Ashley Young

maqroll

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

In general, I share your view and feel that the nostalgia factor has taken over more than anything here. There’s only been a few posters who’ve actually mentioned the point and benefit to signing him and that’s fair enough. Would be nice to get more of a detailed analysis and fairer/balanced judgement though… (can’t see him contributing much defensively but decent cover for the wings in the very short term).

He’s signed now so let’s just accept it and move on, no point in arguing - why do we resort to that so much here? Don’t we all support the same team? Sometimes it feels like people aren’t allowed to have a different POV or opinion without being berated for it… people usually get angry/upset if you don’t agree with them or you get mocked for it… We should be better than that & could do with being a lot calmer, for all our sakes!

Does everyone have to jump on the same bandwagon?

Our business is far from completed and we can all look forward to an exciting season with a hell of a lot of optimism & enthusiasm.

Jas, its a 12 month deal with a 1 year option.....its almost like a loan deal.....no fee to eat in to our budget.

I'm not sure, what there is to not like.....Its not like we are changing our policy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

He's a great pro and part of me thinks he'll actually make match day selection a bit tricky for Smith at times such is the way he applies himself and works. I think Young is deadly serious if he believes he can get into the team. He could easily of ( plethora of offers no doubt ) sailed off into the MLS sunset.

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

After some of Barkley's performances last season I can't see a 36 year old Young being even remotely as lethargic and lazy

I'd be surprised if Barkley is playing premier league football at 30.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Looking at his defensive stats and Inter Milan highlights he's signed as wing cover no way fullback cover 

His defensive stats took a dive for inter but they were decent in 19/20 for united. And excellent the year before that. I'm slightly concerned by them myself. But if we are signing him as an attacking full back backup for games we dominate it obviously makes sense. Like guilbert can play in games where we expect to receive more resistance but if we are playing your burnleys, your Watfords, your Norwichs his delivery will be super useful. Plus you can use him as a sub to chance the formation of we wanted as well.

If you go by per 90. Its like 1 tackle and 0.3 interceptions which whilst obviously subpar is more of a symptom of Contes team than any flaw of youngs game.

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think he is any old 36 year old player.....all the vibes make sense to me, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I will be surprised if the club, sign another one, unless it was Ronaldo/Messi for 12 months.....This chap has just performed well in a team who has won serie A......He is no ordinary 36 year old.

I think more significantly, Inter wanted him to stay too.

My concern is we may have to play him regularly in that LB position which I don’t think he has the legs for. 

The Italian league is different it is known to lengthen players careers for a reason.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

My concern is we may have to play him regularly in that LB position which I don’t think he has the legs for. 

The Italian league is different it is known to lengthen players careers for a reason.

According to him, Antonio Conte is a very demanding manager, and his fitness levels are peak for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think he is any old 36 year old player.....all the vibes make sense to me, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I will be surprised if the club, sign another one, unless it was Ronaldo/Messi for 12 months.....This chap has just performed well in a team who has won serie A......He is no ordinary 36 year old.

I think more significantly, Inter wanted him to stay too.

That man brings knowledge with him, in his time since Villa he's captained Man u and been fantastic at Inter.

He's been around the block and I don't think Young was ever sold on because he wasn't wanted or because played bad and fell off the radar. More so that money was made off of him i think, Villa had no choice to sell and Man u had chance to capitalise and bully him from us, they then sold on for profit to Inter.

I think on a Free Transfer, he will bring alot, more than what people think he will inways we are not even thinking about because we are not behind those scenes where Ashley will be working.

Time will tellanyway whether he was worth it or not..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

According to him, Antonio Conte is a very demanding manager, and his fitness levels are peak for it.

Peak for the Italian league? Probably is.  
But is his peak as a 35 yr old the same when he was 30? No. Are the physical demands of the the PL higher than the Italian first division, absolutely.

Have to admit, very surprised by this on a few different levels.

However, 12 months stop gap.

Maybe we’ve identified someone that we want, but isn’t realistically available until next season?

Excellent delivery, so set pieces should improve.  Covers a lot of different positions.

Provides a different set of attributes to AEG.  Much more likely to be better involved with intricate gameplay, a lot less direct.  

I suppose on the face of it, it’s a ‘no-brainier’.  A little disappointing not because it’s him, more that this clearly means that he is ‘the’ winger for this summer.  But if that’s to let us get target A or B next year rather than target C or D this year, then it makes perfect sense. Even at 36 he’s clearly good enough for inter minutes.  And let’s face it, they’re better than us.

Welcome home Ashley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like that the club has this clear strategy to buy young and hungry (Cash, Watkins, etc.) and I like they’re not so wedded to it that it blinds them to the odd bargain. Cavani is 34, remember.

Young gets a clean slate in my eyes. One year contract is a very low risk gamble. Not mad expensive and a definite upgrade on Neil Taylor. Good business.

Leaves whatever is left in the budget for other priority areas. Sign someone like Ward-Prouse (not him necessarily) and we’re much more rounded than we were last season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thug said:

Have to admit, very surprised by this on a few different levels.

However, 12 months stop gap.

Maybe we’ve identified someone that we want, but isn’t realistically available until next season?

Excellent delivery, so set pieces should improve.  Covers a lot of different positions.

Provides a different set of attributes to AEG.  Much more likely to be better involved with intricate gameplay, a lot less direct.  

I suppose on the face of it, it’s a ‘no-brainier’.  A little disappointing not because it’s him, more that this clearly means that he is ‘the’ winger for this summer.  But if that’s to let us get target A or B next year rather than target C or D this year, then it makes perfect sense. Even at 36 he’s clearly good enough for inter minutes.  And let’s face it, they’re better than us.

Welcome home Ashley.

I think left back is more his bag these days though, might be a sign that we might try 3 at the back with wing backs. He still performed at a good level over here so I think he'll have something to offer still. If we think that what is coming through from the academy needs a year or two to be fully ready to step up then this makes sense to me.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think left back is more his bag these days though,

He clearly more attack than defence at Inter in 352. Stats and highlights says as much. Can't see us going 352 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He clearly more attack than defence at Inter in 352. Stats and highlights says as much. Can't see us going 352 

Maybe with more options in the squad, differing formations will be considered. Smith strikes me as the type who would want to embed a new formation in preseason. 

Young will be utilized I think like he were back in the old days, LW second striker. However that doesn't mean he won't be placed anywhere else. The amazing thing with Young is he's got so much experience and has played in god knows how many positions that he will be valuable the coming season.

I have to be honest if Young can get moving straight away and show us the old him but with newer addition that he's picked up since leaving Villa, then the prem may just well be in for a shock.

You don't go play for the top clubs after Villa and keep on the rise for nothing, then we grab him where he's struggled for a bit of game time, i think were in for a heck of a treat.

42 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yep he was an attacking wing back/full back. 

Â