Ashley Young

maqroll

Welcome back Ashley.

Shrewd signing imo. He’s a winner and will provide an experienced voice in the dressing room.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

You know what assume is?

36 is old for an out field football player, my point was he is exceptional, for such an age.

No, I am happy as my earlier posts have suggested.

You on Fernando two weeks ago:

"just too old, now@ 36....there, something else to get your teeth in to.

We've been down that road and learnt our lesson.....listen to Mr Purslow."

So Fernando isn't exceptional for such an age and I no longer need to be told to listen to Mr Purslow.

FWIW and as my post in this thread shows, I was all for this singing before it happened. I think we can add one or two experienced heads who are still playing at a top level given the players we're losing this summer. Happy to welcome you over to this line of thinking though.

5 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

You on Fernando two weeks ago:

"just too old, now@ 36....there, something else to get your teeth in to.

We've been down that road and learnt our lesson.....listen to Mr Purslow."

So Fernando isn't exceptional for such an age and I no longer need to be told to listen to Mr Purslow.

FWIW and as my post in this thread shows, I was all for this singing before it happened. I think we can add one or two experienced heads who are still playing at a top level given the players we're losing this summer. Happy to welcome you over to this line of thinking though.

I am happy with Ash, not Fernandinho....I see a difference, even if you don't....Mr Purslows policy is still intact.

what connection has Fernandinho with us?

the odd one ,yes......not a line of thinking, no.....don't be so quick to claim the high ground...each signing has its own identity, you are trying to mix specifics with generalisations and seek out examples to claim that.....relax its only opinions.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What was his song. I can't even remember. 

Who’s that running down the left and right, is it Shaun Wright Phillips no he’s shite, it isn’t Aaron Lennon, someone better tellem, it’s Ashley Young he’s **** dynamite 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Who’s that running down the left and right, is it Shaun Wright Phillips no he’s shite, it isn’t Aaron Lennon, someone better tellem, it’s Ashley Young he’s **** dynamite 

Oh yeah.  Not going to work is it, haven't they both retired? 

All true though. 

36 minutes ago, chappy said:

Aye aye Ashley

Aye aye Ashley

Aye aye Ashley

Ashley Young

Nah, I remember the Aaron Lennon song. Don't remember singing that. 

Youngs wage at inter was reportedly anything from £50k pw to £120k pw.

Also reportedly turned down £1.7 million per year at Watford so I guess it's safe to say we offered £2 million per year.

Under £40k pw with no fee and I can't see a signing on fee being offered at his age on a 1 year deal.

As elmo will have been on 35k pw ( his wages would have been simular to hulls who were in the Premier league when he signed) Taylor would have also been on similar as would Engels.

40k pw for a season while we continue to target longer term replacements while also buying higher quality players for 2 or 3 positions each year for a couple more years seems common sense and will allow us to spend where it is needed each year while keeping a short contract.

I can see this being a 2 or 3 year tactic, if a suitable player becomes free, while we gradually improve as a team squad which should also improve our marketability and the affordability/ self generating model our owners want us to become.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Does anyone think he might have the capability to play as a deep lying playmaker?

I think he's possibly a bit too old to be sticking him in a new position.

I've thought that he could be a Pirlo type player for us, maybe not necessarily play him as the deepest midfielder, but he could probably do a job in the midfield when we need to keep hold of the ball to help us see out a game.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

I think he's possibly a bit too old to be sticking him in a new position.

I'd have thought it would be the opposite way around, at least in real life? Plenty of footballers have transitioned into different positions in later life, we've even seen it here with Dion Dublin reinventing himself as a centre half. Rooney and Beckham as centre mids. It makes sense, if you have spent your entire career training and playing with some of the best footballers around you would imagine you would learn a thing or two along the way.  

I'm not saying it would happen, only pondering whether he has the skillset for it. We know he's technically very good, he must still have that engine to play for Conte, and he has learnt a fair bit about the defensive side of the game over the past 4/5 years. 

• Like 1

I cannot remember Young having and major traumatic injuries or niggling ones during his career and has looked after himself well. At 35 which is insignificant to me due to winning Serie A plus trophies galore @ manure. He is the perfect role model and inspiration for Carney & Philogene-Bidace, Barry and even Jack to learn from his experience & knowledge. Have good vibes he will have a positive influence on the team and training pitch. 

And talking about age I slightly digress … I think we will see players continuing their level elite careers for longer if they can stay (major) injury free and look after themselves right from a young age. Continual developments in training regimes, injury treatment/prevention and recovery.Some of the GOATS like Federer, Brady, LeBron, Zlatan, are still going strong in the twilight of their careers at almost/above 40. My point is age will become less of a thing and we will see more players keeping performances at an elite standard up to 38-39… When will Zlatan end..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

I cannot remember Young having and major traumatic injuries or niggling ones during his career and has looked after himself well. At 35 which is insignificant to me due to winning Serie A plus trophies galore @ manure. He is the perfect role model and inspiration for Carney & Philogene-Bidace, Barry and even Jack to learn from his experience & knowledge. Have good vibes he will have a positive influence on the team and training pitch. 

And talking about age I slightly digress … I think we will see players continuing their level elite careers for longer if they can stay (major) injury free and look after themselves right from a young age. Continual developments in training regimes, injury treatment/prevention and recovery.Some of the GOATS like Federer, Brady, LeBron, Zlatan, are still going strong in the twilight of their careers at almost/above 40. My point is age will become less of a thing and we will see more players keeping performances at an elite standard up to 38-39… When will Zlatan end..

I think identifying older players who still have a few years left in the locker has become another "moneyball" thing. (And actually thinking back, do you remember how many people thought Brad Friedel was spent when he left Blackburn? He had another 7 seasons in the PL!)

Men in their 20s can live pretty recklessly and still stay fit + healthy. But as you hit your 30s, the interest payments kick in. I think that's what did for Rooney, and I imagine John McGinn will suffer the same fate. It's the lads who like to spend the summer getting pissed and eating kebabs who tend to burn out a bit earlier.

Obviously it's more complicated than that because there's luck with injuries, and playing style comes into it too. If someone's game relies on pace/acceleration, then it's much harder to stay relevant late into their 30s. If their game is more technical/mental, they can do it for ages (e.g. Teddy Sheringham).

Even then, a lot of players who we think of as "technical" players are more dependent on that yard of pace than maybe we realise. So some of it is just genetics and how long they hold on to that little surge of pace that footballers need.

The evidence seems to be that Ashley Young has looked after himself, has never had a serious injury, doesn't have a game that's particularly reliant on pace, and has held on to a lot of the pace he did have.

Crazy to think he's older than Gabby, but that's the interest payments kicking in.

• Like 4

I'm all for this signing. The ability is there and so are the mental attributes (unlike barkley). It seems like his fitness levels are still good and he can play on both sides both as a full back and as a winger. 

He might not have it in him to start 38 games, but we don't need him to. Even having him as a player to bring on when chasing a match can be a big bonus. 

And he can probably take a set piece better than most in our squad.

Welcome back! 

On 18/06/2021 at 18:17, AVTuco said:

If his presense makes Targett lose 10 pounds, it's worth it.

Why would you want Targett to lose the muscle he put on last pre-season? Surely it is exactly why he has become so durable and physically dominant? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why would you want Targett to lose the muscle he put on last pre-season? Surely it is exactly why he has become so durable and physically dominant? 

Tbf Targett doesn't look like a peak physical specimen. He got a lot stronger but he still looks a bit doughy. That might just be his body type but I imagine he could still lose some fat. 

Â