Glenn Whelan

Jareth

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Looks exactly like Charlie Adam, they both look like pub players

They sure do, but rather that than all of these Djibril Cisse clones who spend more time with their stylists than on the training pitch.

Edited by sne

8 hours ago, Farlz said:

Fantastic once again today. The difference in him from say this time last year is ridiculous I think, just so much better. 

Our results when he played big minutes end of last season were really good. I've pointed this out in the past. Many people just decided he was rubbish when he signed

• Like 4

A couple of times yesterday there was a chance of a break, one key one where he was jumping into a 50/50 header, the Bristol player didn't get off the ground and Whelan went over the top of him and slammed into the ground and got winded.

Had he not done that, they'd have been straight through onto our defence, he absolutely took that bump for the benefit of the team.

So brave.

Couple of nice passes out wide when things were tight in the middle, he was passed about twice in the whole game and that was due to McGinn trying to get up to Tammy to help him out.

Did exactly what was needed of him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Glenn Whelan may well be wondering how his career would have gone if he had been coached and played in a system like this a few years earlier.

Republic of Ireland fans might be wondering the same.

was thinking the same. He has worked with Trappatoni, MON, Bruce, Pulis and Hughes in the last decade and while he has had a good career he has probably shown more in the last 6 months as an actual footballer

I commented yesterday that Taylor has improved immensly over the last few weeks, but I’d say Whelo’s improvement is even greater. I always thought of him as competent enough, I suppose, but his form lately has been positevly Pirlo-esque. 

The coaching going on at BMH is borderline sorcery. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Glenn Whelan may well be wondering how his career would have gone if he had been coached and played in a system like this a few years earlier.

Republic of Ireland fans might be wondering the same.

I think its playing in a team that has a format and purpose....The players seem more relaxed, because they know what hey supposed to be doing.

I still see some things where I think we invite the opposition to take the initiative, like their goal, which I thought was a bit benevolent...but thats me being pedantic and also its hard to keep up the energy levels of being on the front foot for 90

My Old Fella, who followed Villa all his Adult Life (after arriving from Dublin) said "Every good Villa squad has a Irishman playing in it.

I told him 80'/'81/'82 was an exception.....He said where was Eamon Deacy from?........I had to concede.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

My Old Fella, who followed Villa all his Adult Life (after arriving from Dublin) said "Every good Villa squad has a Irishman playing in it.

I told him 80'/'81/'82 was an exception.....He said where was Eamon Deacy from?........I had to concede.

He's right. Although the Deacy example is a bit of a stretch, as he didn't get that many games. But Staunton, Houghton, McGrath... giants. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He's right. Although the Deacy example is a bit of a stretch, as he didn't get that many games. But Staunton, Houghton, McGrath... giants. 

That's what I thought, but as he was in his late 70's I let him off.

In actual fact....Ray Houghton was born in Scotland and Paul McGrath was born in London.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â