Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

If sherwood could get gabby confident and scoring again like he did with benteke and Abebayor we might have a decent striker. If I was coaching him I'd have him training extra hours of finishing.

the problem with that is, to get someone scoring 'again' they have to have been scoring previously. Gabby has never been a goalscorer, which for a striker is a bit baffling

• Like 2

wish we could get rid,  dont think we ever will

Not now he has another three years to run..

Blimey, I know he's quick, but that's showing some stamina too.

So running all the time and still going nowhere?

Seems about right

• Like 2

based on last night he's still running to close down the player on the ball who has about 3 different options on because no one else is pressing at the same time...

complete waste of time, we cant press as a team

if him and sinclair can get it right though (and they should be able to, our youngsters in the 2nd half were much better at it) it'll be good

Gabby having a killer season would be so great! He flatters to deceive a lot, but having him in the team pushes opposing defensive lines back, and that can give Gil and Graelish the space to wreak havoc. Imagine those two getting the time to do what they want in the attacking third, and then a player of Adebayor's quality to finish it off. Whilst Gabby might not be scoring or getting the assist his prescience can open things up for others to do what they do best.

Let's face it, Gabby won't deliver much more this season than he has in previous ones.

Maybe a bit less as his pace fades and doesn't seem to get replaced with guile.

Bit depressed that Sherwood is bigging him up.

Gabby's "presence"?  If i was a defender i wouldn't even bother with him as i would no that even if gets the ball the chance of him doing anything positive with it is between no chance and no f****** chance.

Let's face it, Gabby won't deliver much more this season than he has in previous ones.

Why? Sherwood is doing the only thing he can. 

Let's look at the situation objectively. We have three senior strikers in the squad currently: one of them has never started a Premier League game, one of them hasn't played a competitive match since spending eighteen months out with a double leg break, and one of them is Gabby. Yes, we'll probably try to sign at least one more striker, but there's no guarantee that'll happen before the opening fixtures, if it does at all. There's a real chance that Gabby will start on his own up top against Bournemouth, and possibly a few games thereafter. So isn't it better if Sherwood tries to boost his confidence and build him up a bit? He does have form for being good at this after all, even if Operation Rescue Gabby is going to be a lot harder than Operations Rescue Adebayor and Rescue Benteke. 

If sherwood could get gabby confident and scoring again like he did with benteke and Abebayor we might have a decent striker. If I was coaching him I'd have him training extra hours of finishing.

the problem with that is, to get someone scoring 'again' they have to have been scoring previously. Gabby has never been a goalscorer, which for a striker is a bit baffling

This is Aston Villa, we like to sign strikers that dont score goals

Gabby is one of the most overated strikers in the PL. All he really has is pace and that is dwindling as he gets older. The reason he is still at Villa is because nobody else wants him.

• Like 4

Over-rated by who though? Not by the fans. And the fact that "nobody else wants him" would suggest that they don't particularly rate him either.

• Like 3

It would not bother me in the slightest if he were to go

If we can get 3 - 4 mill for him and activate Callum Wilson's clause for 7 mill if it exists a younger and more hungrier variant

• Like 2

Over-rated by who though? Not by the fans. And the fact that "nobody else wants him" would suggest that they don't particularly rate him either.

Exactly my thoughts.

Most villa fans seem to think he's alright.

That's about as highly rated as he gets.

• Like 1

why wont he? Hes played on the wing for the past so many years.

why wont he? Hes played on the wing for the past so many years.

Yes, because he is cack.

If Gabby starts v Bournemouth first game of the season I think we will have major problems this season. He wasn't good enough 5 years ago let alone now, he's getting worse year on year and his returns will be very poor. Pure luggage.

• Like 2

The fact is he has scored 27 league goals in 148 in the last six seasons. A one in 5 striker.  12/13 is the only time he has managed double figures when you include cup goals since the O'Neill years. And that feels a long, long,long, time ago. I  know he has had some injuries and we had some poor seasons but still. If he was a random signing bought about 2 years ago he would have been sold now. Last chance this season, minimum target 10 goals.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â