Glenn Whelan

Jareth

It's not just that mistake though, his style just doesnt suit when we are dominating. I mean had that chance in the first few minutes fallen to anyone else they would have buried it (except Taylor) it was 6 yards out and he just had to nod it in, but it seems he wasnt a) alive to it or ii) just not capable of heading straight.

He has history for these types of mistakes as well though, it would be nice to wipe it out as a mistake like many of you are saying above - but then ask yourself is that fair on Connor who basically rescued us today from that mistake and showed much more capability during his time on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It's not just that mistake though, his style just doesnt suit when we are dominating.

It doesn't really suit when we are under pressure either because he cant get around the pitch and isnt physical enough. 

He's not terrible and he's not good, he's just an average player. A pretty consistent 6/10 performer but not worth the high wages we coughed up for him. 

Whelan plays really well for weeks and weeks, at times our best player, makes one mistake and some people are back to the old AV tricks of "zomg terrible zomg end of the world zomg neva play 4 us again ya".

Granted Hourihane coming on was the right move today and he changed the game, but Whelan is a good player who is capable of moving the ball around while doing good defensive work, yeah he isnt a Hourihane for goals/assists, but Hourihane isnt a Whelan for the defensive work.

Whelan, like Hourihane do their respective jobs well, one mistake doesnt make Whelan bad, he just made a mistake, deal with it and move on.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

No pitchfork here, it was a terrible mistake, but these things happen.

The only question was/is if he was suited to this type of game.

Not his fault as we pretty much already know what kind of player he is.

Absolutely this - he is limited for sure, however in fairness he has helped us get to the play offs - but not for one second do I expect us to go looking to defend at Sandwell - and for this reason I think we should play Conor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

He has been an outstanding performer in our recent run, one mistake today doesnt change that. To easy to point the finger at unfashionable glen, yes it was a mistake, but hes been absolutely excellent of late

He's been alright against poor teams.

He's out of his depth against semi decent opposition. Throw a half decent player with some pace like Gayle against him and he will be exposed. It was actually sad looking at him today, it's not his fault, it's Smiths fault or picking him, Whelan is just way too slow.

If he struggles like that against Gayle, what do you think Premier League players would do to him?

Alongwith Hutton, Whelan is one of the first players i would be looking to get rid of.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He's out of his depth against semi decent opposition. Throw a half decent player with some pace like Gayle against him and he will be exposed. It was actually sad looking at him today, it's not his fault, it's Smiths fault or picking him, Whelan is just way too slow.

If he struggles like that against Gayle, what do you think Premier League players would do to him?

Alongwith Hutton, Whelan is one of the first players i would be looking to get rid of.

Gayle had one shot. Hardly terrorised us like you've made out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Apart from that mistake he was as good as anyone on the pitch today. You could argue the whole team struggled today against a decent opposition. 

He made a mistake, it was costly, and he knows it.

If anyone is going to be harsh on Glenn Whelan, it is going to be Glenn Whelan. He has been an absolute professional here, and I am confident he wont make that mistake again.

The only reasons for him to be benched on Tuesday would be fatigue, or if it is in Dean Smith's planning. I am all for starting Conor against Leeds though, because he will wind them up.

Whelan is a good player and has done plenty for this club. He needs and deserves our support.

• Like 1

Not starting him next game could be a mistake. They're not going to sit back this time. Whelan reading of the game is going to be very valuable. He's way better at defending space being left open by our other players then Hourihane. 

• Like 1

I think Smith thought that West Brom would actually try and attack us, which would have made Whelan a better option than Hourihane in that case. I'd probably start him next game for the same reason.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Skruff said:

Not starting him next game could be a mistake. They're not going to sit back this time. Whelan reading of the game is going to be very valuable. He's way better at defending space being left open by our other players then Hourihane. 

I agree, id start whelan at the hawthorns, we will be under the pressure from the off, i think the game will suit whelan imo

14 hours ago, Skruff said:

you could be right.

I could be tempted to go 3-5-2

With Axel-Mings- Hause and Tammy and kodj up front

you could then play Elmo -Whelan-Hourihane -McGinn - Grealish in the middle.

Â