Ashley Young

maqroll

23 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

It’s funny when in the championship years we went for experience in jedinak and whelan it was lauded at the time but in actuality that’s all they had, experience. They won nothing. They had experience of been in average teams and average dressing rooms. Young has won leagues. Shared dressing room with the worlds elite, up to last season! Imagine the standards a guy like this sets every day at training. You’d get away with nothing.

That actually made me laugh, as it's true. To be fair, Stoke in their pomp were still comfortably a step up from where we were at the time which shows how far we had fallen.

43 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

It’s funny when in the championship years we went for experience in jedinak and whelan it was lauded at the time but in actuality that’s all they had, experience. They won nothing. They had experience of been in average teams and average dressing rooms. Young has won leagues. Shared dressing room with the worlds elite, up to last season! Imagine the standards a guy like this sets every day at training. You’d get away with nothing.

He was heckling Jack in the training videos in London too wasn't he?  Not sure many others would have gone there.  I'd be interested to see if wing backs with Ings and Watkins up front would work with Ash and Cash on the wings if Bailey and Traore are out for longer.

50 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He was heckling Jack in the training videos in London too wasn't he?  Not sure many others would have gone there.  I'd be interested to see if wing backs with Ings and Watkins up front would work with Ash and Cash on the wings if Bailey and Traore are out for longer.

Ash, Cash, Mings, Ings, Chuk, Chuk, Ramsey and Ramsey?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Thought he did fairly well. But sloppy on the ball at times and we lose something from an attacking point without Target.  

I'm not sure I'd be starting him over Target much in the future.

Agree to a point.

A Targett in full form, at his best, starts.

Until then, Ash all day.

As others have stated, you can really see his experience is how he plays.

His size doesn't hinder him at all, due to the experience and intelligence 

He's still fit pedigree.

• Like 1

Impressive yesterday. Amazing that he can put in a performance like that at his age. 

Targett could learn a lot off Young. Most importantly, how to look after your body! I really like Targett but was disappointed at how he looked versus Watford. Completely unfit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think you two need to look again at Ashley Young. He's just schooled Ismaïla Sarr and St Maxim playing at left back. 

Where as Targett was literally embarrassed by Sarr. 

I think he did well today but do I really want to see a 36 year old right footed winger at left back a lot of the season. I don't.

I think it's very unbalanced and we lacked a lot of creativity and width in the final 3rd today. It's a new team with injuries and unfamiliarity so will come but I don't think he's going to be a good fit.

Targett for me should still be the man.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, May-Z said:

Played the wily old shithouse role pefectly today.

Haha top description. 

Loved his mentality yesterday, all those years experience and still has the physicality of someone younger. Great for this season, can see him staying on in some capacity. 

Couldn't help but giggle when watching Ashley standing over that Newcastle player who threw himself down in the box.

I'm not that old that I can't remember your dive against Ciaran Clark that got you a win against us for ManUre.

Pot, kettle and all that.

I get a great feeling of nostalgia seeing Ash back in a Villa shirt.

Despite his age he is proving that he is capble of playing a lot of football this season and being a very reliable addition to the squad. 

Great business bringing him back.

• Like 2

I know it's only been two games but Ash is looking a great bit of business. Someone with his experience that can cover LB/ RB and midfield is invaluable. But he's not cover. He's starting and performing well. 

52 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think he did well today but do I really want to see a 36 year old right footed winger at left back a lot of the season. I don't.

I think it's very unbalanced and we lacked a lot of creativity and width in the final 3rd today. It's a new team with injuries and unfamiliarity so will come but I don't think he's going to be a good fit.

I think I've identified your problem. He's not a winger, he's a left back and he's been a left back for years just over a month ago winning a top quality championship at left back. 

It would be like complaining about us playing a centre back in Dion Dublin as a striker. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Couldn't help but giggle when watching Ashley standing over that Newcastle player who threw himself down in the box.

I'm not that old that I can't remember your dive against Ciaran Clark that got you a win against us for ManUre.

Pot, kettle and all that.

Young, obviously is the much better diver since his won a penalty. That was a sh*t dive by the Newcastle player and Young was letting him know as much. Also, maybe he slipped a couple of pointers in as well 😉

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

it's in the club's best interest for Targett to secure the regular starting role. Young is an excellent utility option, and he's already proving his value in that regard.

• Like 1

Â