Rudy Gestede

midian

To be fair, if you're cussing a new striker for scoring 1 in 2, regardless of anything else, you're a word removed and you know **** all about football.

Hence why a lot of people are confused why Kozak isn't given a chance. 

Gestede is a much greater threat than Kozak.

It looks that way, when we're playing to his strengths. In games where we're unable to do that, I still think Kozak would offer more. Kozak is a better target man (at the moment) than Gestede. 

Whipping crosses in to the box though, Gestede looks like he'll be a real asset.

The thing is, Gestede shouldn't be doing much more than he already is, the players around him should be doing it, he should be scoring, winning headers for others and generally being a nuisance to defences that's it. I've no problem with Kozak, but Gestede is doing his job very well right now.

When we have solved the rest of the problems on the pitch I think we'll begin to realise how much of an asset he is.

• Like 1

To be fair, if you're cussing a new striker for scoring 1 in 2, regardless of anything else, you're a word removed and you know **** all about football.

Hence why a lot of people are confused why Kozak isn't given a chance. 

Gestede is a much greater threat than Kozak.

It looks that way, when we're playing to his strengths. In games where we're unable to do that, I still think Kozak would offer more. Kozak is a better target man (at the moment) than Gestede. 

Whipping crosses in to the box though, Gestede looks like he'll be a real asset.

The thing is, Gestede shouldn't be doing much more than he already is, the players around him should be doing it, he should be scoring, winning headers for others and generally being a nuisance to defences that's it. I've no problem with Kozak, but Gestede is doing his job very well right now.

When we have solved the rest of the problems on the pitch I think we'll begin to realise how much of an asset he is.

I completely agree. I didn't see the game, just the highlights, but games like the Liverpool one where we are getting crosses in then you can't ask any more of him.

I'm talking about games like the first half vs SHA, where we aren't getting into those positions. In those situations a better target man would be a more effective player to have on the pitch.

But, you are totally right, that if the rest of the team played to his strengths then he'd be effective (as he was second half)

It goes back to my original point. If we're playing to his strengths then it's fine. But there will be situations where we won't, or can't, do that. In those situations there may be better options.

Almost any striker will struggle if he is isolated and about 20 yards from the nearest player as Gestede was for most of the game yesterday. He took the goals well and while I do think the is limited, if we play to his strength by whipping in crosses it looks like he can score

Edited by matrim
  • Like 1

You have to be incredibly lucky to find a striker for £6m that isn't limited in some aspect(s) of his game.

Gestede has his limitations, he has his strengths. It would just be nice if we played to the later rather than the former as we did for much of the Blues game.

• Like 1

They are not similar. Gestede has no movement. Kozak has great movement.

Ive seen enough the last 2 games to say Gestede has good enough movement especially he lost defenders quite easily for his 3 goals this week

• Like 1

What about Gestede and Kozak in a front 2. Can't be any worse

Two big similar guys up front. Does not work, that's why you never see it.

Lambert had Benteke and Kozak up top a few times when Kozak subbed on. They didn't seem to gel probably because they both wanted to do the same thing. 

I understand, but can't bring myself to agree with a lot of the criticism Rudy gets.

His obvious strengths are his heading ability and his.. strength! This has been clear for all to see. But his weaknesses haven't been that overwhelming that they've actually cost us in games, from what I can remember. He's not the best with the ball at his feet, nor is he the quickest, but I'd still say he's at least 'okay' at the aspects of the game that he doesn't excel in.

I'm firmly in the 'He's doing his job, Sherwood needs to help him do it more' camp.

What I'd really love to see, is a number of our players attacking the box like we seemed to do last season. If you're a defender and you have Alan Hutton or Jordan Amavi whipping a cross into your box, with the likes of Gestede, Gueye, Ayew and Grealish running at you and your fellow defenders, mistakes will inevitably be made and the attackers will, at least, bundle a goal into the net!

• Like 1

I'd like him to be able to hold up the ball better and be able to pass it a little bit as well. There actually IS more to being a striker than just scoring goals. 

Tell that to Ian Rush and Gary Lineker

1987 wants its tactics back.  All joking aside though.  Rush was more than a poacher and you don't get away with just poaching any more.  It would be interesting to see how Line Acre would cope in today's game, but that's always the impossible discussion when comparing eras.

1987 wants its tactics back.  All joking aside though.  Rush was more than a poacher and you don't get away with just poaching any more.  It would be interesting to see how Line Acre would cope in today's game, but that's always the impossible discussion when comparing eras.

I have no problem with Gestede just scoring, that's not our problem and he is not our worst player by a long stretch. What is annoying me is the inability to complete simple passes and the piss poor defending that is costing us. Our defensive shape is dreadful at times and that is both the defence and midfield. I'm more than happy with Gestede and what he is doing at the moment, it's his 1st season in the premier league.

Â