Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've made it clear to both my kids that I hate tattoos, think they're horrible ugly things and that they are permanent (OK I know you can get them lasered) and that I know many people who have seriously regretted them in later life. 

And I feel strongly enough to urge them not to do it, but I wouldn't try to actually stop them. 

I would also urge my daughter not to have lip fillers. 

Am I telling them what they should look like?, possibly but I wouldn't forgive myself if I was anything other than honest with them about what I feel. 

This

My Homer like advice to  my kids was don’t be one of those clearings in the woods that can’t think for themselves and grows a beard or gets a sleeve full of tattoos because someone on the internet has one 

But , if they want a tattoo because they like them then , I wouldn’t stop them same as I wouldn’t stop them eating Tofu or dating a French person however distasteful both of those scenarios are :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Why Americans think chicken in any form is a suitable breakfast food. 

you say that but i would quite happily try southern chicken and waffles just for shits and giggles, was in new york 4 years ago and day 1 i went to the 24 hour diner next to my hotel, 3 NYPD cars outside, yellow cigarette smoke stains on the suspended ceiling, little booth in the corner, free big glass of water, it was mid december and they had xmas music blaring, waitress was everything you'd expect, french toast "bacon" sausage scrambled eggs and hot sauce

i was in heaven

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you say that but i would quite happily try southern chicken and waffles just for shits and giggles, was in new york 4 years ago and day 1 i went to the 24 hour diner next to my hotel, 3 NYPD cars outside, yellow cigarette smoke stains on the suspended ceiling, little booth in the corner, free big glass of water, it was mid december and they had xmas music blaring, waitress was everything you'd expect, french toast "bacon" sausage scrambled eggs and hot sauce

i was in heaven

I cant mix them myself, french toast, yes, waffles, yes, chicken, yes. Anywhere near each other, nope.

Just now, bickster said:

If a chicken is an egg, have you suddenly become Pro-Life? ;) 

‘In any form’ was the quote from Mr Seat.

I consider an egg that has popped out of the arse of a chicken (Biology o level grade c) to be sufficiently chicken to count as chicken in any form. 

• Haha 1

On 30/01/2023 at 21:53, sidcow said:

I've made it clear to both my kids that I hate tattoos, think they're horrible ugly things and that they are permanent (OK I know you can get them lasered) and that I know many people who have seriously regretted them in later life. 

And I feel strongly enough to urge them not to do it, but I wouldn't try to actually stop them. 

I would also urge my daughter not to have lip fillers. 

Am I telling them what they should look like?, possibly but I wouldn't forgive myself if I was anything other than honest with them about what I feel. 

Sadly these things are mostly driven by a wish to fit in, rather than an actual taste for them.

As Piaget described, teenagers reach what he called the Messianic stage in their development, and don't take difference lightly.

Like predators on the Serengeti the bullies look for difference amongst the herd, when they choose a target: boys choose violence to punish dissidents and girls choose psychological torture.

So a little understanding might be useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is this Nuclear Arms treaty so important. 

They can all blow up the world several times over, what does it matter if one can blow it up a couple more times? 

Edited by sidcow

Â