Ashley Young

maqroll

I

Ash was always a really skinny weak player . .He will have had to work really hard to pack muscle on and gain strength. Of course he will not have the raw pace that youth brings but i think he will be alot quicker than we think he will be. He is 36 going on 21 in terms of build and that will help him next season  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

I think left back is more his bag these days though, might be a sign that we might try 3 at the back with wing backs. He still performed at a good level over here so I think he'll have something to offer still. If we think that what is coming through from the academy needs a year or two to be fully ready to step up then this makes sense to me.

Do we even have 3 CBs? 😁

• Haha 1

To anyone concerned about us signing a "36 year old"; this is no ordinary 36 year old, as @TROsaid. This is not like the days when we bought Joe Cole etc. This is a serial winner with a top attitude and drive to keep being the best he can be. A player who has by all accounts done very well at Inter, in an Antonio Conte team. This is a coach who puts heavy emphasis on his full backs getting up and down the pitch and demands that anyone who plays for him has to be in top condition.

If you haven't already, try watching his interview on the club site and tell me if you think he's just here for one last pay day. Also look at the Inter fans reactions to him leaving online. I've seen nothing but praise from them.

Also, not every signing has to be a mega statement of intent, a la Buendia. Maybe by using Young to replace Taylor and Elmo (on less wages) will free up extra cash for us to spend big on a couple more players. Why spend £20m on a backup fullback who will have a hard time breaking past our current ones.

Sometimes age is just a number.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Sometimes age is just a number.

& sometimes that number gets a bit high... (I should know);)

image.jpeg.a87de091eb03b5fdace1f263c988492d.jpeg

Despite that, I wish Ashley well on his return, hopefully he can defy the years and show us some of what we took such pleasure in seeing from him all those years ago.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2012 at 10:18, Jarpie said:

He was very good last season for Manure but after the injuries he has either regressed or not yet completely match fit and/or just not in form. Young was never the most versatile player though and that's why he never won't be more than good winger - winger who can adjust and change his game can step up to the next level. I think he will struggle in tactics which don't have wide-wingers (like what Villa and some other teams are playing), we saw how poorly he played in "Number 10" role under Houllier.

I can see him getting down in pecking order if Fergie buys another winger/attacking mid, which he probably will.

Ironic that he's now returned specifically because of his versatility.

It looks like overall, fan opinion of him has changed over the years.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Nobody can be certain with any transfer.....look how we managed Macca's dodgy knees.

we will have to wait and see, but if NSWE can cover Ashley's wages, who are we to worry?

I see him playing sparingly.

Your right no one can know for certain, but you can minimise the risk.

I agree, he hasn’t been bought to play 10-20 games this season, but in a worst case scenario, he was required to cover Targett for 6-10 games or more, could Young handle that week in week out? I’m not so sure.

3 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I agree, he hasn’t been bought to play 10-20 games this season, but in a worst case scenario, he was required to cover Targett for 6-10 games or more, could Young handle that week in week out? I’m not so sure.

Honestly? Yeah, I’m absolutely sure he could.

8 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I have no doubt he could.

Also I think he's brought in to challenge for the starting places and wouldn't be surprised if he manages to cement it for some time next season.

I'm pretty much pro Young now but playing devils advocate. I think people are confusing being fit getting up and down the pitch with people saying he hasn't got the legs as in being as quick as he was. Like watching Mat Hummels run in slow motion. I've seen 50/60 year olds running marathons etc but there's a difference in time and pace to younger runners. That's the biggest concern. 

10 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I have no doubt he could.

Also I think he's brought in to challenge for the starting places and wouldn't be surprised if he manages to cement it for some time next season.

Yeah sorry, dont see him starting over Targett when fit.

Delighted with this. 

We needed some experience; we needed some cover at LB; we need some quality in dead ball situations; we have an injured Trez.
For £0 fee and a salary probably around that of the departed Elmo and Taylor - we're sorted. And it means our bench can be more flexible given the number of positions he cover cover.

Yes he's 35 - but he doesn't look like a Rooney sort of 35 last season.
The fact that Inter (champions in Italy and in the Champions League) wanted him to stay shows he still has something to offer, so he will do as cover for a team that finished 11th - albeit with aspirations of much more.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Who has had the better career post Villa- Milner or Young?

I would probably say Milner just about.

Close one, Milner's 3 prem titles, FA cup and CL just about covers Young's 1 prem title, 1 Scudetto, FA Cup and Europa League. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â