Ashley Westwood

Nabby

28 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

How can booing the manager help AVFC?

Nobody ever has an issue with this. Why?

The players are protected so much, it's cringe worthy. 

Listening to drive time last night. According to Darren Gough, it's Aston villa and west brom's fault that gabby and berahino aren't in shape.

Villa have been poor for a number of season, and it isn't down to one player/manager, but the team as a collective. The manager has the biggest piece because they are the ones who pick the team and the tactics, but once they walk on the pitch it's down to the players. I don't think booing either is productive to the team.

The difference I do see in booing a manger over a players is a player is on the field, and has to perform for the team. The manager is on  the sidelines, and has to shout commands at the players. Much of what the manager says goes unheard, and players normally do what was set out before the game. The player is the center of attention, and if he is booed every time he touches the ball, this is going to put more pressure on them, which will bring more mistakes.

Westwood hasn't been a superstar, but he also hasn't been the worst player over the last five years. He has been to do a very boring job, and if it goes wrong people get on his back. This is the same reason defenders get a lot more stick than forwards do. Forwards can get away with a lot more because they score goals, but I'm pretty sure, if you were to add them up, our forwards make more mistakes than Westwood. Grealish gets away with stuff because he makes and assist or scores a goal once in a while, but he gives the ball away so much, and most of his dribbles end up with lose of possession.

This is a time to support everyone as we hope to continue to turn things around. Players need our support more than ever right now. and booing individuals isn't going to help.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

How can booing the manager help AVFC?

Nobody ever has an issue with this. Why?

The players are protected so much, it's cringe worthy. 

Listening to drive time last night. According to Darren Gough, it's Aston villa and west brom's fault that gabby and berahino aren't in shape.

? Where have I said any of that? I don't think the manager should be booed either. We all want the best for Aston Villa FC. Booing as the game goes on and shouting abuse does not seem to have a positive effect on the team, so why do it? I know it can be frustrating, we have all felt it over the years especially the last 5-6 years.

Gabby only has himself to blame for his actions over the last few years. I don't think he deserves any further chances at Villa as he has let us down badly over the last few years. If somehow he ends up playing a match for us at some point in the future, I don't see booing him when he touches the ball will help our fortunes as a team. We want to win, we need eleven players at their best to do so, booing 1 or 2 only weakens our chances IMO.

I understand booing in frustration at the end of the match, but answer me how booing a player while the game is ongoing is going to help that player and his team mates who are probably thinking WTF, we better not make any mistakes or we'll be next. All it achieves is making players fearful of making a mistake. 

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

? Where have I said any of that? I don't think the manager should be booed either. We all want the best for Aston Villa FC. Booing as the game goes on and shouting abuse does not seem to have a positive effect on the team, so why do it? I know it can be frustrating, we have all felt it over the years especially the last 5-6 years.

Gabby only has himself to blame for his actions over the last few years. I don't think he deserves any further chances at Villa as he has let us down badly over the last few years. If somehow he ends up playing a match for us at some point in the future, I don't see booing him when he touches the ball will help our fortunes as a team. We want to win, we need eleven players at their best to do so, booing 1 or 2 only weakens our chances IMO.

I understand booing in frustration at the end of the match, but answer me how booing a player while the game is ongoing is going to help that player and his team mates who are probably thinking WTF, we better not make any mistakes or we'll be next. All it achieves is making players fearful of making a mistake. 

I don't disagree with you and my response wasn't aimed at you. I just find it strange that nobody really said anything when 'sacked in the morning' chants were sang to RDM by the villa fans and yet people are piping up about Westwood being booed. Just find it a bit hypocritical from a whole fanbase POV.

Edited by Woodytom

As each player wears our shirt and runs onto the pitch,  they are our player. Sometimes some players don't play up to the expected standard. I would prefer people to be open with criticism, but booing is deconstructive. If anything, it sends players backwards, they will not feel comfortable walking out on the pitch, knowing they are damned whether they play a good game or not.

I wish Micah wasn't a lazy prick, and that he would play to the expectations we had prior to him coming. I wish Gabby could somehow recover the  form he had during the  MON days. I also wish that Westwood would play more consistently to the better, and improve his defence so he is not a human turnstile.

Criticism identifies the problems. Booing just amplifies them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I can't believe people are actually trying to defend the booing of one of our players. 

They're not. They are asking the question of why nobody really had a problem with villa fans jeering RDM?

I think it is another case of fans over protecting players which imo, isn't necessarily a good thing.

I don't think Ashley Westwood should be booed. But I think it's a fair question to ask why other associates of Aston villa have been booed and yet nobody seemed to mind.

10 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Fwiw, I don't boo. I don't go at all so I can't boo. But I wouldn't. 

But to call players our OWN. Nah not for me. Football is no longer 'the peoples game'. There's very little togetherness.

Not Ashley Westwood's fault. It's a sport of mercenaries. I have no time for them, they are a huge part of the problems within the game, and in the grand scheme of things..... asides from performing for villa, I don't give two shits about them as ppl.

I'm glad you don't go. As somebody who clearly either doesn't understand or care about the effect their negative attitude can have on others, I'd hate to be stood anywhere near you. Booing or no booing. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As somebody who clearly either doesn't understand or care about the effect their negative attitude can have on others.

Again, happy to discuss this over PM, as you seem to know a lot about me as a person..... enough it seems to criticise........ but again, I really don't see what it's got to do with Ashley Westwood?

14 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I don't disagree with you and my response wasn't aimed at you. I just find it strange that nobody really said anything when 'sacked in the morning' chants were sang to RDM by the villa fans and yet people are piping up about Westwood being booed. Just find it a bit hypocritical from a whole fanbase POV.

"Sacked in the morning" chants are also pretty shit, FWIW, but they're just not the same thing as a player receiving abuse/boos.

Did RDM have any impact on tackling the opponent?  On passing to a teammate?  Does booing/chanting at the manager make him directly less effective in doing his job?

We have a section of our "fans" that are shit - and that goes beyond booing Westwood.  Unfortunately, they turn up to our games.  Shame.

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

only heard game on radio and they said booing started for Westwood as his first touch gave it away

Which game?  He was loudly booed coming on to the pitch against Wolves and less audibly so (but still present) against Fulham.  There was also a huge cheer when he got subbed against Newcastle.

FWIW, I think Bruce has taken him out of the spotlight for exactly this reason.

15 hours ago, NeilS said:
17 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

booing our players is detrimental to our team.

Saved me some typing, this is spot on. Singling a player out for booing is just crazy, how on earth can it help Aston Villa FC?

It didn't save you any typing. Your response was still longer than the OP :P;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It didn't save you any typing. Your response was still longer than the OP :P;)

Haha I did realise this after I had hit the post button, I had hoped I had got away with it, Darn you BOF! Now responding to this message is costing me more typing! Arrrghhh. :D 

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

I noticed on Bacuna's instagram over the weekend that he had close family sat in the holte end for the game.

I suddenly thought of how many morons may have been sat around them and it made me cringe to think that it could so easily get back to Bacuna. Now I'm not too concerned about Bacuna specifically but I'd hate players to start considering our fan base to be full of some of the servile scum that unfortunately frequent our hallowed ground.

Off topic slightly but point being that we should be painting a positive image of villa fans as a whole and booing someone just cos you don't think they're very good is pathetic and potentially damaging.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 4