Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

22 minutes ago, Chindie said:

if you did manage to stuff it in my mouth and take a bite, the stick left a hole, which would line up directly with your nose, which, when you bit down, turned the hole into Old Faithful, blasting molten cheese sauce into your sinuses.

I feel like this should have really been a feature used for marketing purposes. The Cheesy Snorter Tall Boy or the like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I feel like this should have really been a feature used for marketing purposes. The Cheesy Snorter Tall Boy or the like.

*Insert wasabi snooters jackass gif*

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes! Well said. And don’t forget what you call “sweet corn” 🌽 and peanut butter 😂

Surely sweetcorn and peanut butter are just sweetcorn and peanut butter wherever you go?

I mean, both are horrible, but one is pretty much served as it grows and the other is in jars which are almost definitely all packed at the same factories wherever in the world they end up.

Unless you mean what we actually 'call' sweet corn and peanut butter, but I'm pretty sure we have the same names for those don't we?

Anyway, I'm confused.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Surely sweetcorn and peanut butter are just sweetcorn and peanut butter wherever you go?

I mean, both are horrible 

I like them both. But not as much as Americans do. We eat sweetcorn a few times a year. And we always have a jar of peanut butter in the cupboard - but it's only ever eaten on toast, never in any kind of recipe. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I like them both. But not as much as Americans do. We eat sweetcorn a few times a year. And we always have a jar of peanut butter in the cupboard - but it's only ever eaten on toast, never in any kind of recipe.

Doing your wife out of satay, you absolute monster :P 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I mean, both are horrible, but one is pretty much served as it grows and the other is in jars which are almost definitely all packed at the same factories wherever in the world they end up.

Haha. Sorry, my wording was a little ambiguous. “Peanut butter” is used in the same way in both Englishes. The phrase "sweet corn" is used here (and it can vary here too), but not quite in the same way or as often because “corn” has a very different historical usage in Britain. Maize is usually just called just "corn" here, not "sweet corn," and corn meals do seem to end up in more dishes here than in the UK -- cornbread, chips, corn tortillas, but far above all those -- corn syrup sweetener. Peanut butter is used a lot in American sweets. Snickers bars that you have in the UK are only the beginning. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

27 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Haha. The phrase "sweet corn" is used here (and it can vary here too), but not quite in the same way or as often. Maize is usually just called just "corn" here, not "sweet corn," and corn meals do seem to end up in more dishes here than in the UK -- cornbread, chips, corn tortillas, but far above all those -- corn syrup sweetener. Peanut butter is used a lot in American sweets. Snickers bars that you have in the UK are only the beginning. 

You missed out the real hero, corn dogs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

While we're on sweetcorn, I don't get how despite being chewed, it is able to regenerate back into it's full form when pooed out.

**** me. I'm eating my lunch as I read that. 🤮

• Haha 2

I don’t really understand British law. Why was this man arrested?

Causing “distress” is illegal? It just seems soooooo subjective and broad.

“James White, 33 (22.01.1990), of Warwickshire was charged on Sunday, 4 June with displaying threatening or abusing writing likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.”

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I don’t really understand British law. Why was this man arrested?

Causing “distress” is illegal? It just seems soooooo subjective and broad.

It's a public order offence to display anything that is intended to be offensive. There's an element of interpretation because you can defend the case on the grounds of the action being reasonable, and there's a freedom of speech element which weighs in as well.

But essentially you can't intentionally be a bellend or seek to upset people. Running around with a top on that suggests the Hillsborough disaster didn't kill enough Liverpool fans is going to get you in trouble. Whereas wearing something with a risqué joke on it is probably ok. 

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's a public order offence to display anything that is intended to be offensive. There's an element of interpretation because you can defend the case on the grounds of the action being reasonable, and there's a freedom of speech element which weighs in as well.

But essentially you can't intentionally be a bellend or seek to upset people. Running around with a top on that suggests the Hillsborough disaster didn't kill enough Liverpool fans is going to get you in trouble. Whereas wearing something with a risqué joke on it is probably ok. 

So they were correct to arrest the "Not my King" protestors.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So they were correct to arrest the "Not my King" protestors.

No. That wasn't offensive.

That was 'just' the police massively overstepping the mark to protect a 'historical moment' in a way that should have vast numbers of high level coppers sacked.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

No. That wasn't offensive.

That was 'just' the police massively overstepping the mark to protect a 'historical moment' in a way that should have vast numbers of high level coppers sacked.

Wasn't it?

I think you're splitting hairs.

There were thousands of people there who were passionate about the Royal family and would be very offended about protestors shouting and displaying negative things about the King, and some likely to react unfavourably.

You can't decide one thing is offensive because you are interested and agree it is, but say something else isn't offensive just because you're disinterested in it or somewhat agree with the message.

Surely offence is in the ear of the receiver?

I don't see much difference between the 97 t-shirt and ranting at the King amongst a royal crowd.  Both are designed to cause offence to those around you.

In my opinion you let the t-shirt stay if you let the royal protestors stay. You remove the T-shirt then you remove the Royal protestors.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â