Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My wife sometimes asks my opinion on potential fashion choices, just to confirm her decision to do the exact opposite. She is invariably right. 

Nah my missus generally asks if she's not sure but no matter what I say, she reads my face and doesn't listen to my words

This only happens if our daughter isn't around AND isn't answering her phone / texts

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah my missus generally asks if she's not sure but no matter what I say, she reads my face and doesn't listen to my words

This only happens if our daughter isn't around AND isn't answering her phone / texts

My daughter is always around. My opinion means nothing as I think she is great in everything and I am not massively invested in if she looks good in something. My daughter is asked. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My wife sometimes asks my opinion on potential fashion choices, just to confirm her decision to do the exact opposite. She is invariably right. 

In my experience just say, yes dear you look lovely. Any other response is usually wrong and an invitation to an argument. 

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

In my experience just say, yes dear you look lovely. Any other response is usually wrong and an invitation to an argument. 

Oh, it's more complex. If I say that, she immediately doubts her choice, as she considers that I have terrible taste. I've learned that my best bet is to refuse to offer an opinion either way. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, it's more complex. If I say that, she immediately doubts her choice, as she considers that I have terrible taste. I've learned that my best bet is to refuse to offer an opinion either way. 

Alternatively you could say;

Look dear you look like a munter, I have no idea why I'm with you. Just put a sack on and some slap on ya face and no-one will know the difference.

We'd have a collection for ya funeral

• Like 1

I've made it clear to both my kids that I hate tattoos, think they're horrible ugly things and that they are permanent (OK I know you can get them lasered) and that I know many people who have seriously regretted them in later life. 

And I feel strongly enough to urge them not to do it, but I wouldn't try to actually stop them. 

I would also urge my daughter not to have lip fillers. 

Am I telling them what they should look like?, possibly but I wouldn't forgive myself if I was anything other than honest with them about what I feel. 

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've made it clear to both my kids that I hate tattoos, think they're horrible ugly things and that they are permanent (OK I know you can get them lasered) and that I know many people who have seriously regretted them in later life. 

And I feel strongly enough to urge them not to do it, but I wouldn't try to actually stop them. 

Am I telling them what they should look like?, possibly but I wouldn't forgive myself if I was anything other than honest with them about what I feel. 

I've had shit tattoos and had them lasered and replaced with proper tattoos in my old age.

I've smoked and drank excessively.

I no longer smoke and only drink when I'm thirsty. 

7 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I've had shit tattoos and had them lasered and replaced with proper tattoos in my old age.

I've smoked and drank excessively.

I no longer smoke and only drink when I'm thirsty. 

Good for you. Doesn't change that I know plenty of people who regret their tattoos so I'm not sure what point you're making. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Good for you. Doesn't change that I know plenty of people who regret their tattoos so I'm not sure what point you're making. 

That I had shit tattoos that I regretted, lasered them off and replaced with stuff I'd actually thought about. I'm now too old for regrets and the shit that was lockdown helped me stop smoking with no aids or extra expense.

Every cloud 

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But no, it's not wrong for you to advise them. That's our jobs as parents. Just don't beat yourself up when they ignore you and do it anyway. There's way worse things than tattoos and lip fillers, although I totally agree with you on the lip fillers

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

But no, it's not wrong for you to advise them. That's our jobs as parents. Just don't beat yourself up when they ignore you and do it anyway. There's way worse things than tattoos and lip fillers, although I totally agree with you on the lip fillers

Oh I know they're going to. They've made that clear. 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh I know they're going to. They've made that clear. 

So, instead of being totally against it, join in with the decision making. 

I didnt have parents I could discuss this stuff with (cos they deemed it wrong)

I bleached my hair blonde, pierced my tit and got shit tattoos.

All those things have now gone, including my folks. 

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

I bloody love my tattoos and always look forward to getting the next one.

I wish I'd started having them years ago tbh.

Totally agree, I just wish I'd thought more about my earlier ones as they have now gone and cost me more to remove then it did to have them. 

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

How old are you?

I'm 38, to me they just had a resonation that no one has ever come close to touching - AM as a guy in his early 20s for most of their stuff would be next up but they didn't have the cultural significance

I think its easy to look at what oasis aren't, they aren't the beatles or the stones or Bowie or the punk bands but that wasn't ours, oasis were ours and that's the cult and the obsession comes from, they were the first absolutely huge band that 80s kids could lay claim to and then they had this weird big because they're popular and popular because they're big thing which made them bigger than they probably had a right to be 

But they were era defining... And going back to my original point no one since has managed to have that same era defining impact

As I type that I find it very easy to imagine nirvana are exactly the same

I’ve just turned 46.  They were nowhere near era defining, they were the best in their genre of music for a while and had a couple of classics.  Their fans were cultish and loved them.  Generally they were extremely popular and obviously very well known but nowhere near era defining.  If you were deeply into that genre of music I guess you you might say it was era defining for you but when Wonderwall came out for example I was 18 years old, so prime age for music interest and it was a fabulous song and a classic to this day.  

I think it was one of those examples that it was defining for you and your mates at that time and many many others, and agreed they were a massive band but also I was living in that time and a few years older than you, and at that time I was out in the music scene whether gigs, clubs, festivals or whatever around Birmingham and given my love for music I travelled the country to see gigs and festivals.

I do agree that music has struggled to have major impacts bands in the last twenty years but I put that down to me getting old and not understanding the younger ones music and music changing significantly.  The people who have major impact these days, for the last twenty years aren’t bands, their music is very different so to some, the younger generation they have their own era defining influencers, that we don’t get but for them they think as era defining.  

Going back to the original point, no way were Oasis era defining, I can agree they were era defining for their fans, for people who followed them especially in their defining and influential teenage years.  Given you think Nirvana could be the same, I think it’s probably down to the type of music you like overall where the opinion you have has come from.  I know you won’t agree with me but that’s fine, music is very much like that.

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I bloody love my tattoos and always look forward to getting the next one.

I wish I'd started having them years ago tbh.

I loved my tattoos for about 20 odd years but not anymore and would seriously consider getting them removed.

Hopefully you continue loving them.

Â