Glenn Whelan

Jareth

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I thought he was a has been.  He’s very much a still is.  

I think we all did....

...Isn't it lovely to be pleasantly wrong?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

It won't be on the same terms, but I'm pretty sure we'll offer him a new deal. Smith has mentioned enough times now what a good trainer he is.

When you're going to bringing in the number of new faces we are this summer you need some there to set the standard in training and the dressing room.

It'll depend on what he gets from elsewhere as to whether he stays or not. Or he retires I suppose.

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Half his wage, for a 1 year deal and get him doing his coaching badges.

Bring in a dm to start leaving gw as backup.

Job done.

So £17k-£20k a week for a lad who is realistically going to play 2 or 3 games next season? That's a no from me.
Love you Glenn, but not for me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It won't be on the same terms, but I'm pretty sure we'll offer him a new deal. Smith has mentioned enough times now what a good trainer he is.

When you're going to bringing in the number of new faces we are this summer you need some there to set the standard in training and the dressing room.

It'll depend on what he gets from elsewhere as to whether he stays or not. Or he retires I suppose.

Reading some FB group today about some fans going to the ground for photos and they missed Smith, Terry and Whelan as they were 1st ones in the door

I imagine there is a chance Terry will move on, either back to Chelsea as a coach or maybe even a manager somewhere. If that does happen I would appointment Whelan in his position, maybe as a player coach.

Not saying Terry will def go, if we get promoted you'd hope he'd want to stick around but i am sure he has ambitions to manage.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 15:25, rodders0223 said:

So £17k-£20k a week for a lad who is realistically going to play 2 or 3 games next season? That's a no from me.

If we’re still in the championship it might be worth a 1 year deal. 

If we go up I don’t think it’s worth it. 

• Like 4

On 18/04/2019 at 15:25, rodders0223 said:

Tbf you're right.  10k though, and i think i'd be happy as he has a very positive impact on the squad

Look at Whelan's previous managers....the vast majority of them have been the archaic dinosaur anti-football (Pulis, Hughes, Bruce) it probably took him time to adapt and find where he fits in the team's style.  It seems he has adapted well.  Also, if he is an excellent trainer and first in, what an example to have to set to the younger lads!

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Can't believe how much space Millwall gave him. Four or five times he had about forty yards of space. 

Agreed, but you give Whelan a bit of credit for that aswell. His positioning and movement is excellent for the role he’s playing.

You could almost hear the joints creaking in his legs when he "jogged" onto the pitch :D

Looked like he wasn't warmed up at all. 

Was fine thou once the game got going again.

• 2 weeks later...
Â