Ashley Young

maqroll

I'm a bit slow to the ball here and haven't read all pages in this thread. This happened quite quickly, didn't even have time to reflect on what I thought of it before it was done. A bit of a surprise at first, but when I think of it it makes a lot of sense. We want Cash and Targett to be our first choice full backs, we want our young promising players like Kessler to get a chance sooner rather than later and we need quality back up to our full backs now when Elmo and Taylor has left. Young can for one season be a quality back up to both Targett and Cash and he wont hinder the development of our younger playes. Had we splashed money one someone else then we would have restricted the possibilities for the younger players for years to come, had it been someone as good as Targett and Cash then we could have caused a bit of a disruption as to who would be first choice. Now they are undisputed first choice, we have a quality back up, and we are not hindering our academy players. On top of that we get some more experience in the team.

So all in all, seems to be a shrewd move that I am very happy with! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but to take those set pieces he has to be on the pitch. Who would you drop for him, unless they were injured or suspended? 

We need to rotate every now and then, I'd definitely give a try for him as a LW, while Jack as number 10. I think he's better than El Ghazi at the moment. He can be a cover for full backs. I think this signing is very brilliant. If we win something this season, then he'll be up there in the club history. If he does well, he'll erase a lot of those memories that people are thinking. I think it's a win-win situation for all parties.

We don't have to play the same nor the same players against City, or Watford for example. Every game should have it's own plan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Stunned. Absolutely stunned by some of the ridiculous comments in here. 

Brave new world isn't it? Then again we've got diehard Leeds fans on here posting a couple hundred posts per day too, so can't say I'm all that surprised anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, but to take those set pieces he has to be on the pitch. Who would you drop for him, unless they were injured or suspended? 

Does that not depend on how he performs vs his team mates? If he earns the shirt, he’s probably doing something right. 

25 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Don’t be a troll.

Don't be so vehemently wrong about transfer rumours in future and you'll have absolutely nothing to worry about champ 👍

Have a look at the lowering age and experience in our squad now that Heaton, El Mohamady and Taylor have gone. All three of these players were evidently great with our young players.

Ash still has enough to offer this season individually as a player, plus his input in the dressing room and with our outstanding young prospects will be invaluable, He has played at a level that these young guys aspire to reach for many years.

Welcome back Ash, I've missed you.

• Like 1

A dressing room signing as much as on field. Looked after himself and played a significant amount in a league champion team last season, including all their champions league games, this is more than just an Elmo/Taylor substitute. 

Not sure how he will be used but his versatility, experience, athleticism, professionalism and prior legacy will undoubtedly be a positive. Great stuff.

• Like 2

Â