Grant Holt

samjp26

We need to drop the pathetic personal insults about Holt as well. It's embarrassing.

Totally agree - he's wearing the shirt now. I just hope having an experienced pro in the squad will make a difference.

why did we not sign John Gudetti?  a realistic target I'd imagine?

Why is everyone so sure this guy is the business? Done nothing apart from one season in the dutch league and there's no shortage of prolific goalscorers from that league going to others and failing. Is it not also a little weird that he's soo good but going on loan to stoke?

• Like 2

I won't say it's a poor signing because he may well do a job (said more in hope than expectation).

It is certainly a signing we do not need, that much is clear to me. All the best to him though, hope he does well for us.

He brings experience, has made some impact in the PL and Lambo knows what he can expect from him for the rest of the season.

He should also not put too big a hole in whatever money we have to work with in this window so this should leave us still able to go for other targets say one on loan for central defence & a purchase or even two for the midfield if we do have more than the odd million or two to spend during this window.  

Good luck at VP Grant (a Holt scoring for us at the Holte End seems a headline that is waiting to happen)!   

If he wasn't 33 and struggling in the championship I might buy into the argument.

Holt was not the signing I was hoping for, and I have my doubts, but the struggling at Wigan is not a good argument. We all know how Uwe Rösler can act. Just remember all the stories about how he treated and fell out with players in the former clubs in Norway.

Holt started well in his Wigan career with a manager that had faith in him. Scored two in the first four league matches. Then he had some injury struggles and came on as a sub in several matches. Then Wigan started to fail, and in December came Rösler in. Lots of unfortunate situations for Mr Holt. I am sure that he is more than good enough for all the Championship sides. Not so sure about good enough for a Villa that will finish in 12th-14th place this season.

• Like 1

Maybe our song for him could be "Feed Grant Holt and he will score, feed Grant Holt and he will score"?

Has anyone considered that this may be a masterstroke by the board in order to get Greggs in as our next club sponsor?

Joking apart, I hope he does do the business for us and prove any doubters that the deal was worthwhile.

He probably wont even start a match. Signed as cover IMO?

I've a feeling him and Bentekke will be our new strike force and Gabby will drop into mid left. Yes we probably will see a lot of hoof ball but I think that's the way we will stay up. Our Midfield and wing backs are limited football wise so what else can we do. This is all under the assumption we aren't going to sign quality players in jan.

He's a loan and he's only here as cover. He may never get a game.

However, he certainly knows what Lambert expects. I suspect his biggest influence will come on the training pitch where he can help the likes of Helenius, Wieman and even Bowery.

• Like 1

ppl going on about the hoof ball all the time.

last night if the ball was hoofed arsenal wouldn't have got the second goal.

other than guzan there wasn't much hoofing. villa did some pretty good football second half.

holts shown hes good at holding the ball up, laying off and assisting and scoring.

i'm sure he will be good for the young lads on the pitch and in training.

he left Norwich cos Houghtons tactics were too defensive

Hopefully he can show benteke how to rough up defenders

Blimey, it wasn't so long ago he was being labelled as the " Beast"

reputations don't last long, do they?

Â