Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Boxing. And moreover, the modern day so called Boxing "fan". 

20 years ago I swear hardly anyone watched it (other than the big heavyweight fights)

Nowadays it seems the world and his dog has an opinion and every single fight on the planet.

Then when you look at the people who are actually there, they seem to be the absolute dregs of society. The worst of the football hooligans.

A total chav sport. At least it is these days.

• Like 2

On 23/02/2023 at 02:05, GlobalVillan said:

20 years ago I swear hardly anyone watched it (other than the big heavyweight fights)

Nowadays it seems the world and his dog has an opinion and every single fight on the planet.

Then when you look at the people who are actually there, they seem to be the absolute dregs of society. The worst of the football hooligans.

At least way back then we used to hit each other ( Marciano,Clay,Cooper,London,etc etc ) now they just shadow box and clinch.

My Dad boxed in his youth, and was a big fight fan all his life, right from the days of Dempsey, Louis and Marciano (he had no time for Ali, for the same reason he disliked Brian Clough - 'gobshite'). 

Me? Never saw the appeal at all. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/02/2023 at 18:05, GlobalVillan said:

I’m not so sure, 20 years ago, you had Ricky Hatton, who was immensely popular, Naz, Marco, Antonio, Barrera, Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Eric morales, Calzaghe, Roy Jones jar, non of which were heavyweights I could go on for ages, and most of myself and my circle will talk about these fighters and more often. Before that you have the golden middleweight generation of the UK, before that the Hagler Hearns, sugar Ray era etc

Edited by Follyfoot

Why has every motorway services got a mobile phone accessories shop. Just seems pretty random that heading up the M6 you’d suddenly decide you want a new case for your phone. 

19 minutes ago, av1 said:

Why has every motorway services got a mobile phone accessories shop. Just seems pretty random that heading up the M6 you’d suddenly decide you want a new case for your phone. 

Only the other day I realised I needed a £25 tee shirt from Cotton Traders, a luke warm small bottle of Pepsi for £2.29 from Smiths, a child’s wet suit from well I’m not sure who’s selling these they’re just sort of in the concourse, and a circular light for doing my insta posts from a man with a stall at the entrance to the toilets.

Straight up the motorway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Only the other day I realised I needed a £25 tee shirt from Cotton Traders, a luke warm small bottle of Pepsi for £2.29 from Smiths, a child’s wet suit from well I’m not sure who’s selling these they’re just sort of in the concourse, and a circular light for doing my insta posts from a man with a stall at the entrance to the toilets.

Straight up the motorway.

Or you could go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum

Gloucester and Tebay Services

• Like 3

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Same as an arcade. Who drives along the M54 and thinks... "I really want to play a fruit machine right now"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Same as an arcade. Who drives along the M54 and thinks... "I really want to play a fruit machine right now"

Who drives along the motorway and thinks I'm so Hungary I'll stop here, get a sandwich, a bag of crisps, an a drink, for the same price as dining in a Michelin star restaurant. 😂

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I’m not so sure, 20 years ago, you had Ricky Hatton, who was immensely popular, Naz, Marco, Antonio, Barrera, Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Eric morales, Calzaghe, Roy Jones jar, non of which were heavyweights I could go on for ages, and most of myself and my circle will talk about these fighters and more often. Before that you have the golden middleweight generation of the UK, before that the Hagler Hearns, sugar Ray era etc

Any relation?

image.jpeg.bbe33ff89161651c5f4bebf8490075e8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Or you could go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum

Gloucester and Tebay Services

I nearly went that way today just to have one of their scotch eggs which they manage to cook and keep the yolk soft.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I nearly went that way today just to have one of their scotch eggs which they manage to cook and keep the yolk soft.

Found £50 note down the back of the sofa obviously

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Found £50 note down the back of the sofa obviously

That is the other thing that’s nice to do there, wander around the shop and wonder who spends £23 on a jar of pickled onions.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Who drives along the motorway and thinks I'm so Hungary I'll stop here, get a sandwich, a bag of crisps, an a drink, for the same price as dining in a Michelin star restaurant. 😂

I'll be honest, i've had a chai latte at Telford Services. Money to burn eh ;)

• Haha 1

Â