Glenn Whelan

Jareth

Gotta be honest, I think all this talk of "he would be too old for the premier league" is a load of bollocks. I think the people who say it for the most part don't watch the premier league. It is, for the most part, slow and crap. This Villa team, go up or not, would be in with a shout of top half.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Gotta be honest, I think all this talk of "he would be too old for the premier league" is a load of bollocks. I think the people who say it for the most part don't watch the premier league. It is, for the most part, slow and crap. This Villa team, go up or not, would be in with a shout of top half.

Honestly don't agree with this.

This team is not suited to be on the back foot and in the PL we would be. 

Whelan would be constantly exposed and put under pressure and our full backs would be slaughtered 

Even with the core we have and keeping the loan players we would need at least a LB, CM and wide player to have a shot to go with our new RB.

And even then it will be a struggle.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Honestly don't agree with this.

This team is not suited to be on the back foot and in the PL we would be. 

Whelan would be constantly exposed and put under pressure and our full backs would be slaughtered 

Even with the core we have and keeping the loan players we would need at least a LB, CM and wide player to have a shot to go with our new RB.

And even then it will be a struggle.

Against who? Crystal Palace? Burnley? Brighton?

Ashley Westwood is Burnley's player of the season. Mans are overrating the Premier League big time. I'm not saying it's not of a better standard, I appreciate how the league pyramid works, but what I am saying is that if he can handle himself against the best Championship clubs then he can handle himself against the bottom half of the Premier League. 

I'm also not saying don't add to the squad, but to be aware that the grass isn't always greener. 

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Against who? Crystal Palace? Burnley? Brighton?

Ashley Westwood is Burnley's player of the season. Mans are overrating the Premier League big time. I'm not saying it's not of a better standard, I appreciate how the league pyramid works, but what I am saying is that if he can handle himself against the best Championship clubs then he can handle himself against the bottom half of the Premier League. 

I'm also not saying don't add to the squad, but to be aware that the grass isn't always greener. 

Takes a bit more than that to be top half but yeah we will face some clubs who are more confident sitting back.

This Fulham team got slaughtered because they could not adapt to being on the back foot. Any team that tries to play football rather than just survive will have a hard time if the can't adapt.

Edit: But as you say with a couple of good additions we should be able to compete for the mid table places.

But I really thing Whelan's position is a top priority to improve.

Edited by sne

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Takes a bit more than that to be top half but yeah we will face some clubs who are more confident sitting back.

This Fulham team got slaughtered because they could not adapt to being on the back foot. Any team that tries to play football rather than just survive will have a hard time if the can't adapt.

Fulham also had no faith in the players who got them there, spent a load of money on new toys and got the shit kicked out of them. It's a balancing act. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fulham also had no faith in the players who got them there, spent a load of money on new toys and got the shit kicked out of them. It's a balancing act. 

We'll have to make at least as many big signings as they did should we get promoted.

2 expensive midfielders a CB in Mawson who's been injured a lot and Mitrovic on a permanent are their major signings. Joe Bryant at LB, a position we'll also need to address.

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Players like De Bruyne would rip him apart.

Whelan doesn't got the pace a dm in Premier League need

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Who doesn't De Bruyne rip apart? 

Is there any statistical evidence the average Premier League midfielder is any quicker than your Championship one? Because watching the games doesn't seem to bear that out. 

• Like 1

Sorry, but if we go up or not, then players the wrong side of 30 must become a thing of the past.

Similarly, it seems that the thinking within the club now, is if you are in the academy or U23's and you ain't knocking on the 1st team door by a certain age, then you won't be getting your contract renewed/lengthened.

And about time too in my humble opinion.

Let’s face it, as good as Whelan has been recently, IF we go up, he will not keeps his place in the PL, IF we want to be anymore than a makeweight. There are so many IFs at the moment about players who are PL standard like whether we can sign Mings,  Tuanzabe, Abrahams etc and as much as I like Whelan I think replacing him is the least of our worries.

• Like 1

Amazing how quickly people forget when a player hits a brief patch of form. Whelan should be shipped out of the club this summer without any doubts at all. Goodbye, Good riddance. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Who doesn't De Bruyne rip apart? 

Better dmf's with more pace and energy.

Players such like Ndidi, Gueye. Not saying De Bruyne couldn't go past them but he would have a much harder time against them vs the likes of Whelan.

Edited by villalad21

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ashley Westwood is Burnley's player of the season.

In a world where this is possible, then perhaps Whelan can play in the Prem for the next fifty years, let alone next year.

I believe it's almost impossible to compare Whelan and Westwood as DCMs; Whelan is brave, driven, doesn't go hiding and is positionally astute, whereas Westwood was a gutless coward, shirked a tackle and never took any responsibility. I can't believe he's done so well this year (or that the rest of Burnley been so poor), he just didn't display any positive attributes - he's by far and away the worst footballer I've ever seen play above 5 games - so perhaps it was the pressure of being at a 'big club' and he doesn't get it at Burnley(?) but I've never seen a more mentally weak footballer.

Glenn Whelan is a great example of how to play DCM, Westwood (for us) was a perfect example of how not to.

Edited by commander
grammar

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean he’s basically been pretty good the entire time he’s been here apart from a bad patch here and there. 

I actually agree that he should probably be moved on in the summer, especially if we go up. 

But the insinuation that his good form is only brief and he’s been crap the rest of the time isnt accurate imo

I’d argue he has been good about 50% of the time he has been here. First half of last season and second part of this.  I would like to see him start in the playoffs. It suits him to  have runners like Grealish and Mcginn next to him so he doesn’t get exposed. 

But I guess it’s all about opinions. 

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d argue he has been good about 50% of the time he has been here. First half of last season and second part of this.  I would like to see him start in the playoffs. It suits him to  have runners like Grealish and Mcginn next to him so he doesn’t get exposed. 

But I guess it’s all about opinions. 

I’d be more generous than you’re being but I guess we would expect that :)

but I think most of us would agree that he’s been better than a “brief patch of form” which is what the OP suggested. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think pace is the primary pre-requisite of a DM.....Its the ability to read the game and stop the opposition.

I would say in terms of "game management" he is the best player we have on the books....its horses for courses.

Edited by TRO

Â