Ashley Young

maqroll

Surely it is a sign of how far we have come in a very short space of time that the likes of Buendia and Ashley want to come to Villa. Our squad just keeps getting better and better. These are exciting times.

Surprised at people suggesting he’s not full back cover. He may have played wing back at Inter, but he played left back for Man U a lot at the end of his stint there. Including playing at LB for England in the 2018 World Cup. 

I think it’s a great bit of business. Experienced player. Yes, 35 YO but players are playing at the top level later and later. Can play a variety of positions. Gives us fullback cover whilst youngsters continue to develop/the club continues to build so that we can have a better replacement in the future. And only a 1 year deal so can’t really backfire. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thug said:

Have to admit, very surprised by this on a few different levels.

However, 12 months stop gap.

Maybe we’ve identified someone that we want, but isn’t realistically available until next season?

Excellent delivery, so set pieces should improve.  Covers a lot of different positions.

Provides a different set of attributes to AEG.  Much more likely to be better involved with intricate gameplay, a lot less direct.  

I suppose on the face of it, it’s a ‘no-brainier’.  A little disappointing not because it’s him, more that this clearly means that he is ‘the’ winger for this summer.  But if that’s to let us get target A or B next year rather than target C or D this year, then it makes perfect sense. Even at 36 he’s clearly good enough for inter minutes.  And let’s face it, they’re better than us.

Welcome home Ashley.

I’m not sure he’ll be “the winger” persay - what he offers is a LOT of utility. We’ve lost Taylor (LB) and El Mohammady (RB/RW) in the summer and Young can cover for all of those positions. He can play AML/AMR too.

So what we’ve bought is a very good utility player for a season who certainly has the ability to be starting plenty of games. Gives some of the youngsters another season to develop too.

I like it. 

8 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Will be interesting to see if he has improved his set pieces. My memories of him was he always demanded to take set pieces but rarely did anything good with them. But it was a long time ago so maybe my memory is wrong.

I was pretty sure he was after David Beckham free kick\corner assist record at one time? 

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

According to him, Antonio Conte is a very demanding manager, and his fitness levels are peak for it.

He is more than demanding, its ehy he wins so much and falls out with players. If you dont play his way he dumps you no matter your value or price

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He clearly more attack than defence at Inter in 352. Stats and highlights says as much. Can't see us going 352 

I think he will be left cover on a 4, he is capable defensively of playing there he did it for United and is only about 4 pr 5  games we will be under the cosh most of the season. He is more balanced than Taylor who offered nothing going forward 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not the must WOW transfer, but a sensible one. Bring in experience, decent skills and versatile in positions he can play. He can cover in many positions we are weak if an injury would happen, and he is a cheap acquisition. Thumbs up from me, even thou I am not overly excited. 

7 hours ago, QldVilla said:

My concern is we may have to play him regularly in that LB position which I don’t think he has the legs for. 

The Italian league is different it is known to lengthen players careers for a reason.

Nobody can be certain with any transfer.....look how we managed Macca's dodgy knees.

we will have to wait and see, but if NSWE can cover Ashley's wages, who are we to worry?

I see him playing sparingly.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He clearly more attack than defence at Inter in 352. Stats and highlights says as much. Can't see us going 352 

Have you seen how high our fullbacks play/press at times? And noticed Luiz dropping between the Centre Backs ? We don’t play  rigid stay in position football 

Â