Ashley Young

maqroll

I don't see him displacing Targett, but he's a far more reliable back up than Taylor would have been, or Guilbert playing on the wrong side. Also there's plenty of players that look after themselves now and show age is just a number, if Conte wanted to keep him then he must be in top condition.

Due to his versatility it wouldn't surprise me to see him on the left at times this season, with Grealish as a 10 and Buendia on the right. He still has the quality on the ball to effect games from the wing, and would be much more of a threat in general play than El Ghazi has been, despite his frankly ludicrous goals return since December.

Edited by RichiBoi11

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

I wonder if Ashley is thinking of a career in management? Learn from Terry, Smith, et al about how to best make the transition. 

It wouldn't surprise me, if one of our strategies, is to have ex players and servants to the club, all around the place in different capacities. Wouldn't surprise me to see the likes of Elmo etc return as well.

Having people who have affinity and love for Villa all throughout the club, is great IMO.

• Like 2

For what it's worth to those who take the opinion of other teams' fans as absolute facts (👀), from what I can see from the replies to Inter's post wishing him well he's being met with pretty much universal positivity and credit.

11 hours ago, QldVilla said:

My concern is we may have to play him regularly in that LB position which I don’t think he has the legs for. 

The Italian league is different it is known to lengthen players careers for a reason.

why,

Matt Target was ever present last season.....Dean has an option to bring in his undoubted talent for strategic games, he will be used tactically.

you are entitled to feel concerned, but I am not sure why, because he will be used, sparingly.

Matt Target was ever present and Matty cash will have Freddie as cover.....I think now and again Ash will de drafted in as a winger......and much of the time, an ambassador and sounding board for the kids.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I don't see him displacing Targett, but he's a far more reliable back up than Taylor would have been, or Guilbert playing on the wrong side. Also there's plenty of players that look after themselves now and show age is just a number, if Conte wanted to keep him then he must be in top condition.

Due to his versatility it wouldn't surprise me to see him on the left at times this season, with Grealish as a 10 and Buendia on the right. He still has the quality on the ball to effect games from the wing, and would be much more of a threat in general play than El Ghazi has been, despite his frankly ludicrous goals return since December.

I think him and Guilbert will probably end up playing on both sides throughout the season if there is enough opportunity. I imagine we'll play guilbert if we think we will need more dirty work or young if we want a bit mroe creativity. Although guilbert got the same number of goals and assists as him in fewer minutes this season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Anyone think he might play left wing for us? Honestly, right now, he starts there for me. 

I think he will, on the odd occasion, when Dean wants something from him.

Was just wondering... where do we think Young ranks within the squad for each position?

I’d argue Konsa is probably a better RB than him, so he’s probably third or fourth choice RB (depending on whether Guilbert stays).

LB he probably is second choice, although Guilbert and Hause aren’t bad options.

For the wide roles, I think he’s about level with AEG now at this stage of his career? 

Can’t see him playing through the middle, except in cup games.

Edit: the only role where I see him as a realistic first pick is if we play a back 3 and wing backs. Perhaps Smith wants this option up his sleeve, although he know how much he prefers a back 4 by now.

Edited by KentVillan

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

why,

Matt Target was ever present last season.....Dean has an option to bring in his undoubted talent for strategic games, he will be used tactically.

you are entitled to feel concerned, but I am not sure why, because he will be used, sparingly.

Matt Target was ever present and Matty cash will have Freddie as cover.....I think now and again Ash will de drafted in as a winger......and much of the time, an ambassador and sounding board for the kids.

He was and was one of the most consistent for us during the season, but doesn’t guarantee he will be available for every game next season. I don’t have an issue with the one off games, I said it earlier, I get it. But the elephant in the room is if there is a long term injury to Targett, will Young at 36 be up for short to medium run in the team in the PL? We’ve seen it with Elmo, he could put in the odd 1-2 game solid performance, but the performance fell away after that.

I was apprehensive about Barkley last season and I’m apprehensive about Young. Doesn’t mean I’m right, I’d prefer to be proven wrong, time will tell.

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

He was and was one of the most consistent for us during the season, but doesn’t guarantee he will be available for every game next season. I don’t have an issue with the one off games, I said it earlier, I get it. But the elephant in the room is if there is a long term injury to Targett, will Young at 36 be up for short to medium run in the team in the PL? We’ve seen it with Elmo, he could put in the odd 1-2 game solid performance, but the performance fell away after that.

I was apprehensive about Barkley last season and I’m apprehensive about Young. Doesn’t mean I’m right, I’d prefer to be proven wrong, time will tell.

No,No....I see your point.

but its about odds, the odds are more likely that if we had a younger player as cover, there would be other downsides i.e

• Not of a quality level
  • too expensive to be cover
  • Another long face, for not playing regularly enough
  • Gets in the way of young academy development.

Dean doesn't strike me as a manager comfortable in having a huge squad, he doesn't strike me as happy trying to keep a huge squad happy....hence is comment " I don't want to stock pile players"

We all know, we have to have adequate cover, but Dean seems to be at his best playing players, not having them hanging around....its a balancing act for sure.

Dean seems to have hit on a "very happy ship" formula....He is the best placed person to manage that.

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he will, on the odd occasion, when Dean wants something from him.

Nah don't see him ahead of El Ghazi tbh (and as things stand Grealish is obviously still starting there).

Think Young's role will be more coming on for last 10-15 minutes and use his experience to see out games we're winning by getting loads of free kicks in manner Petrov was expert at.

Would also imagine he'll start league cup games to get used to how we play and so we can rest Targett for weekend prem games.

Add in his incredible experience for some of the younger members of the squad to tap into and have no issue at all with this signing.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Nah don't see him ahead of El Ghazi tbh (and as things stand Grealish is obviously still starting there).

Think Young's role will be more coming on for last 10-15 minutes and use his experience to see out games we're winning by getting loads of free kicks in manner Petrov was expert at.

Would also imagine he'll start league cup games to get used to how we play and so we can rest Targett for weekend prem games.

Add in his incredible experience for some of the younger members of the squad to tap into and have no issue at all with this signing.

I think grealish will still start as CAM. And we need a LW still. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

why,

I reckon this will even open up the opportunity for us to deploy hybrid 3 - 5 - 2s at times as well.

I would assume that Young's role in league games will be primarily as an impact sub or full back/wing cover. He will be a handy player to have around for a cup run given his wealth of experience. Maybe we can finally win something again?

Â