André Green

sir_gary_cahill

35 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

As a pacy winger tonight wasn't the ideal conditions for him to fully utilize his strengths, but I still saw him getting some good runs in and beating their defenders. At times in tight spots marked by two men. Not his best day overall, but he's definitely a talent and I think he'll do well for us this season.

Basically a mix of this and what @DCJonah said - he's not consistent yet (I'd still have him starting FWIW) and the conditions didn't seem to suit his play.

I actually think he tries to do too much himself. I like his directness but I'd also like him to get his head up a bit more. Still, great prospect. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

He would gain massively from us having an attacking coach and some patterns to our play when attacking.

As it is now he is given too much freedom (strange as it might sound) and he's not quite that good yet at 19.

Yeah he hasnt been great this season... wasnt like he was last season before his injury. Hes starting to remind me of Albrighton.. came in like a house on fire then they figured him out.. he had to adapt his game and struggled for a bit. 

I think to a lesser extent thats whats happening with Andre. He needs to mix it up a bit. Not always take the player on the line.. cut in more.. pass back... pass and move etc etc. He seems to only want to take the player on and lose possession. 

But that will come with experience like it did with Marc. Just hope he doesnt get slammed by our 'fans'. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's a final ball/decision away from being a very good player.

I agree but think that's a pretty big thing, especially for an attacking winger. 

If Adama had a good final ball or made better decisions he'd still be at Barcelona rather than not even making the bench for boro. 

I think it will take Green time, I think we're so desperate for things to be better we are all just pulling for a player like Green to be a regular key man for us. I think it will come and while Gabby is fit I'd use him more off the bench

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree but think that's a pretty big thing, especially for an attacking winger. 

If Adama had a good final ball or made better decisions he'd still be at Barcelona rather than not even making the bench for boro. 

The difference is Green possesses a good final ball, I think he's just trying to do a bit too much at the moment. Yesterday there were several times when he tried to beat a man instead of quitting while he was ahead and playing a pass or a cross.

He does the right things sometimes, just not enough.

Adama just barely ever did the right thing.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KSV said:

Yeah he hasnt been great this season... wasnt like he was last season before his injury. Hes starting to remind me of Albrighton.. came in like a house on fire then they figured him out.. he had to adapt his game and struggled for a bit. 

I think to a lesser extent thats whats happening with Andre. He needs to mix it up a bit. Not always take the player on the line.. cut in more.. pass back... pass and move etc etc. He seems to only want to take the player on and lose possession. 

But that will come with experience like it did with Marc. Just hope he doesnt get slammed by our 'fans'. 

I think he may become a better player than Albrighton. I don't think Green is as one dimensional. And I still like Albrighton - good to see him doing well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If I'm totally honest, he doesn't look good enough. Seems to be getting the basics all wrong.

It pains me to say that as we are short of genuine wingers and I had high hopes for him. 

I think you are being way too harsh. The lad is just 19 and last night was his sixth career start. He looks exactly what he is, which is raw. The basics are there though. He has the build, the speed, can beat a man, is a good crosser of the ball and looks to have a decent shot on him. He also works hard.

As others have said he needs to improve on his decision making and try to ensure he keeps himself involved in games and doesn't go missing. That will come in time though the more experience he gains.

I wouldn't see him regularly starting for us at this point but he is certainly good enough to be involved and as he showed on Saturday is a great option as an impact sub.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

He seems to be struggling. I think there is something there but now is not the time to be using him. He's too young and inexperienced to be on the pitch with what is going on. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

He seems to be struggling. I think there is something there but now is not the time to be using him. He's too young and inexperienced to be on the pitch with what is going on. 

Disagree entirely - he seems to be the only attacking player we have with any sort of fight in him right now.

Was our only threat tonight really.  Did a lot of things wrong in terms of end product, but a lot of things right by driving with the ball, taking defenders on etc.  Should've scored.

• Like 2

Â