Grant Holt

samjp26

Each day I get out of bed determined to be optimistic about all things AVFC …. Randy Lerner seems equally determined to try my patience and dent my optimism. Cut me some slack Randy, bring a smile to my face once in a while! It's not too much to ask is it?

I was thinking the other day that this whole Holt episode was reminding me of something way back in the cobwebbed section of what remains of my brain.. I've mulled over it a while and thought..... Hmm Ageing player...... Bulky Centre Forward............

Journeyman.......................Slow............ Sluggish........... Moaning fanbase........................She's got nice t***...oops back on topic........

What'd we buy him for murmurings.......Past it..........Etc .....Etc...

Then i thought  :excl: ...I remember the last time we had all this

His name was Peter Withe!

• Like 1

I was thinking the other day that this whole Holt episode was reminding me of something way back in the cobwebbed section of what remains of my brain.. I've mulled over it a while and thought..... Hmm Ageing player...... Bulky Centre Forward............

Journeyman.......................Slow............ Sluggish........... Moaning fanbase........................She's got nice t***...oops back on topic........

Er How old was Withe when he signed for us?

Er How old was Withe when he signed for us?

29 wasn't he?

Adding to that, while this doesn't exactly set any pulses racing, at least Holt has been successful playing for Lambert (even in the Premier League) in the past. If he can rediscover that form in a comfortable situation, he'll end up being useful.

In fact, I'd offer up this signing as a metaphor for our current season (though in a different way than many would, I accept): not exciting, but ultimately decent. I'd have taken a boring, mid-table finish at the beginning of this season, and while saying that in foresight is different from enjoying it in its materialization, that appears to me to be just what we're getting.

I think he was around 30 or just about to hit it if i remember correclty ... But still similar in many ways.... Don't get me wrong i am in no way saying Holt is another Peter Withe, He's only a short term loan for starters but now he's here you never know he may just add an ingredient we've been lacking maybe.

thinking same thing yesterday, can imagine what VT would be like back then with that announcement :D

Please let him finish top scorer, please. The backtracking/revisionism would be more delicious than the ambrosia of the gods. 

I would like him to be top scorer as it would mean that he'd have been a success. And that will be good for Aston Villa.

The fact that you state you'd like this to happen for other reasons. Well that's not much of a surprise.

Edited by Pilchard

Please let him finish top scorer, please. The backtracking/revisionism would be more delicious than the ambrosia of the gods. 

I would like him to be top scorer as it would mean that he'd have been a success. And that will be good for Aston Villa.

The fact that you state you'd like this to happen for other reasons. Well that's not much of a surprise.

Why judge a player before he's even played a game for us, is what the poster is trying to get at i assume. 

Can't we all just... get along?  :(

It's extremely hard to when certain posters are continuously negative. Yes, Holt doesn't look like the most inspiring signing ever, but why cant people allow him to play a few games for the club before getting on his back. 

Can't we all just... get along?  :(

It's extremely hard to when certain posters are continuously negative. Yes, Holt doesn't look like the most inspiring signing ever, but why cant people allow him to play a few games for the club before getting on his back. 

People like to give their opinions, it's sort of what the place is for.

It will be no surprise to me that when Holt does play, finds himself in the right position at the right time and scores a tap in which even the ordinary layman on the street might score, his signing will be vindicated and deemed a master stroke by Lambert.

"Finds himself in the right position at the right time" being a terrible trait for a goalscorer.

Why do you even bother supporting Villa, by the way?

Probably the same reason you do.

He'll probably do a Heskey/Zat Knight, and get one on his debut, which will fool people into thinking it's a great piece of business, before being utterly shite for the rest of the season.

He'll probably do a Robbie Keane, and be average on his debut, which will fool people into thinking it's a terrible piece of business, before being perfectly decent for the rest of the season.

Blind speculation is fun

Â