Glenn Whelan

Jareth

17 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

He was 'ok' under SB but always had a major **** up in him.  Some suicidal backpasses stand out in my mind.

I think this is what i was talking about.

I'd be genuinely interested if you could be specific about these suicidal backpasses that stand out.

• Like 1

His ball distribution was absolutely awful at times under Bruce, and it cost us points. I always thought he didn't do a good enough job of protecting the back four under Bruce which was always my man criticism. 

Under Smith we have players coming closer to him to receive the ball and some actual movement in front of him, i'm sure that's had an influence in him looking better. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

His ball distribution was absolutely awful at times under Bruce, and it cost us points. I always thought he didn't do a good enough job of protecting the back four under Bruce which was always my man criticism. 

Under Smith we have players coming closer to him to receive the ball and some actual movement in front of him, i'm sure that's had an influence in him looking better. 

Jup.

He did all the things a player in his position is supposed to do, but only to about 90%.

He almost, but not quite tracked his runner, almost pressed close enough and he always knew exactly what he was supposed to do. But his legs would not let him.

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

He was 'ok' under SB but always had a major **** up in him.  Some suicidal backpasses stand out in my mind.

I'd say he is now playing 'good', but as others have mentioned, i think this is a result of the settled defence.  He has less to do and more confidence in those behind him.  I do agree though that he looks much fitter!

I am absolutely convinced of that.....Personally, I would agree on the word "settled", but i would add "assertive" too, as our 2 centre backs are winning aerial ball in particular and firing it straight back in to midfield, (just like Laursen, Mellberg and Ugo used to do) where the attacks are reignited.

for that reason, I believe 2 powerful centre backs can be so instrumental on the offensive side of the game, despite that seeming paradoxical.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd be genuinely interested if you could be specific about these suicidal backpasses that stand out.

Ok, some examples of poor moments:

Own goal against Reading 

Error leading to first goal against derby dec 2017

Backpasses in games with Hull, Derby and Sheff W in 17/18 resulting in scoring chances

Missed tackles leading to chances against west brom feb 2019

I'm sure i could find more if i re watched some games

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

Ok, some examples of poor moments:

Own goal against Reading 

Error leading to first goal against derby dec 2017

Backpasses in games with Hull, Derby and Sheff W in 17/18 resulting in scoring chances

Missed tackles leading to chances against west brom feb 2019

I'm sure i could find more if i re watched some games

Howler against Wigan for their third. 

• Thanks 1

As someone who wasn't a fan of his scapegoating this season and thought he's been pretty solid overall, there's still a marked difference in Whelan's performances now and earlier in the season. It's almost night and day. There are probably a few factors that contribute to that and one of them is definitely the new tactics and coaching.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Thanks for the backup 🤣

Whilst I think he has been great lately I do think he has been poor in enough games at his time here to warrant criticism in the past. He has never deserved to be a scapegoat though. 

@Stevo985 on the other hand thinks he's the best defensive midfielder we’ve had since Andy Townsend!  :)

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst I think he has been great lately I do think he has been poor in enough games at his time here to warrant criticism in the past. He has never deserved to be a scapegoat though. 

@Stevo985 on the other hand thinks he's the best defensive midfielder we’ve had since Andy Townsend!  :)

No I don’t. 

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s hard to remember really specific incidents  (particularly if they didn’t lead to a goal) but I remember some utterly horrific backpasses from Whelan. There will be posts about them in this thread somewhere. 

He’s improved a lot, but I think a lot of that is because he has a mobile central midfield ahead of him. 

I’ve never disliked Whelan, obviously has a good football brain and is a work horse. He certainly looks improved atm, and I think it certainly helps that he has a strong defence behind him and jack and McGinn adding energy alongside him.

If we are still in the championship next season, then I could understand a 1 yr extension (maybe so he can get his coaches badges, as I’ve heard he’s a big influence on the young lads and getting everyone to work harder throughout training). However, if we get promoted, then it would be time to say goodbye. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No I don’t. 

But you've got to love his way of thinking "huhuhuhuhuh, Stevo thinks Whelan wasn't shit...pfft.....

(time passes)

I bet he thinks Whelan is better than Makelele!!!!! I know, I'll go and put those words into his mouth on a Villa forum - THAT'LL SHOW HIM, THE DAFT BASTARD" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Regardless of how well he's played of late, he's 35 and has no pace, so please NO TALK OF A CONTRACT EXTENSION!!!!! We have got rid of some shite, overpaid and in some cases overage players since we were relegated. Admittedly, we have signed players who were supposedly the best in their position from other championship teams, with no thought to their age/longevity. Fek me we'll be offering that C*** Richards another contract at this rate. 

Needs to be released at the end of the season, along with Bunn, Jedinak, Hutton, De Laet and Elphick.

Villa, regardless of division next season, need to buy at least 2 cb's and a left back, so we have defensive cover and try to shift the likes of McCormack, Hogan, Gardner and Tshibola for starters. We will then need to look at trying to find another McGinn, a younger DM ( nobody over 28) and cover for Adomah and Kodjia, and a replacement for Tammy.

:crylaugh:😍

Bilden kan innehålla: 1 person, som ler

U gotta love a guy who just is what he is and looks like a 60 year old fan-competition winner who goes out and goes to work every day as best he can and doesn't care about his Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat followers.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

But you've got to love his way of thinking "huhuhuhuhuh, Stevo thinks Whelan wasn't shit...pfft.....

(time passes)

I bet he thinks Whelan is better than Makelele!!!!! I know, I'll go and put those words into his mouth on a Villa forum - THAT'LL SHOW HIM, THE DAFT BASTARD" 

Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking.  🤔 

I relish the day Whelan has a nightmare so i can stick it to @Stevo985. Maybe the playoff final would be a great time for it to happen. I’d have a great time with that.  

Anyway my other post was clearly a joke. 

Whelan is obviously much better than Andy Townsend ever was.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking.  🤔 

I relish the day Whelan has a nightmare so i can stick it to @Stevo985. Maybe the playoff final would be a great time for it to happen. I’d have a great time with that.  

I don't know why you're so obsessed with my opinion of Glenn Whelan.

This thread is now full of people praising him given how well he's been playing. Ironically I haven't posted that much in here lately as I haven't seen that many of our recent games. Yet you keep bringing my opinion back up.

I like him, I think he's underrated, I'm glad he's finally getting some appreciation.

Get over it.

• Confused 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I don't know why you're so obsessed with my opinion of Glenn Whelan.

This thread is now full of people praising him given how well he's been playing. Ironically I haven't posted that much in here lately as I haven't seen that many of our recent games. Yet you keep bringing my opinion back up.

I like him, I think he's underrated, I'm glad he's finally getting some appreciation.

Get over it.

Mate im just having a laugh. I said one post about you and lapal made a big thing out of it. 

You are far too serious at times. 

He’s been superb lately. 

12 hours ago, sne said:

:crylaugh:😍

Bilden kan innehålla: 1 person, som ler

U gotta love a guy who just is what he is and looks like a 60 year old fan-competition winner who goes out and goes to work every day as best he can and doesn't care about his Instagram, Twitter or Snapchat followers.

Looks exactly like Charlie Adam, they both look like pub players

Â