Ashley Westwood

Nabby

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

"You care way too much about such an average player"

...says the person who is commenting almost as much as the person you're leveling that accusation at.

I'm criticising when I feel he deserves it and explaining why I feel people have started to boo him. I'm not defending every thing that's ever said about him. 

Big difference. 

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How old am I? And you'll defend someone just because they are a villa player. I used to think like that when I was 10. I'll support the players who wear the shirt but blindly defend them because they're a villa player? Nope, I've grown out of that one. 

It might seem like blind defending, when it is simply in response to blind 'criticism'. You conspicuously never have anything to say about that though. Conveniently silent when people are wishing broken legs on our own players. Where are your cries of "why do you care so much" when people are angrily posting about Westwood in random off-topic threads? Miss me with your faux-objectivity.

You say that you were simply stating why you feel he was booed, I got that and respectfully outlined why I felt that wasn't the case. 

• Like 1

I think the booing stems from frustration at the last few years' slump and it starting around the time he signed, personally I don't think he's that awful and he does what he does at a consistent steady level, nothing more nothing less, he's basically a very boring, unspectacular peripheral Aston Villa player and am surprised as many people have even noticed he's on the pitch to get so het up about him in the first place.

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Found this from March this year. Haven't seen stats from this season but can't imagine they've changed. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/find-out-how-far-gabby-11075810

I mean, there's enough to criticise him for without totally fabricating things. the ability often isn't there but lack of effort, while he's been a Villa player, definitely isn't something you can criticise Westwood for.

:cheers:

At the start of the season, I thought he was better than Gardner, but that was like comparing turds. They were both awful. Gardner is coming good now. I know we can see better from Westwood, he has played better before. Hopefully he can find more focus and direction under Bruce.

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

So, how does everyone rate Westwood as a player?! ;)

I think he was a promising defensive midfielder who excelled doing a possession based role. Against Man Utd a few years back he showed that when we keep possession as Lambert was trying to do at the time he was an extremely efficient passer who would never misplace a pass or fail to control the ball. 

Then when it all started going to shit he was still one of the better players but didn't have the attacking ability to get forward and pop up with enough goals. He's got a decent shot but not good enough to affect games.

Now we're in the championship we don't seem to have found a settled side until Bruce came in and he hasn't shone because we haven't had much possession all season.

He probably won't be right for us from now on because I doubt we'll find much use for him. But I remain convinced that he'll impress in a side which sees a lot of the ball.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2016 at 19:09, DCJonah said:

Hutton was exiled from the squad for years, came back and wasn't too bad for a while. He's also started around 86 games for us compared to the 129 that westwood has started. That's a huge difference. 

Clark was sold.

And there's no doubt in my mind gabby would be booed if he had been picked as much and played as poorly as westwood has over the last 12 to 18 months. 

Westwood also 'wasn't too bad for a while'. 

On 10/26/2016 at 10:40, Phumfeinz said:

Did I say that? No. I also said he barely tries and his effort every game is laughable. A model professional doesn't shy away from the ball or pull out of important challenges. Maybe read the whole post before you start sputtering out replies that aren't relevant.

How could you ever possibly know that? When you read that back, does that not strike you as an absurd comment?

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Westwood also 'wasn't too bad for a while'. 

How could you ever possibly know that? When you read that back, does that not strike you as an absurd comment?

I thought 'in my opinion' was pretty much implied with every post on here, I apologise for the confusion.

He barely tries, in my opinion.

On 26/10/2016 at 19:20, Mjvilla said:

So, how does everyone rate Westwood as a player?! ;)

I absolutely HATE him but I disagree with booing players so whenever he plays from now on I am going to hiss and jeer instead whilst making a thumbs down signal with the occasional throat slitting mime. 

• Like 1