Rudy Gestede

midian

Shite. We could have had Austin yet instead we decide to buy Ayew and Gestede. Both have poor scoring records one comes from a shit league the other a lower league. A decision that could cost us our PL status.

Totally agree although I have not totally given up on Ayew but spending the same money on two unproven players could prove to be very very costly.

I don't think he's the problem. I think the problem is that players float ridiculously speculative high balls into the box and expect him to work miracles. We did that with Benteke last season too and it didn't work.

Unless you minimize the defender's chances of latching on by crossing the ball in with pace it's all but a lottery.

How did he score so many in the championship? He looks so poor at everything. 

It's simple really. Teams in the Championship like Blackburn get the ball wide over and over again and get crosses into the box from wingers. We rely on Hutton/Bacuna and Amavi to do that and these crosses usually come from deep rather than the byline and are actually pretty rare. You can't take a player as limited as Gestede who only really has one goal scoring attribute and then not play to that.

Edited by sexbelowsound

he scored on the opening day then people could not believe we did not start with him against united and kept calling for him. my opinion is hes a player who will really struggle to get double figures in the prem.

Him and Gabby combined won't get double figures

But he doesn't even look good in the air. I thought we were getting a limited player but someone who was a bit of a physical beast. He just looks weak, clumsy and pretty poor in the air.

Yep, I'd agree with that as well. 

Count me in too.

Our tactics are hopeless. Aimless floaty balls from deep and corners, we should be whipping at least 5-10 crosses with pace from the byline when he is on the pitch. Yesterday we managed one, he won the header although put it well over. 

Only Bacuna and Amavi look capable of putting such balls in. 

Given his goalscoring record last season, I don't think it's unrealistic to think we'd get a couple of million for him should we decide to cut our losses. So from that point of view I'm more worried about the signing of Ayew, who cost more and looks even worse. 

I'm genuinely not sure what the logic was with either of them. If he wanted a big lumbering target man we already have Kozak, if he wanted a nippy little forward come wide player that doesn't score goals we already had Gabby. 

What we actually needed was someone who could at least contribute towards replacing Benteke's goals. The failure to do that could cost the club a lot more than the £6m & £10m (respectively) that these guys cost. 

Edited by av1

Hes got to play instead of Gabby, and he needs to play the next 5 or 6 games.

With Gabby we have no focal point to our attack, and nobody to hold the ball up.Gabby offered nothing again yday, no attempts, or no link play.Hes not the only problem, but he is one of them.Would prefer Kozak over Gabby anyday.

But he doesn't even look good in the air. I thought we were getting a limited player but someone who was a bit of a physical beast. He just looks weak, clumsy and pretty poor in the air.

Yes, he seems to get handled pretty well by average premier league centre halves, they must be absolutely awful in the Championship then. 

So far, he really doesn't impose himself on games, and what worries me is that most of the time he is no where near the ball when it's in the box. The good strikers have a knack of being in the right place at the right time, Gestede hasn't really demonstrated any nous or know how as a forward.  

How did he score so many in the championship? He looks so poor at everything. 

It's simple really. Teams in the Championship like Blackburn get the ball wide over and over again and get crosses into the box from wingers. We rely on Hutton/Bacuna and Amavi to do that and these crosses usually come from deep rather than the byline and are actually pretty rare. You can't take a player as limited as Gestede who only really has one goal scoring attribute and then not play to that.

I agree with this. 

I'll hold my hands up, I thought Gestede would be a good signing and so far I look to have been very mistaken. But you're right, the reason it doesn't work is that there's little time spent playing to his strengths. Gil, Grealish and Traore aren't suddenly going to turn into Ruel Fox, beating men on the wings and whipping in crosses from the byline. So we're left with Hutton, who can't cross, and Amavi, who doesn't seem to really be that sort of player either. That's why we keep seeing Bacuna on the pitch, because he's the only person who's likely to put in balls that benefit Gestede. As someone else said above, he had one whipped cross yesterday and won the header. Okay, he missed, but if you do that half a dozen times he's going to get one or two on target. He just doesn't fit with the style of all of the players behind him, and that's so obvious to opposition managers that they know exactly how we'll change when he comes on. I really don't know what the answer is. 

Â