Rudy Gestede

midian

Gestede, from what I can see is only strong in the air when attacking the ball towards goal...and assuming the delivery is excellent. My worry is Gestede has emerged form a league where he has had endless joy in the opposing box. The Premier league is a different animal and soon teams will wise up to stopping Amavi and Bacuna whipping balls into the box - therefore limiting Gestede's offering.

I like the lad, he works hard and is a beast in the 'danger zone' - but we are trying to use the guy in the same way we did Benteke and he is nowhere near that level. One of Benteke's main strengths, in my opinion, was taking the ball deep and bringing our midfielders into play thus creating a counter attack and with Christian having lost his marker by dropping deep he becomes harder to stop finding space and harder to prevent getting on the end of service. Rudy doesn't have the touch, strength or quality in those areas so we're left with only being able to make use of him (primarily) through crossing to him. Im always surprised to see how many headers Rudy doesn't win when facing our goal - and from Guzan's long kicks etc. 

Providing we can keep finding pockets of space for players like Amavi to deliver for him then we've got a chance of making full sue of him - I just feel he's limited. But don't get me wrong he is committed, gives his all and if the cross is decent, boy he can power home a header. The Premier League can be an unforgiving place though and I'm sure teams will be trying their hardest to stop us getting any service into their box for Rudy.

Worth remembering that it probably wasn't Tim's plan to have Rudy as our No.1 striker - as he was desperately trying to get Adabayor and Berbatov too. But at 27 yrs of age Rudy is no young gun and if we're going to use him then we need to get far more deliveries into him each game.

Carragher said on MNF that Rudy must be the best player in the air in the league at the moment

He is for me its just getting him the service, like with Benteke hoofing aimless balls to him is easy for defenders which we did vs Palace and United but whip them in and he is a threat

The attack needs to be 2 dimensional, which I'm not sure it is yet.  Feed Rudy with whipped in crosses (not just hoof it up to the big man) but if/when he's being marked out, use the space that creates for Gil/Grealish/Adama/Ayew to get onto.  And vice versa, get the attacking mids pulling the defenders away to give Rudy space to attack the ball.  He's shown he can score given the service but we have to offer variety to get him the space.  Too often we seem only to be able to play to one plan at a time (and it was the same with Benteke in there).

TBH I don't much care if the rest of his game is pretty average if he scores 1 in 2.

If all he is good at is scoring goals surely it is then down to the management team to get players around him who can get the ball into the right areas for him to score. 

Would managers have not played Lineker because all he knew was to score goals from inside the box? 

We need to get the ball into him correctly and this guy will score for fun. It's all about the service. 

the problem is we saw this with Benteke and to a lesser extent Carew is that when you see a guy good in the air you just hit the ball long to him and hope he can do something with it. Especially when you are a bit under the cosh. We will need be patient and work it to the wings to get crosses in

he needs players to get up in support of him and we need to stop these floated long balls which give the defenders time to get a running jump on him.

today we had sinclair running into dead ends, the midfield all 20 yards away, and this combined with the aimless hoofs it meant the ball kept coming straight back.

I think we're all kidding ourselves if we think this guy is the answer.

I like Rudy, but you have to be able to offer a hell of a lot more in the premier league than he does. 

He'll score a few goals with headers but it's his all round game that will hold back the team as a whole. Decent squad player I suppose.

I wonder who it was at the club who thought Blackburns second best striker could replace one of Europes most dangerous.

Actually, don't answer that, it's the same guy who thinks Gil is only worthy of a place on the bench..

sigh.

UTV

Â