André Green

sir_gary_cahill

Just now, DCJonah said:

Runs at defenders but nothing comes from it. 

Just shouldn't be starting regular for us at the moment. 

Desperate for a winger. 

This. He is just not ready. We need pace and skill on the flanks. 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Disagree entirely - he seems to be the only attacking player we have with any sort of fight in him right now.

Was our only threat tonight really.  Did a lot of things wrong in terms of end product, but a lot of things right by driving with the ball, taking defenders on etc.  Should've scored.

Sorry, to be clear I meant struggling with end product, not endeavor. 

• Like 1

On 03/08/2017 at 11:15, Rob182 said:

I'm still fairly surprised when I see people putting him in their first choice eleven. I hope he comes good, but so far, for me, he's shown less than Marc Albrighton/ Andy Weimann showed at his age, and I'd probably compare him more to Delfouneso, in terms of ability and potential. He has the physique and the pace, but he's shown very little end product so far.

I await being pleasantly surprised!

I'm still waiting...

I hope a new manager can get more from him. Maybe a manager who allows us to play more openly, creator space for him to run in.

His end product needs a lot of work but I'm still of the opinion the more he plays, the more he'll improve. I think he's learning with every first team minute he gets.

I just wish Bree was playing as much as him.

• Like 1

Thought he was by far our best player last night, and the only one who looked likely to create anything.

He's inconsistent, but I'm not sure why he's getting so much criticism.

There's a real oddity about our academy graduates. Some seem to get overly criticised while others are immune from it.

Green, imo, falls into the former category.

He's 19 with only a handful of appearances and people seem to be expecting him to be the complete package.
He's showing more than Albrighton, Grealish and others did at his age.

• Like 1

Unfortunately he has cost us points with his terrible finishing. You are never going to be a great player if your shooting is as terrible as his is.

I dont want to bash him too much because like stevo says he was despite his bad miss was one of the better players

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Unfortunately he has cost us points with his terrible finishing. You are never going to be a great player if your shooting is as terrible as his is.

I dont want to bash him too much because like stevo says he was despite his bad miss was one of the better players

I have to agree, he does look like one of our better players but he has absolutely no end product and is completely ineffectual in the final third. Pretty much sums the whole team up as it happens. We need a better option until he finds his scoring and crossing boots. I suspect he doesn't own a pair!

Edited by Lomaski

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Thought he was by far our best player last night, and the only one who looked likely to create anything.

There's a real oddity about our academy graduates. Some seem to get overly criticised while others are immune from it.

He's 19 with only a handful of appearances and people seem to be expecting him to be the complete package.

I think the oddity is the actual cause. I know I'm personally critical of him, because of what I've heard and seen numerous Villa fans say about him. I see tweet after tweet after tweet from fans putting him in their first choice eleven, there's a guy at my work who said 'Green's the finished article' before the season started, I've seen people saying he'll be as good as Ashley Young.

The hype makes people like me, people who aren't seeing the hype and just seeing the pressure that it could put on him, offer a different view, that he's perhaps a young kid with potential, but no-where near as good as our senior wingers.

This, in my opinion, starts the whole roundabout. The people hyping him up do so as a response to those not, and it goes back and forth. Although I suppose a roundabout doesn't go back and forth, so maybe it's a see saw.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This just isn't true for me. He had a decent game but still missed an absolute sitter and again had no end product. Rather than being inconsistent at the moment his end product is consistently not good enough. 

He's being asked to do way too much but if we continue to play a winger who doesn't score and doesn't get any assists it's not going to help us get up this year. I'd much rather he was getting game time from the bench and we had a left winger playing who was a more well rounded player. For me he's just not ready yet to be a guaranteed starter and therefore we need a left winger. 

A youngster being made to learn his trade in a struggling team in front of an inpatient crowd. Bruce's post match interviews have mentioned his missed chances twice now which isn't very fair on the lad. It's a shame our squad isn't in a better state so that we could allow him to go out on loan and develop his end product for a season elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Exactly.

Again, he's 19. He's made a handful of starts.

He's not going to be perfect yet.

As I said before, he's showing more than plenty of other academy products have at his age.

Â