Glenn Whelan

Jareth

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I could be tempted to go 3-5-2

With Axel-Mings- Hause and Tammy and kodj up front

you could then play Elmo -Whelan-Hourihane -McGinn - Grealish in the middle.

Interesting, who'd be left wing? Mcginn? 

Back him. Show him how much we trust him and start him. Keep Connor biting at the leash and keep Glen as a key part of the team that has made it this far. He is so often in the right place at the right time to sweep up the second and third balls. He does the basics well and his organisation of others should not be underestimated. As some have said, he'll not be here if we go up, he is limited and slow, but people also sometime overlook what he does do. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tommytenjobs said:

Back him. Show him how much we trust him and start him. Keep Connor biting at the leash and keep Glen as a key part of the team that has made it this far. He is so often in the right place at the right time to sweep up the second and third balls. He does the basics well and his organisation of others should not be underestimated. As some have said, he'll not be here if we go up, he is limited and slow, but people also sometime overlook what he does do. 

Agreed with everything except "limited and slow" I think he's quite capable as a DM and not so slow as people say. Personally I think it's lazy opinions by people who don't really understand the role he plays. although I do think that under pressure he does tend to rush passes which can leave us exposed.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

No it's not, in certain games he was easily in the top 3 players.

In your opinion. You're entitled to your opinion and so am I.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Poor mistake but had a decent season, definitely won't hold it against him.

Always thought the away fixture was the game more suitable for him to play in but 2 games in 4 days isn't ideal, be interesting what Smith does. 

I'd actually consider Jedinak in there for the extra aerial presence he has, but I'd be nervous every time he had the ball at his feet, so yeah, scrap that ! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Poor mistake but had a decent season, definitely won't hold it against him.

Always thought the away fixture was the game more suitable for him to play in but 2 games in 4 days isn't ideal, be interesting what Smith does. 

I'd actually consider Jedinak in there for the extra aerial presence he has, but I'd be nervous every time he had the ball at his feet, so yeah, scrap that ! 

That’s actually not a bad shout at all.

Although I’d still personally stick to one of Hourihane/whelan.

as previously eluded to by others, strangely enough as good as Hourihane was when he came on, this 2nd leg is more suited to a more defensive player.

• Like 1

With time to reflect it was slightly awkward pass from Grealish and shouldn't have been made really. Other than some excellent stats from Whelan. 71 passes 90% complete. 7 accurate long balls(next best 3)

13 hours ago, kiltorken said:

Interesting, who'd be left wing? Mcginn? 

would play one winger, Elmo and whoever else chose to go wide, maybe Jack.

I dont think we will sit back against them after Gayle being ruled out.  Think it will be a similar style to the last 30mins on Saturday and simlar to the way we played against Middlesboro at the riverside.  Based on that i dont think Whelan will be playing and Hourihane will get the nod.

The system will not be changed, unlike Steve Bruce who would just randomly flop at a three at the back because he had no real idea or thought of how he wants us to play...Dean Smith knows.

That is the beauty of it. The system remains, if you don't fit into it you don't play. Simple.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

With time to reflect it was slightly awkward pass from Grealish and shouldn't have been made really. Other than some excellent stats from Whelan. 71 passes 90% complete. 7 accurate long balls(next best 3)

I agree with this. Whelan was caught flat footed. Felt rather sorry for h m at the time.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I agree with that to be honest lads. Grealish and others play that pass to him all the time. Instead of trying to play it first time to Tuanzebe he should've cut in towards his left and moved it on as usual.

But, oh well it's happened. Glad it didn't affect him too much - for the next couple of minutes he avoided getting the ball (understandably so) but came back into it. 

Whelan didn't even bother tracking back after his fuckj up. I've just seen it again on central news. just stood there!

He should have sprinted back and got in a tactical foul. picked up a yellow at least. bust a gut!

disgrace!

who does he think he is? paul pogba?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No, probably just a 35 year old midfielder that just gave one of the sharpest strikers in the league a 10 yard headstart.

And clearly being off balance after some weird move. I don't know what happened, but he somehow almost stumbled backwards when he was about to pass the ball. That's why it was such a weak pass and why he didn't even bother to follow Gayle. And of course, it would've been quite pointless even if he had a 10 yards headstart. I like Whelan, but quick he is not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pelle said:

And clearly being off balance after some weird move. I don't know what happened, but he somehow almost stumbled backwards when he was about to pass the ball. That's why it was such a weak pass and why he didn't even bother to follow Gayle. And of course, it would've been quite pointless even if he had a 10 yards headstart. I like Whelan, but quick he is not.

I think he planned on taking a touch, saw Gayle incoming and thought he needed to pass it off first time. Body shape was horrific and off balance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah it was just a mistake. It happens and 9 times out of 10 there would be cover. It was a cracking finish by Gayle to be fair. 

Whelan is prone to this mistake though.

and Jack was not entirely blameless either, he should not have had the INTENTION to pass it back, he should have turned Johanssen, and seized the initiative.

We do a little bit too much of this in games at times.... i have noticed that Norwich and Sheff Utd do far more intensity than us , hence their position....Leeds do too.

We start seasons slow and we start games slow.....we need a rocket up our ***** from the off.

That error was **** poor.

We allow ourselves to be closed down far too easily....sorry for the rant.

Edited by TRO

Â