André Green

sir_gary_cahill

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I'm still fairly surprised when I see people putting him in their first choice eleven. I hope he comes good, but so far, for me, he's shown less than Marc Albrighton/ Andy Weimann showed at his age, and I'd probably compare him more to Delfouneso, in terms of ability and potential. He has the physique and the pace, but he's shown very little end product so far.

I await being pleasantly surprised!

To be fair we're of much lower quality than we were when we had the likes of Albrighton and Weimann coming through.

I'm surprised people put him in their first XI. He's a good kid with potential but for me he's still a second stringer.    Try and continue to bed in this season with sub and cup appearances and 10-12 starts in the league maybe and hope his good traits improve, his weaknesses get ironed out and improve consistency.  Not a locked in first XI for me, hopefully a couple of years if he continues to improve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I honestly think he's already done more in the first team than the Fonz did.

He was **** dreadful.

I disagree, and think that's a fairly harsh assessment of the Fonz. In the two seasons where he first started playing for the first team, he looked direct, positive and with a good burst of pace. Around the same age that Green is now, didn't he win 'Young Player of the Season'?

He can't have been completely dreadful. He was definitely seen as one of our best prospects, much like Green is now, until a few years later when we all realised he wasn't going to make it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I disagree, and think that's a fairly harsh assessment of the Fonz. In the two seasons where he first started playing for the first team, he looked direct, positive and with a good burst of pace. Around the same age that Green is now, didn't he win 'Young Player of the Season'?

He can't have been completely dreadful. He was definitely seen as one of our best prospects, much like Green is now, until a few years later when we all realised he wasn't going to make it.

Yeah I'd agree with this. He didn't live up to the hype (allegedly attitude issues) but when he first broke through he wasn't dreadful at all. Scored a few goals for us and genuinely looked alright. I think his major issue at Villa was that he came through at a time when we had some very good attacking players and he was never able to get a consistent run of games.

I'd actually argue that Delfouneso showed a lot more in his first couple of seasons than Andre Green has so far. There doesn't seem to be much end product from Green at the moment.

What I would say is that I don't think anyone could really doubt Green's application and work ethic and that stands him in good stead for fulfilling his potential in a better way than Delfouneso. Additionally, the fact that the competition for his spot seems to be Barney who looks out of place there means he's likely to get a lot more opportunities this season to have a serious run of games.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

He was seen as one of our best prospects until he actually started playing for the first team and was basically awful every time he played.

Green looks a better player from what little I've seen and I think he'll end up as first choice on the left hand side this season.

Fonz was always bad, I remember all the hype then I watched him in the flesh. You would think he would be lightning quick being so young but he wasn't, Heskey was quicker at 33. He was weak as anything, his touch was horrible, he never, ever, ever got into a goalscoring position in a PL game. Andre Green is lightyears ahead of Fonz.

He has got the pace, the physique, all the raw attributes. He just needs to get an education now, to learn to make the right decisions where it matters, and put it all together.

Fonz did well in the europa, scored a few goals when we were putting the reserve teams out (those were the days eh?) but can't say he convinced me from his premier league appearences he was going to be a regular scorer.

Andre Green has good attributes, he tracks back excellently which is something that young players usually can't do as they're just focused on playing in the opposition half. He's also got a good knack of gambling at the back post and getting on the end of crosses, should've scored v Derby and there was another game where he did it and could've easily got a goal.

He's got a good grasp of some of the harder parts of the game and is a team player (compare him to Adama who was more exciting to watch but had no idea on those aspects). He just needs to impose himself now, score and set up some goals.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I thought Fonz terrible.

He was good in Happy Days had a neat jacket and bike at least I thought he did . 

Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

He was good in Happy Days had a neat jacket and bike at least I thought he did . 

He was a middle aged man hanging round with teenagers and even lived above their house. Little creepy actually...

As for Andre we certainly shouldn't be relying on him to perform every game, but he deserves an opportunity to stake a starting berth

I think our problem is that we want our academy kids to come through the ranks and be stars in our first XI or at least really good first XI. We exaggerate their good points, say their bad points are due to youth or need more games when really 95% of the time they are just not going to do it at this level. 

Green is next off the rank of these kids into the first team and I hope he is part of the 5% like Cahill or Barry (even though we brought him) rather than the Moores or Fonz. The likely hood though he is part of the 95% that in a few years will be playing for lower leagues or out of football

• Like 1

Should have scored, he is good at getting in at the back post and did so a number of times at the end of last season. That was a bad miss though. Fingers crossed he get a goal soon. We looked a better team when he came on I thought.

• Like 1

Â