Rudy Gestede

midian

Agree, he is a very limited footballer but he WILL get us goals (I reckon will beat Tekkers tally in last seasons), he is not what is letting the team down. Put it in the right areas and he will put it away, not gonna be a game winner on his own, but we have others who have been brought in for that.

• Like 2

We knew what we were getting when we signed him - you look at the goals he scored for Blackburn last season - he scores from close range, or gets a header in. He's not a classy player, he's a big goalscoring target man - not a creative twinkle-toes, not a speed merchant, not a subtle player with great movement. He's a big bugger who gets on the end of crosses and can thump in a loose ball.

We play to his strengths, he'll score us goals, I reckon. There's not much you can do as a defender if somebody can physically dominate you.

.... yep. 

Just got in from Anfield, not sure what game some people in this thread were watching??

Even if you ignore the two goals he was our best player, only one (aside from maybe Gana) who actually looked bothered before we scored. Took two goals very well too.

Not only did he score twice, he cleared some 10 corners and his first touch is improving radically. Its no more than a couple of weeks ago where he didnt win anything in the air and couldnt control anything. He is gonna be  more and more important to us. He will attract more attention from defenders. Should help our other forwards find space and guys like Richards from our corners.

Edited by jsam
Pressed send by mistake damn tablet.
  • Like 2

Yeah definitely a good performance for a striker. We seriously need to get out of that Benteke zone. He's not going to hold the ball up for us against 2-3 CBs at the same time while providing little flicks and interplay with the midfield. Most strikers aren't really good at that, and Gestede's contributions in that respect have been acceptable so far. The fact that he's also banging in the goals means he's done his job and then some.

• Like 1

Unfashionable but doing his job. He does look clumsy and ungainly at times but his first goal was good positioning and well taken, and the second an absolute cracker.

The one he put over the bar against West Brom would have been a goal of the month contender if it had gone in, reminded me of another Rude -  Gullit

I reckon he will settle and get even better, can't see Ayew replacing him, only playing with him.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

To be fair, if you're cussing a new striker for scoring 1 in 2, regardless of anything else, you're a word removed and you know **** all about football.

Hence why a lot of people are confused why Kozak isn't given a chance. 

Gestede is a much greater threat than Kozak.

To be fair, if you're cussing a new striker for scoring 1 in 2, regardless of anything else, you're a word removed and you know **** all about football.

Hence why a lot of people are confused why Kozak isn't given a chance. 

Gestede is a much greater threat than Kozak.

It looks that way, when we're playing to his strengths. In games where we're unable to do that, I still think Kozak would offer more. Kozak is a better target man (at the moment) than Gestede. 

Whipping crosses in to the box though, Gestede looks like he'll be a real asset.

• Like 1

Â