André Green

sir_gary_cahill

Its a huge risk on the part of Bruce because if he continues to pick him and he keeps missing easy chances then that will eventually cost him his job. would it not be better for Bruce to bite the bullet and bring back ross MCCormack

Edited by PaulC

The risk was going into the season with only Green and Bjarnasson as LM options. McCormack cannot play wide left so I don't think your comparing like with like there. 

I'd stick with Andre I think he'll get a goal soon which will do him the world of good. I don't see him as being a big culprit for these awful performances. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Hold on, let's just flip this on it's head a moment...

We have a winger who is young and learning his game, but who is consistently getting into positions which allow him to have a chance of scoring or assisting.  He could (and should) have had 2 goals this season - one header in front of an open goal and one missed 1-on-1... who are our other players getting in similar positions and offering this threat?

It seems fairly mad to me that we wouldn't want to play him.  One of my biggest criticisms of Grealish (only being used as an example of our academy) is that he does nothing with the ball when he gets it.  Great at dribbling past players, but then loses it.  Green doesn't lose it, persay, he's just not perfected his end product yet.  Taking him out of the team doesn't help this IMO.  He needs to keep playing, keep trying and, eventually, it will click.

People really do want everything right now.

Thanks bobzy, you saved me some typing by posting this.  I agree entirely.  If we were dripping in options I would maybe have him being subbed on rather than starting, but the only winger we have that is worth a damn is Adomah (with Elmo injured) and that still leaves another wing with no one on it.  Green is the best option we have, he is going to get better the more he plays and he is doing enough right for me to want to persist with him.  Even Thierry Henry struggled to find the back of the net when he joined Arsenal, he went his first 8 games without a goal and was consistently compare unfavorably with Anelka because he kept snatching at chances. 

Missing a few chances now does not mean that Green will never be able to calmly slot the ball home later in his career.  I'd rather have the winger that misses a few chances than Thor, the winger misses trapping the ball.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2017 at 14:30, Straggler said:

Thanks bobzy, you saved me some typing by posting this.  I agree entirely.  If we were dripping in options I would maybe have him being subbed on rather than starting, but the only winger we have that is worth a damn is Adomah (with Elmo injured) and that still leaves another wing with no one on it.  Green is the best option we have, he is going to get better the more he plays and he is doing enough right for me to want to persist with him.  Even Thierry Henry struggled to find the back of the net when he joined Arsenal, he went his first 8 games without a goal and was consistently compare unfavorably with Anelka because he kept snatching at chances. 

Missing a few chances now does not mean that Green will never be able to calmly slot the ball home later in his career.  I'd rather have the winger that misses a few chances than Thor, the winger misses trapping the ball.

I think these posts deserve extra likes and a lot of people in the last few pages need to swallow a bit of pride.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Two open net headers missed. Really needs to work on that, but good match.

was about to say exactly the same thing. Good with his feet but his heading is awful & needs work asap considering the positions he gets himself into

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Cristiano Ronaldo went years before he scored his first header. He has time on his side.

Definitely, but we are in a position where we need goals. That goal Green missed a few matches ago would have tied the match. I'll cut him some slack on that one though because no one expected that ball to get to him. 

Green seems to be able to hit screamers, but struggles with the simple finishes. He also missed a breakaway last match. 

I was happy to see the bit in the last few minutes when he was out on the left in their half surrounded by their players, and he kept the ball, ran back to our half and played it all the way back to the keeper. In previous games he was surrendering possession far too easily, so hopefully he is learning.

Great goal, let's see if he can do that more consistently.

Â