Rudy Gestede

midian

His success at Blackburn was with balls crossed in for him to header direct at goal. He doesn't offer a lot with his back to goal, he's not the Benteke lite some of us may have hoped for but if we play to his strengths he'll do well.

A bit of an aerial Darren Bent.

• Like 1

He has one admittedly impressive trick, he isn't going to dramatically improve his all round game so we either play to his strengths or consign him to role of impact sub. 

....But he does the Ugly stuff very well.....I thought his physical presence was causing them problems....and the creative/ more skillful lads were benefitting from that.

against the top teams it may not be the same case and that more guile is required.....but there are plenty of teams where his presence will be an asset.

However, when the delivery is right his execution is sublime.

• Like 2

Tough one. Both goals have won the game for us. Only he is capable of that sort of goal. He also offers us protection from corners. He will be absolutely fine so long as his team mates are playing well, when all to often this season they haven't.

He has one admittedly impressive trick, he isn't going to dramatically improve his all round game so we either play to his strengths or consign him to role of impact sub. 

In some ways that's fair but in others I think you're writing him off too soon.

It's obvious that his first touch is not good enough but whether that's ability or nerves we don't yet know. We as a team have failed to use him properly but he's also struggled in winning meaningful headers (or even headers) and his back to goal work has been atrocious. 
I would hope that a manager would be able to improve his first touch and timing in the header because that's literally all we need from him. Take the ball in, pass 5 yards, run into the box. 
Most players can take a touch, most players can pass 5 yards, very few can win headers like he can....he has plenty of time and he might just need a few starts.

For someone who has been called a donkey, and I have to admit he isn't the most pleasing to the eye to watch but he has come up with 2 important goals, winner against Bournemouth and the blues. I don't care how bad his touch is, if he gets a few more winning goals he could gain us quite a few extra points!

I hereby christen Gestede Donkey King.  We can even style his hair into a nice crown with frosted Amavi tips all the better to pick him out from crosses.

For all the plaudits his two vital goals get, and for those who correctly want to give him time, isn't there something just a wee bit depressing about this clunking giant tin man huffing and scuffing amidst the beautiful likes of Villa's Favourite New Players/Saviours, Gil, Gana and Grealish?

For someone who has been called a donkey, and I have to admit he isn't the most pleasing to the eye to watch but he has come up with 2 important goals, winner against Bournemouth and the blues. I don't care how bad his touch is, if he gets a few more winning goals he could gain us quite a few extra points!

I hereby christen Gestede Donkey King.  We can even style his hair into a nice crown with frosted Amavi tips all the better to pick him out from crosses.

For all the plaudits his two vital goals get, and for those who correctly want to give him time, isn't there something just a wee bit depressing about this clunking giant tin man huffing and scuffing amidst the beautiful likes of Villa's Favourite New Players/Saviours, Gil, Gana and Grealish?

Unfair and insulting. He is our player, for god's sake, he has scored 2 vital goals, he is improving, give him a break.

In some ways that's fair but in others I think you're writing him off too soon.

It's obvious that his first touch is not good enough but whether that's ability or nerves we don't yet know. We as a team have failed to use him properly but he's also struggled in winning meaningful headers (or even headers) and his back to goal work has been atrocious. 
I would hope that a manager would be able to improve his first touch and timing in the header because that's literally all we need from him. Take the ball in, pass 5 yards, run into the box. 
Most players can take a touch, most players can pass 5 yards, very few can win headers like he can....he has plenty of time and he might just need a few starts.

Not sure I can agree entirely with that. Of course you would expect professional footballers to be constantly improving their games, and if he was a young man I would completely agree, but sadly he isn't a young man. From what we have seen so far, I can't see him dramatically improving in the areas you mention. 

I don't mean to sound overly critical of the guy, as I said, his heading ability in the box fantastic. I just think that given the limitations you either play to his strengths or simply don't play him. 

Â