Rudy Gestede

midian

The thing is, that never should have been (nor was he intended to be) the only #9 signing and as such, Benteke's direct replacement in essence. Yet unfortunately the entire window was messed up when the manager decided to put all eggs into the Adebayor basket.

• Like 1

The thing is, that never should have been (nor was he intended to be) the only #9 signing and as such, Benteke's direct replacement in essence. Yet unfortunately the entire window was messed up when the manager decided to put all eggs into the Adebayor basket.

Harsh.

When the media team take pictures of him in the shirt and everything is going to plan, but then he decides to scrap it at the last minute because of god, is that Tim's fault?

Well yes and no. I still find it extremely uninspiring that Adebayor was seemingly his primary target to replace Benteke in the first place. However with any deal, you'd expect there to be alternatives sounded out in the event that the move for your preferred target breaks down - which can happen for any number of reasons. But this is Adebayor we are talking about, so it was no surprise at all. 

Let's remember that we had months to plan for the eventuality of Benteke's departure. For the window to shut and Rudy Gestede is our only genuine #9 incoming is absolutely inexcusable. Now maybe if Benteke's clause had been triggered and/or Adebayor pulled out of the move very late into the window, then that would justify it but neither of those things happened. It was simply poor planning and misguided faith in a known maverick.

• Like 1

I'm with those questioning the scouting, surely we can't have watched him on more than one occasion and seen how immobile he is and think he'd cut it in the PL?  It would probably be cheaper to buy one of those heads from Easter Island, stick it up front and bounce the ball off it.  Maybe I'll be proved wrong and he'll get a dozen with the right service,

His whole psychology looks wrong at the moment. He has no swagger whatsoever. He walks on looking like the kid who wasn't really invited to the party, when he should be Hugh Hefner.

Spot on.

I have noticed a major shoulder droop lately. He needs to get back to those pullovers, and get some some swagger back.

He just doesn't seem to have the hunger or the desire 

His movement is none existent and he doesn't put himself about a bit like he should given his frame and role

He should be busting a gut to get into the area but he seems lethargic and half asleep

In reality Sherwood signed Gestede and Ayew to replace Benteke. That he still is not giving them 90 minutes after 5-6 games speaks volumes for Sherwoods management and coaching. 

I don't think it questions his coaching as bringing in players from abroad and from a lower division they need time to adapt to this level.  As for his management ie acquiring this player, well that really can only be judged over time not the first handful of games.  

Personally I'm not impressed with Ayew at all and Gestede for me has shown glimpses but we arent playing his style of crosses into the box.  We all laughed at Liverpool for buying Benteke considering a team that dont play to his strengths and then we go and buy a striker who thrives on crosses and we then play 4-3-2-1 formation thus lack of width.

As I say though they need time to settle, gel with each other and learn Sherwood's tactics and then I will judge later in the season about the players individually.  Anyway it's not as if we can do anything until January anyway to change it.  This is our squad and we have to live with it but I'm not going to lose faith in players after a handful of games just like I wouldnt be singing from the rooftops if we had a player who played exceptional after a few games.

Fan adapts a Kaiser Chiefs hit to salute Aston Villa's new striker....

Never let it be said, that goalscorings dead, cos up front for Villa we've got Rudy Gestede

With his big crazy hair, he is class in the air.

He leaps like a salmon, jump with him if you dare.

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy, Rudy!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-christian-benteke-chant-fan-10052668

"That's the latest chant from Aston Villa's notorious singing supporter Alex Davis in honour of Rudy Gestede.  Having seen his previous ditty about Christian Benteke (to the the tune of Lion Sleeps Tonight) go viral, Alex, from Halesowen, is at it again with a musical tribute to Villa's new striker."

Edited by Gary Thomas

Well yes and no. I still find it extremely uninspiring that Adebayor was seemingly his primary target to replace Benteke in the first place. However with any deal, you'd expect there to be alternatives sounded out in the event that the move for your preferred target breaks down - which can happen for any number of reasons. But this is Adebayor we are talking about, so it was no surprise at all. 

Let's remember that we had months to plan for the eventuality of Benteke's departure. For the window to shut and Rudy Gestede is our only genuine #9 incoming is absolutely inexcusable. Now maybe if Benteke's clause had been triggered and/or Adebayor pulled out of the move very late into the window, then that would justify it but neither of those things happened. It was simply poor planning and misguided faith in a known maverick.

I think that Gestede was a panic last minute purchase when it was finally clear that the Adebayor deal was dead. TS made a big deal about how we had been tracking him all through the window but I don't recall seeing any gossip linking us to him. The transfer came totally out of left field at the end of the window

I can't remember exactly when we did the deal but I suspect Ayew was bought to play with Adebayor too (may be wrong over timings on that)

He's been just as disappointing as our other strikers, but I kinda still think he should start because then at least our attack has a focal point.

Against W Brom our players looked totally bereft of ideas when we had the ball and it often ended with a long ball towards Gabby:(

Gestede was pants when he came on, but for a brief spell the players had someone to aim at in the box and they seemed to have plan of what to do with the ball. I't quickly faded out thou.

Obviously I rather Kozak was given the chance to show what he could do, but that don't seem likely.

I'm sure Gabby will start once again as he's supposedly good in derbys and against Sunderland (not that he's shown that so far this season)

At least with Gestede on the pitch we might score from a set piece if just Westy could stop with those silly floated corners...

I think that Gestede was a panic last minute purchase when it was finally clear that the Adebayor deal was dead. TS made a big deal about how we had been tracking him all through the window but I don't recall seeing any gossip linking us to him. The transfer came totally out of left field at the end of the window

I can't remember exactly when we did the deal but I suspect Ayew was bought to play with Adebayor too (may be wrong over timings on that)

As I remember, the Adebayor deal was reported to have broken down after Gestede signed. And to be fair, the interest in Gestede was broken by The Sun a couple of weeks earlier. So it looks like he was always intended to be a squad-player who would compete with the main striker.

Â