we are in the play offs. Anyone can make a mistake - when you play in a vulnerable position (ie one that can directly cost a goal), and your body doesn’t move quite as smoothly as it did 10 years ago, it just looks a whole lot worse. Today just wasn’t the game for him - West Brom packed the middle of the park with bodies, meaning it was very hard to pass between the lines (he wasn’t the only one having this issue - Grealish and McGinn struggled similarly). He has plenty of credit in the bank, and should be starting Tuesday in my opinion given West Brom will be coming on to us.

Mings and Tuanzebe made more mistakes during the game. Sadly Whelan got punished for his. Other then that he had a decent game, did plenty of cleaning up in front of the back four.  As much that was possible versus a parked bus. 

Happy to see him start again next match. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Deservedly so. Made a monumental mistake for their goal and passed the ball left, right and backwards over 5-10 yards for the rest of his game. 

• Like 1

Unless fatigued, he should be starting Tuesday.

Calm heads, bit of fight and a bit of the ugly, west prob will be chucking the ball in all night so he needs to be picking up the 2nd ball

I did shout at the TV when he tried to over stretch and basically played Gayle through and his head went a bit after that as he lost any confidence to carry the ball and just stood there several times hoping to pass it rather than carry it.

Hes got a new lease of life with a solid back 4 and starts for me

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

So where's your point? I said Whelan is ok against the pub sides and you just referred to some of them.

Whelan struggles when he comes up against pace and it was evident today.

Pub sides, I imagine you are like Ronaldo if played these pub players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newry_Villan said:

No pitchfork here, it was a terrible mistake, but these things happen.

The only question was/is if he was suited to this type of game.

Not his fault as we pretty much already know what kind of player he is.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pub sides, I imagine you are like Ronaldo if played these pub players

Don't take everything literally. It's just a phrase to describe let's just say lesser teams.

This was not a game suited for Whelan and it was a mistake by Smith to pick him against a side that intended to sit back the whole game.

Â