Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Just now, Zatman said:

He was a player that probably should not have been in that position. Should have been brought in to learn from a senior left back 

You could see his confidence crumble during our dire run in winter 2012-13.  It was not a happy time. Mind you that was the last time Gabby was actually a half decent footballer. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He was a player that probably should not have been in that position. Should have been brought in to learn from a senior left back 

His confidence took a battering quite early on and he never fully recovered. 

2 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Ridiculous statement. Bennett was nowhere near as bad as some made him out to be.

Another player in a long list of scapegoats. 

I always liked Bennett. Technically very good and could dribble. Wasn't given a fair chance of it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Maybe today he would have stood a chance he was decent enough technically he just had all the physicality of a bag of wotsits

Just seen this post. Yes that was his limitation, like to think he could have become stronger and grown into the position.

Bennett was **** garbage. Never in a million years a scapegoat.

60 career PL games (for a very bad Villa and a very bad Cardiff), the rest championship, because that's absolutely his level.

I remember my Boro fan mate being totally confused when we signed him. Then they signed George Friend for £100k who was better in every department.

0 PL apps for him. Funny world.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

He couldnt even remember Ashley Youngs name for a bit and he was his best player

To be fair to the bloke, it was over a decade ago and he's 70 in a few weeks. I'll forgive him taking a couple of seconds to remember a name.

• Like 1

I think we all on agreement Gabby was a bit of a ******* towards the end. But surely we cannot forget all the goals he scored for us when on form. Him and Young were the strike force alot of clubs wanted. Good times going VP in those days.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2022 at 10:25, The_Steve said:

Never forget

I'm so happy that we're at a point now where I can watch this and see the funny side. We're a million miles away from the disgrace that we were back then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I remember my Boro fan mate being totally confused when we signed him

The Villa scouting team obviously saw something your mate couldn't. Bennett definitely had a lot of potential.

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I think we all on agreement Gabby was a bit of a ******* towards the end. But surely we cannot forget all the goals he scored for us when on form. Him and Young were the strike force alot of clubs wanted. Good times going VP in those days.

Don't think we'll ever know why or who but someone at the club should have set his gym routine, whoever told him to bulk up made a mistake if he did it by himself then we should have managed him and got him back down 

He was unprofessional but so was the club

Totally unprofessional to criticise a manager coach when he's in line for a high profile job in a very public forum.

This just bad taste. The guy is an absolute prick.

Whilst the club was getting relegated you were falling out of clubs every weekend was fatter than Benni Mccarthy and slower than a week in jail at 27. Completely finished and shot to bits 

Shut the **** up. You and O'Hara. You're both an absolute waste of space 

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I always liked Bennett. Technically very good and could dribble. Wasn't given a fair chance of it.

Joe Bennett married the sister of one of my uni friends. Apparently he's a really nice bloke, but is *very* shy. Can't imagine he enjoyed the experience of playing at Villa as part of a leaky defence in front of a massive crowd of people that hate you.

• Like 3

Â