Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I was around when Nirvana were big, but didn't listen to them at the time. I got into them about 10 years later and loved them. I haven't listened to them much in a while but I own a tshirt that I wear often which has their name on it.

Am I allowed to wear this according to VT?

Change Nirvana for The Beach Boys or Neil Young, am I allowed too? 😂 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

+ new music is shit...

there's a reason why lads are still listening to oasis and liam gallagher, no one has come along since and had that impact or trumped them, nirvana to an extent are the same (although its not my taste so im not completely sure) who has there been in the last 10 years of her life that the girl should be listening to instead? no one comes to my mind instantly

discovering old music is one of the luxuries of being young and for me personally is more enjoyable than discovering new music

Never got the Oasis obsession, they had a couple of good songs which are classics but generally not much else and they were dickheads.  Felt the obsession was more about them, their style/genre and being dicks and not liking each other but I thought there was better about at the time.  I know many won’t agree with me because of the cultness they had with their fans but I know many will agree with me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

This whole nineties baggy clothes thing is a bit weird.

I mean I'm glad skinny jeans are out, but watching stuff I wore as a kid become "retro" is a painful experience. I suppose some of you old timers have been through this before.

Also does this mean in 5 years we're going to have another wave of nu metal and skate punk?

You're too late -- the nu-metal revival began last year lol: 

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Lip fillers (Not a single woman with them doesn't look like a duck)

Used in moderation they're fine. You probably don't notice half the women who use them. But agree that a lot of women use too much of them and it doesn't look great.

But then who are we to tell women what they should look like?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Used in moderation they're fine. You probably don't notice half the women who use them. But agree that a lot of women use too much of them and it doesn't look great.

I don't tell them what to look like. I just don't get why they do it. It looks hideous and more often than not, hilarious.

16 hours ago, mottaloo said:

First of all, very brave of you walking around town as a shire dwelling DVB and secondly, a similar hate of mine is mates of mine who want to go on a pub crawl....just in case they see other mates or to enjoy a different vibe.

Pub no.1 - get settled, good spot in the pub, bag a table etc.....only to leave, head to subsequent pubs where you are further down the pecking order for a seat, table or good position as the place is already quite full....and just to drink the same beer as in pub no.1 !!

Am too old for all that crap.

I sort of see your point. If its moving for movings sake, then I agree. However, sometimes we are on a pre-arranged pub crawl and I enjoy those as well. I like to see what different ales pubs have ;)

40059001710-b30313a547.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Never got the Oasis obsession, they had a couple of good songs which are classics but generally not much else and they were dickheads.  Felt the obsession was more about them, their style/genre and being dicks and not liking each other but I thought there was better about at the time.  I know many won’t agree with me because of the cultness they had with their fans but I know many will agree with me.

How old are you?

I'm 38, to me they just had a resonation that no one has ever come close to touching - AM as a guy in his early 20s for most of their stuff would be next up but they didn't have the cultural significance

I think its easy to look at what oasis aren't, they aren't the beatles or the stones or Bowie or the punk bands but that wasn't ours, oasis were ours and that's the cult and the obsession comes from, they were the first absolutely huge band that 80s kids could lay claim to and then they had this weird big because they're popular and popular because they're big thing which made them bigger than they probably had a right to be 

But they were era defining... And going back to my original point no one since has managed to have that same era defining impact

As I type that I find it very easy to imagine nirvana are exactly the same

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Tattoos. Nobody had them for decades and now almost everyone not only has one, but many have the SAME one. Very individual.

Like piercings, getting them used to be acts of rebellion in a sense but eventually became acts of conformity.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Like piercings, getting them used to be acts of rebellion in a sense but eventually became acts of conformity.

I get my tattoos because I like tattoos. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So if your Mrs went out in a mankini, and shaved her hair off, you wouldn't say anything. 😂

You try too hard sometimes, you really do.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So if your Mrs went out in a mankini, and shaved her hair off, you wouldn't say anything. 😂

The point stands: who are we to tell women what they should look like? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is that what I said?

I stand here and tell my wife what to do she would be a headline and I would be an obituary. Those men that rule their wife and tell them how to act, behave and dress are the sort of men who get talked about as “he was always so quiet”. For the record my wife has masses of tattoos, she has piercings and when it takes her hair that has hues of the rainbow. Zero **** given. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

If people want advice on what to wear, they'll generally ask

My wife sometimes asks my opinion on potential fashion choices, just to confirm her decision to do the exact opposite. She is invariably right. 

• Like 2

Â