Ashley Young

maqroll

21 minutes ago, Enda said:

Don't be so vehemently wrong about transfer rumours in future and you'll have absolutely nothing to worry about champ 👍

Yeah ok champ. What was I thinking when the club said it was looking to buy young hungry players with resale value and not get caught with old players past their prime on big wages???? Oh yeah that’s right, believe a rumour about a 36 yo past player has been looking for one final pay check… yeah your right!!!

Still doesn’t take away from you being a troll and having no idea yourself until it was announced. By the way can you tell me what the lotto numbers are this week, oh that’s right you only find courage after the result…

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Yeah ok champ. What was I thinking when the club said it was looking to buy young hungry players with resale value and not get caught with old players past their prime on big wages???? Oh yeah that’s right, believe a rumour about a 36 yo past player has been looking for one final pay check… yeah your right!!!

Still doesn’t take away from you being a troll and having no idea yourself until it was announced. By the way can you tell me what the lotto numbers are this week, oh that’s right you only find courage after the result…

We have literally 1 player over the age of 30 in our team this season.

Last season we had 3.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, birdman said:

Paid good money for him too! Wasn't it around 10m?

Yeah. Incredible value when you think how vital he was to us back then. That winner at Everton is still one of my favourite moments watching Villa.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Will be interesting to see if he has improved his set pieces. My memories of him was he always demanded to take set pieces but rarely did anything good with them. But it was a long time ago so maybe my memory is wrong.

Pretty sure he assisted a lot of Laursens goals in that time, we were a set piece team under MON and was mainly him or Barry on them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Squad had 3 senior fullbacks but I agree with your general points. 

For me if we need defence we can out on guilbert if we need attack, Young. Although young is typically a LB and guilbert a rb. They have both played a fair number of games on the other side

Of the pitch to the point it isn't outrageous. For us to play one for each circumstance. 

Ooft, I'd completely forgotten about Guilbert!  Poor Freddie. 😅

On 17/06/2021 at 12:39, RicRic said:

I always look for your opinion and im glad it was this one as i see this as a sensible signing for a player who has shown he's just as fit as a 25 yrd old and can cover several positions,

Brings experience and just come off a league title win with Inter, knows the club albeit a lot has changed since that time.. but Ashley Young has a great attitude which will work well, definitely good piece of business, future signings will be more younger with potential and longevity in other areas in the team such as central Midfield and forward areas. But its a thumbs up from me 👍🏽  

Thanks, you're very kind.....IMO he is not just any old 35/6 year old, he looks as fit as a butchers dog and his pedigree is extraordinary.

He will be a one off for us......but what a one off.....for 12 months he can fill 4 possible positions to give Dean Options and his age can be managed too.

He will be great to have around BMH, for the kids to listen to, too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think it would be part of the general model.  Have a young group of players of around 20-30 players (first team and quality in younger teams) and then a handful of older players for various reasons.  I think there needs to be a balance, it cant all be young and so our model is 90% young and the rest older players.  A pure 100% youngsters would seem too far.  Somebody like Young whose been around the block, is free, and I assume his wages wont be stupid will benefit the younger players.  I think this would be part of the general model.

its down to interpretation Nick....I see the general model as the 90% younger players and the 10% older ones as the exception but hey ho.

Edited by TRO

They say never go back. But I say why the **** not

Ashley Young was great for Villa. I don't remember bedrudging him his departure. He went off and signed for Man Utd, won plenty, then moved to Inter Milan and won Serie A. He's 36 next month, and hasn't once turned his head towards the nonsense leagues like many of others with his pedigree and vintage. He likes playing football at a high level, and is a born winner.

I think it's a great buy and I'm delighted he has come back. Him celebrating in unison with Martin Laursen is such a great Villa memory. Him and Carew together was just great. I know he's not expected to be a starter necessarily, but what if it's him and Bertrand Traore rotating in a front 4 of Grealish, Traore/Young, Buendia and Watkins. 

It's fun, nostalgic, exciting, interesting. And I'm very looking forward to seeing how it goes

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Looking at his defensive stats and Inter Milan highlights he's signed as wing cover no way fullback cover 

but he can do either.....thats the essence of it.

It gives Dean options for 12 months, without eating in to transfer money, lined up for younger targets......and at the same time waiting for our kids to mature.

• Like 3

Not making any point. But don’t see a well thought out methodology why we need a 36 yo player either. All I have seen is some revisionist history about the player in his previous time at the club and others cherry picking stats to support their narrative on the signing.

My contention is the club said they wouldn’t be making these type of signings moving forward, hence why I made the comments I did at the time when the rumour surfaced, as many others on this forum have made over  similar players. Yet they have.

I support the club they’ve made the signing for a reason, I get it.

Just not going to cop anonymous trolls trying to be smart after the fact.

• Like 2

Just now, QldVilla said:

Not making any point. But don’t see a well thought out methodology why we need a 36 yo player either. All I have seen is some revisionist history about the player in his previous time at the club and others cherry picking stats to support their narrative on the signing.

My contention is the club said they wouldn’t be making these type of signings moving forward, hence why I made the comments I did at the time when the rumour surfaced, as many others on this forum have made over  similar players. Yet they have.

I support the club they’ve made the signing for a reason, I get it.

Just not going to cop anonymous trolls trying to be smart after the fact.

In general, I share your view and feel that the nostalgia factor has taken over more than anything here. There’s only been a few posters who’ve actually mentioned the point and benefit to signing him and that’s fair enough. Would be nice to get more of a detailed analysis and fairer/balanced judgement though… (can’t see him contributing much defensively but decent cover for the wings in the very short term).

He’s signed now so let’s just accept it and move on, no point in arguing - why do we resort to that so much here? Don’t we all support the same team? Sometimes it feels like people aren’t allowed to have a different POV or opinion without being berated for it… people usually get angry/upset if you don’t agree with them or you get mocked for it… We should be better than that & could do with being a lot calmer, for all our sakes!

Does everyone have to jump on the same bandwagon?

Our business is far from completed and we can all look forward to an exciting season with a hell of a lot of optimism & enthusiasm.

• Like 3

Â