Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Bit worrying you're aware of it to be honest. You sure you're normal? 

Very familiar with the adverts and subsequent jingle (one ad has the one and only Victor McGuire appearing in it). Plus being dad to a 7 year old helps keep me suitably informed.

But in answer to your question, no I’m not sure.

• Haha 1

I certainly don't get this, just read it The grauniad online:

According to the Academy’s new regulations, which will come into effect for the 2025 Oscars, films seeking best picture nominations must meet two out of four requirements.

The requirements include having at least one lead character in the movie be from an “an underrepresented racial or ethnic group”, having at least 30% of the general ensemble cast be from at least two underrepresented groups (women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+ people or people with disabilities), or having the movie’s subject focus on one of those groups.(seems to be three requirements not four, but whatever)

And this:

Earlier this year, the Academy president, Janet Yang, explained the Academy’s decision to implement the new changes, telling Sky News: “It’s finding the right balance. So, we want rules that make sense, that keep people kind of on your toes about it, but not telling people what to make.”

Only Haribo worth having is Haribo Konfekt, which you can't get in this country. Like licorice allsorts, but not as sweet and not as brightly coloured. Awesome. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I certainly don't get this, just read it The grauniad online:

According to the Academy’s new regulations, which will come into effect for the 2025 Oscars, films seeking best picture nominations must meet two out of four requirements.

The requirements include having at least one lead character in the movie be from an “an underrepresented racial or ethnic group”, having at least 30% of the general ensemble cast be from at least two underrepresented groups (women, ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+ people or people with disabilities), or having the movie’s subject focus on one of those groups.(seems to be three requirements not four, but whatever)

And this:

Earlier this year, the Academy president, Janet Yang, explained the Academy’s decision to implement the new changes, telling Sky News: “It’s finding the right balance. So, we want rules that make sense, that keep people kind of on your toes about it, but not telling people what to make.”

I get what they're trying to do but feels the wrong way to go about it as some brilliant movies would instantly be rejected (such as Banshees of Inisherin.

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I get what they're trying to do but feels the wrong way to go about it as some brilliant movies would instantly be rejected (such as Banshees of Inisherin.

The kudos of the Oscars (and other awards) has been so diluted in recent years anyway. Just feels like a box ticking exercise these days. As soon as the nominations are announced there are always controversies about the racial or gender make up of the nominees. Good films will still get made, they just won't chase the awards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The kudos of the Oscars (and other awards) has been so diluted in recent years anyway. Just feels like a box ticking exercise these days. As soon as the nominations are announced there are always controversies about the racial or gender make up of the nominees. Good films will still get made, they just won't chase the awards.

Definitely. It's the same with the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. Every year there's a kerfuffle about who did and didn't get elected. But it's an irrelevancy. 

7 hours ago, Anthony said:

Only Haribo worth having is Haribo Konfekt, which you can't get in this country. Like licorice allsorts, but not as sweet and not as brightly coloured. Awesome. 

Some of us can get it 😉

And if you can get the vampires you're laughing, haribo do a fair bit of good Licorice including the matador mix

Used to live in bonn where they had the factory shop in the centre of town and they had bags for 50p, loads of limited edition stuff like a coconut version and a chocolate orange version of the konfekt, there's tons more here but strangely it's hard to find tangfastics or star mix unless you go to the big factory shop in bonn and they have a world haribo section

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/10/2021 at 20:31, Paddywhack said:

Coke Zero is exactly the same as Diet Coke, it’s just in a red can.

I would like to retract this statement, apologise to you all and confirm that I was talking bullshit.

After years only having Coke Zero, I've just had a can of diet coke and it just tastes like sparkling water.

Coke Zero is waaaay nicer than Diet Coke.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I would like to retract this statement, apologise to you all and confirm that I was talking bullshit.

After years only having Coke Zero, I've just had a can of diet coke and it just tastes like sparkling water.

Coke Zero is waaaay nicer than Diet Coke.

They are very close ingredients wise so they will taste similar , there is less caffeine in Coke Zero  , but main difference is Diet coke uses  aspartame  for its sweetener where as Zero uses aspartame and acesulfame potassium

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It is but it’s still shit.  

Full Fat 4 Life!

Used to be my mantra. Then the doc told me I was 90% of the way to diabetes. Can’t stand the full sugar stuff now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

It is but it’s still shit.  

Full Fat 4 Life!

8 hours ago, choffer said:

Used to be my mantra. Then the doc told me I was 90% of the way to diabetes. Can’t stand the full sugar stuff now. 

Yep.  If I accidentally try a full fat drink now it's so overwhelming sweet and cloying. It's like when you stop having sugar in your tea or coffee, tastes like shit if someone puts some in. 

Pepsi Max > Coke Zero

On 25/03/2023 at 20:02, chrisp65 said:

I nearly went that way today just to have one of their scotch eggs which they manage to cook and keep the yolk soft.

You mean cooked properly? Are they the only place that can achieve this? If you can soft boil an egg it's really not that difficult.

Edited by fightoffyour

25 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Pepsi Max > Coke Zero

They are the best 2. My preference is Coke Zero but I'm perfectly happy with Pepsi Max.

Right, that's the boring post out of the way. The only way is up.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, choffer said:

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

They are the best 2. My preference is Coke Zero but I'm perfectly happy with Pepsi Max.

Right, that's the boring post out of the way. The only way is up.

Aldi ZX cola all the way 

image.jpeg.cca7c3df3968e07a6f65b2a71e939512.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Pepsi Max > Coke Zero

You mean cooked properly? Are they the only place that can achieve this? If you can soft boil an egg it's really not that difficult.

I’m not a prolific consumer of the scotch egg, but you’d be hard pressed to get a soft one from the Spar.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not a prolific consumer of the scotch egg, but you’d be hard pressed to get a soft one from the Spar.

Supermarket 'Scotch eggs' are an insult to the name though, see also pork pies.

• Like 2

Â