Glenn Whelan

Jareth

11 hours ago, sne said:

Honestly don't agree with this.

This team is not suited to be on the back foot and in the PL we would be. 

Whelan would be constantly exposed and put under pressure and our full backs would be slaughtered 

Even with the core we have and keeping the loan players we would need at least a LB, CM and wide player to have a shot to go with our new RB.

And even then it will be a struggle.

I agree about the full backs.....Glen's time is up for the premier league, but down here he is doing ok.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Better dmf's with more pace and energy.

Players such like Ndidi, Gueye. Not saying De Bruyne couldn't go past them but he would have a much harder time against them vs the likes of Whelan.

Who are also very intelligent players able to read the game and recycle the ball efficiently. Though I would say Whelo is better on the ball than both of them. He's not exactly weak or lacking in energy either? Not based on what we have seen.

I'm with this train of thought that says he isn't doing much different to what he has done over the two seasons, he is being appreciated more because we are doing well. He did fall over a few times and make a couple of glaring errors, for which he was scapegoated, but for whatever reason he appears to have cut that out. Having out balls around him helps, and a defence ready to cover for him.

Confidence in your team mates is a real thing, and he shines in a good side who play a bit of football plus he reads the game better than any Villa midfielder I have seen for nigh on a decade. Since Barry left probably. Obviously it's only right to question whether he could do that in the Premier League, I'm not saying it is nailed on that he could and I would certainly want a player in to challenge him and learn from him. Hopefully better him. But I ain't ready to write him off. 

If we are in the Championship and we DON'T sign him on for another year, somebody wants shooting. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree about the full backs.....Glen's time is up for the premier league, but down here he is doing ok.

Agree on the full backs FWIW. I like Elmo, but he isn't really a full back. Taylor has found his level. 

My biggest concern with letting Whelan go is that we don't have a natural replacement coming through, and this is always a tricky position to fill.

If we stay in Championship, I'd keep Whelan for another season if he fancies it, and sign a younger prospect to compete for that place.

If we go up, this is the signing we really need to get right IMO. Fulham showed how great attacking talent can get you promoted, but they'll be exposed in the PL if you don't invest in a good, streetwise defensive mid. Wolves signed Joao Moutinho and did really well out of that.

• Like 2

I'm not going to go to tough on him, mistakes happen and that could of been costly to us after the way Albion just sat back.

Thing his he needs to pick himself up and forget that bit of crap that happened, he can do better than that.

I wouldn't say don't play him again in the play offs but maybe bring him on as a sub and have hourihane start as he offers more than Whelan. 

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, daggy_333 said:

Whelan has been superb for the last 2 months, makes 1 mistake and now should never play. If anyone was going to say something so stupid it was always going to be you, thank you for not disappointing 😂

I just think Hourihane is a much better player man. Team looked transformed when we made the change.

I accept that Whelan can do a job against the pub teams of Championship, but don't play him against half decent sides with pace in their team.

Edited by villalad21

He made a costly mistake, but it is not something he does too often.

He passes the ball like he is drunk sometimes, but he usually has good control of the ball at his feet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I just think Hourihane is a much better player man. Team looked transformed when we made the change.

I accept that Whelan can do a job against the pub teams of Championship, but don't play him against half decent sides with pace in their team.

Whelan started against Derby, Middlesborough, Birmingham, Blackburn, Sheff Weds, Bristol City, Bolton, Millwall. We beat all of those teams and there are a mixture of shit teams and teams who try to play. He deserved a chance today and yeah maybe he made a mess for there goal but he was definitely worthy of a start today. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I think that header he missed was just as criminal than his hospital pass. 6 yards out and puts it over, because it was early in the game people have forgotten about it.

Hourihane should have started the home leg and Whelan away, it was common sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daggy_333 said:

an you point out where i said i think they're good?

So where's your point? I said Whelan is ok against the pub sides and you just referred to some of them.

Whelan struggles when he comes up against pace and it was evident today.

47 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Whelan has been superb for the last 2 months, makes 1 mistake and now should never play. If anyone was going to say something so stupid it was always going to be you, thank you for not disappointing 😂

The Bomb drops

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

Â