Rudy Gestede

midian

I thought he was one of the decent players first half, won pretty much every header. Really pleased he scored. He's not going to be great but he can be a threat if we play to his strengths. 

Yeah, that's how I see it too. 

I'm slightly surprised at some of the stick he's getting on here tonight . . . a lot of his knock-downs in the first half reached another player. Yes, he doesn't have the one-touch-control technique of Benteke, but did anyone really think he would do? Assuming he doesn't actually set the tactics himself, it's not actually his fault that the first half seemed to involve lumping it to him when midfielders were 25 yards behind the ball. He also came into the game better in the second half, when there was less hoofing, which is a positive sign, and used his strength more. 

An improved performance.

PS. I think we need to get used to seeing him, because if Kozak is out of the picture, there's not much else. Gabby was shit and then got injured, Sinclair was bullied by the centre backs when he had his back to goal, and Ayew looked much better playing out wide. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

I hope I'm wrong but I guess this is what we'll get from him: absolutely nothing except an occasional great goal. Well, that's not too bad if it happens 10-15 times a season. Yes he wins a lot of headers but unlike some other similar players, his headers don't almost ever seem to lead to anything. I know it could be because of people around him too but it now has looked like 9 out of 10 of his touches are totally meaningless.

Its clear that he is a one trick pony. His touch is atrocious and he isn't actually that great at holding the ball up which is kind of the point in having a lump upfront. That said, that one trick is pretty damn impressive. 

His header was Tony Hateley like....for the older fans

He has the touch of a hippopotamus.....but do you know what, his muscle was essential tonight.

I was warming to him the longer the game went on.

His headers are like exocet's 

If he plays, then the tactics need to match. We need to get the ball wide and whip in crosses.
IF we do that, he will score goals.

What we need to get out of the habit of, is everyone just hoofing it up to him because he's on the pitch. We had the same problem sometimes under Lambert. "I'm under a bit of pressure, I'll just hoof it up to the big man"

Benteke could do very little with that sort of service, and Gestede can do even less.

I think Gestede can be an asset for us. But we need to use him correctly.

Spot on.  Also those crosses need to be closer to the byline (15 yards or less) like Amavi's was.  Bacuna and Hutton, for example, often don’t get close enough to the byline; instead of trying to get past the man they will just lump the ball in on the angle but those balls rarely work.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Was good tonight.

If he didn't score he'd be getting hammered on here. I thought he was terrible apart from the goal. The balls just bounces off him and he has 50p feet. Needs to improve.

Not from me he wouldn't (though I also don't think scoring the match-winning goal is exactly irrelevant either). 

As I said above, it's true that he doesn't have the close control of a top Premier League striker. But I can't believe that this isn't well-known and understood at this point, so the question becomes how we best play to his strengths. I'm not claiming he was brilliant yesterday, but he had a good second half, and the ball was just aimlessly hoofed to him less then. He's no Benteke, but what they share is that tactics involving firing balls at their heads/chests and then trying to retain possession via knockdowns are going to work once in a hundred attempts and frustrate all the other times. Good defenders will always deal with that stuff. He was actually more productively involved in the tie when the ball was on the floor. We need to keep possession, and find the room to cross to find his head, not just launch it towards him and then blame him if he can't maintain possession when the closest half-dozen players are opposition defenders and midfielders. 

Â