Rudy Gestede

midian

We knew what we were getting when we signed him - you look at the goals he scored for Blackburn last season - he scores from close range, or gets a header in. He's not a classy player, he's a big goalscoring target man - not a creative twinkle-toes, not a speed merchant, not a subtle player with great movement. He's a big bugger who gets on the end of crosses and can thump in a loose ball.

We play to his strengths, he'll score us goals, I reckon. There's not much you can do as a defender if somebody can physically dominate you.

• Like 2

We knew what we were getting when we signed him - you look at the goals he scored for Blackburn last season - he scores from close range, or gets a header in. He's not a classy player, he's a big goalscoring target man - not a creative twinkle-toes, not a speed merchant, not a subtle player with great movement. He's a big bugger who gets on the end of crosses and can thump in a loose ball.

We play to his strengths, he'll score us goals, I reckon. There's not much you can do as a defender if somebody can physically dominate you.

Apparently this applies to all defenders except Clark.

Apparently this applies to all defenders except Clark.

You think Clark can still defend well even when he is being dominated physically?

For someone who has been called a donkey, and I have to admit he isn't the most pleasing to the eye to watch but he has come up with 2 important goals, winner against Bournemouth and the blues. I don't care how bad his touch is, if he gets a few more winning goals he could gain us quite a few extra points!

I hereby christen Gestede Donkey King.  We can even style his hair into a nice crown with frosted Amavi tips all the better to pick him out from crosses.

For all the plaudits his two vital goals get, and for those who correctly want to give him time, isn't there something just a wee bit depressing about this clunking giant tin man huffing and scuffing amidst the beautiful likes of Villa's Favourite New Players/Saviours, Gil, Gana and Grealish?

Unfair and insulting. He is our player, for god's sake, he has scored 2 vital goals, he is improving, give him a break.

Um, I'm laughing with him, not at him?  I'm as passionate about Villa as they come, and I always absolutely support every player, but that doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with these strange men on this strange stage, or acknowledge my real thoughts beyond the proud lion face.  One can do both.

Anyway, just having a little fun... and being a bit precious about my beloved Villa.

It would be nice to give him some decent service, or at least the service that he clearly feeds on before we judge him.

Amavi, Grealish, Gil, Adama when he's fit, this is a world away from a McLeish team when Bent still managed to get double figures before his injury. Too bad if he can't read the clever through balls....

That's it Oz. Not sure what people expected. He's scoring goals whereas Ayew has just been given a massive new piece of leeway because for the first time he wasn't shit, yet hasn't scored. Sometimes none of it makes sense :)

• Like 2

What a great header it was.

Before the goal his first touch was atrocious. You could tell he knew he was having a poor game and that it was getting to him.

After the goal the confidence floods back and he started controlling the ball.

It doesn't help him that we Villa fans have been used to seeing Benteke lead the line for 3 years. 

He will frustrate but he will score goals.

That's it Oz. Not sure what people expected. He's scoring goals whereas Ayew has just been given a massive new piece of leeway because for the first time he wasn't shit, yet hasn't scored. Sometimes none of it makes sense :)

But that's because on Tuesday Ayew displayed some attributes that are useful to us even if he's not directly scoring goals.

Gestede did pretty much nothing apart from score.

Whilst that's obviously perfectly fine if he is scoring, it requires the team to play to his strengths, as most people have pointed out. If you get a game where our ability to cross is limited, then Gestede's contribution goes back to being poor.

Ayew, on the other hand, whilst not scoring, showed that he could be the kind of player that will carve out opportunities on his own (hopefully providing the crosses for GEstede to put away)

The point is, despite Gestede being the one who scored, it was Ayew who put in the better performance. That's why he's getting more leeway than Gestede. It's not always about scoring goals.

I think thats fair enough Stevo.

The lesson here though is they both still need more time before we see the best of them on a consistent basis. I think Rudy said himself this week he is still building his fitness after missing out on pre season.

If Rudy can win his flick ons, hold the ball up and get on the end of things in the box that will do us fine this season. I think he's done the first bit well in a couple of games and been poor in others, the second bit I've been generally dissapointed and the third he's shown glimpses of what he can do. I think with games and more fitness I expect all three to improve.

Also if he holds the ball up better it will get the team flowing better. For the last few years a big part of our attacks has been the ability of Benteke to hold it up and bring others into the game. I feel Rudy has the strength to do that but is getting a bit out nous'd by canny defenders at the moment.

Just watched the first half of the B.lose game (thanks Chewie) and I don't think Rudy is getting the credit he deserves. He worked really hard, won everything in the air, put in some good tackles, and OK, the ball bounced off him two or three times but he also made some good layoffs. He was by far the most effective of the front 3. Sinclair and Gabby were particularly poor (though Gabby was at least trying to put himself about). I think he did his best with players behind him just belting high balls in his general direction (never want to see Clark in that position again).

Add that to his fine goal and I think you have an acceptable performance from him. If he'd had half decent supporting players alongside him that first half would have looked a lot better. 

• Like 4

I agree, I thought he played well. I was surprised by his average ratings after the game.

A nose at work the next day said "fair play, you deserved the win, but I have to say Gestede is awful". 

It's funny how people see things differently.

Liverpools CB's are shite

If he puts himself about a bit i think he can get some joy there

Of course were going to have to hit in some quality crosses which i'm not convinced we do enough on a regular enough basis for him to be effective

I agree, I thought he played well. I was surprised by his average ratings after the game.

A nose at work the next day said "fair play, you deserved the win, but I have to say Gestede is awful". 

I didn't see the game but he was getting slaughtered on the match thread before the goal

I didn't see the game but he was getting slaughtered on the match thread before the goal

He looked like he was asleep until he the goal, then started really putting himself about.

Our problem is we are so use yo the class of benteke we expect gestede to be on that level which unfortunately he isn't. 6m I think is about right. Think the above poster is right we are nkt playing to his strengths we need floating balls in and we just are not doing that. Tuesday first half was just hoofball which was an embarrassment. We went more direct second half and Rudy was better

Â