Grant Holt

samjp26

It's not even about Benteke learning from Holt.

Lambert likes playing with a target man, our backup target man has a broken leg.  Holt is a cheap alternative to bring in for 5 months.

Furthermore, Lambert has worked with Holt and knows his strengths and how he likes to play etc.

Guidetti is an unexperienced risk.

Academy players are unexperienced risks.

There are probably no other suitable players to draft in for such a short term period that won't cost over £20k a week.

Grant Holt is not an exceptional footballer, but we're not **** signing him permanently.  Really can't see the problem with this.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

At the end of last season (And the beginning of this one), the opposition really stepped up their intensity in targeting Benteke,

The Chelsea game at Home was the best example of this I feel and he got sent off.

And as I say there's been a few games where he's had to face antagonism and it has gotten to him, especially this season (I know injury and lack of confidence have also contributed to this, although the latter can be tied to the abuse he's received)

I know Benteke can deal with the opposition in the physical battle, linked to the mental side, but that's also resulted in a few fouls given against him.

It seems one of Grant Holt's strengths lies in dealing with bullying tactics, keeping calm and dishing out some of his own whilst winning a fair number of fouls.

Agbonlahor is also good at the wind-up game and although I can only compare the vast amount I've seen Gabby play and the little I've seen Holt play, Holt does seem to be a bit brighter in this respect.

Grant Holt is nowhere near as good as Benteke in regards to his technical ability but in terms of getting one up in the psychological battle between attacker and defender, I do think Holt could help Benteke with some advice.

• Like 1

Welcome to the finest club in the world, mr. Holt. Hope you can surprise almost all of us. In a positive way.

Let's get behind him now he's here. He hasn't done anything wrong, really.

• Like 2

If he wasn't 33 and struggling in the championship I might buy into the argument.

It is a short term loan deal for goodness' sake. Ungrateful people, tut tut.
Ungrateful? What a load of shit. Why should I be grateful of yet another season of watching shit football.
Getting boring now BJ.....on his day Holt is a handful and can be a nasty fecker, if 10% of that rubs off on Benteke it's worth the loan fee in itself

Likewise the happy clap, blind faith bores me and others just as much as negativity bores you.

It will be no surprise to me that when Holt does play, finds himself in the right position at the right time and scores a tap in which even the ordinary layman on the street might score, his signing will be vindicated and deemed a master stroke by Lambert.

I'm actually genuinely intrigued to see how someone who's over thirty does in the squad. I sometimes forget how young the side is for some reason.

indeed, if I'm not mistaken he'll be the first player for us this season in his 30s!

It will be no surprise to me that when Holt does play, finds himself in the right position at the right time and scores a tap in which even the ordinary layman on the street might score, his signing will be vindicated and deemed a master stroke by Lambert.

"Finds himself in the right position at the right time" being a terrible trait for a goalscorer.

Why do you even bother supporting Villa, by the way?

Or when benteke scores a hat trick and its because of what holt taught him.

I'd say if he scores a single 3-point winning goal he'd be a huge success.

I think that this is a little too generous, but he won't have to do much to be considered a worthwhile loan. A few goals and a couple of match winners will be enough for me.

Whether he has it in him is another thing, but we can only wait and see. I wasn't happy with the signing initially but I've got over it. I could use this signing as stick to beat a manager who I don't like all that much with, but meh!

If nothing else, Grant Hart walking into our dressing room with his two years premiership experience will earn him respect.

His fellow pros will look up to him as a leader, due this unequaled top level experience, his winners medals and of course his ability to keep himself at peak level fitness even at 32.

He's a proper role model and has done so much in the game it's hard not to be awed by his mere presence.

Or maybe they'll just think 'what the **** is this signing all about' like the rest of us.

It's not even about Benteke learning from Holt.

Lambert likes playing with a target man, our backup target man has a broken leg.  Holt is a cheap alternative to bring in for 5 months.

Furthermore, Lambert has worked with Holt and knows his strengths and how he likes to play etc.

Guidetti is an unexperienced risk.

Academy players are unexperienced risks.

There are probably no other suitable players to draft in for such a short term period that won't cost over £20k a week.

Grant Holt is not an exceptional footballer, but we're not **** signing him permanently.  Really can't see the problem with this.

I think this is a very fair assessment of the situation. I've not been a big fan of PL's transfer policy overall, but this seems like a very smart move.

One more point - SURELY there are better options even for a loan??

Guidetti smacked 20-odd goals for feyenoord and stoke have just taken him on loan. That's a gamble worth taking - Young, fit again and looking to prove something.

That is the sort of loan we should be looking for

So now we are OK with signing young inexperienced players instead? Forgive me for thinking that for the past 3 months fans have done nothing but moan about wanting experience.

Â